0 comments

African American American Coming of Age

On nights like these, you will never run into a person doing something crazy. I will never forget this night. It was the night I got arrested for a crime that I didn’t commit. I was strolling through the streets that night. It was so quiet outside, that the only thing you could hear were the crickets chirping. I was on my way home when someone ran past me and almost knocked me over. I stood there silently because my body was flowing with anger because they didn’t say excuse me or anything. As I started walking I heard something hit the floor. “Clink”. I turned around to see what it was and it was a knife. I couldn’t see it clearly, so I picked it up and I noticed it was leaking with blood. I freaked out because not my DNA was all over this weapon. 

At this point, my mind was spazzing out because I didn’t know what to do. I felt something slightly wet on my jacket and I noticed it was blood on me. “ where did this come from” I thought to myself. And I remembered the person that bumped. I started to run not realizing that I had that knife still in my hand. I didn’t know where to go. I didn’t want to get blamed for what ever this was. As I was running I ended up tripping over something big. I fell and didn’t see what I tripped over. I got up and realized that I was cover in blood. It was a body. At this point, I felt stuck. From a distance, I heard a scream. “ Ahhhh !”.

I just stood there because I knew If I ran I would’ve been guilty. A few minutes later the cops arrived. I felt a chill run through my body, I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t talk. At this point, my life was over. As I slowly put my hands up I heard that “clink” noise again. I realized I had the knife in my hand this whole time. At this point, it was on the floor. Now I know this murder is about to be pinned on me. The officer walked over to me and asked me what my name was. “My name is Ezekiel,” I said nervously. The officer handcuffed me and read my rights to me and put me in the back of the cop car. 

At this point, I wanted to die because I’m a black man with a young woman's blood all over me. You know we black men always get time for something that we didn’t commit. We got to the station and I was put in an interrogation room.

Detective Hunter came into the room and started interrogating Ezekiel.

“What happened ?”.

“ I was walking home and got bumped by this person. I didn’t think much of it because it was late and I didn’t want to start anything. I heard something drop on the ground as they ran by and I figured it was just keys or something. As I got closer I saw that it was a knife. I picked it up and blood was dripping all down it. 

“That doesn’t explain the blood on your sweater”. 

“Please let me finish as this is hard for me to explain.”

“Go on.”

“ I felt something wet on my sweater, and I looked down and noticed that it was blood on me. I freaked out and started running.”

“Where were you running too?”.

“I was running home because I didn’t know what to do. As I was running I tripped over something and didn’t realize it was a body until I got up”. 

“ But you were holding the weapon in your hand”. 

“ I explained to you what happened, and how the knife ended up in my hand. I picked it up because I thought it was something important to the person that was running”.

“ You think I’ll believe a little shit like you. Why did you do this ? Why did you kill that poor girl?”.

“ I didn’t kill anyone. You have to believe me. Please please”.

Detective Hunter left the room and watched Ezekiel's behavior from behind the window. “ This doesn’t add up,” Hunter said out loud. “ What do you think happened ?” Amelia respond. “ I don’t know but I have a gut feeling about this one”. It’s always a black person that people get a gut feeling about. Detective Hunter went back into the room and said: “come on boy I’m taking you to get book”. 

Ezekiel started crying because he knew what they were doing was wrong. As Ezekiel and detective Hunter walked down the hall detective Hunter took out his piton and bashed Ezekiel in the head with it. Ezekiel fell to the ground and tried to hold every piece of emotion in that he could. “ That’s what you get for killing that woman. As Ezekiel got to the fingerprint station, blood started dripping down his head. In mid fingerprint detective, Hunter received a chirp on his walkie-talkie. 

“ What do you mean we have the wrong guy” detective Hunter said. According to the officer on the other end, the woman who was stabbed survived and gave the paramedics the actual person who committed the stabbing. Detective Hunter paused for a second and started to feel bad about what he just did to this man. Detective Hunter told him to sit down. Ezekiel sat down and started wiping the blood off his eye with his hand. Detective Hunter walked back over to Ezekiel and handed him a paper towel to wipe the blood off.

“ According to officer Carson, we arrested the wrong person”. 

Ezekiel sat there shaking in anger not knowing how to feel. He popped up and started yelling “ I told you that you had the wrong person. You were so against my skin color that you didn’t want to see the truth. I want to get out of here now, and I will be pressing charges against you because of what you did to my eye”. 

“Boy sit down”. 

“I am a man. Get me the hell out these cuffs”.

Detective Hunter walked Ezekiel to the front of the station to have him fill out some papers. After the paperwork was completed Ezekiel was set to go. Detective Hunter tried to apologize to Ezekiel but all Ezekiel could say was “screw you”. Detective Hunter stood there for a while and Amelia walked over to him and said “ hmm, what did I tell you about the gut feelings. Sometimes they are never right”.

December 12, 2020 09:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.