0 comments

Fiction

Martin bruno was excited to be back and see his kids , his ex wife , his old home. He didnt harbor any resentment for the way things ended sometime things happen that way. And some of the blame, well almost all the blame lay on him. He wasnt perfect by any means. He cheated on his wife and was sorry about it but he wanted to come back and see her again. Make sure the kids saw their parents coexisting. They were teenagers so it didnt hit them so hard. They were in their own little world with no care for anyone else. He asked to bring his new wife to the family gathering and his ex said fine you can bring her but first she wanted dto look at her see a picture make sure to see who was replacing her. See the thing is she didnt want a smoking hot chick by his side she wouldnt have been able to handle it. She saw her picture thought man I look better than her. This is who he replaced me with. What a loser. She told him it was okay but he still didnt feel comfortable bringing her there, his wife was ok but what about the kids how do you bring something like that up. Here is my new wife the one that tore our family apart. Yeah tricky conversation to have. He wanted to see his kids with a new life he didnt get to see them much. So he could not leave his wife at home by herself while he saw his kids he had to bring her along. Yeah she helped him go through a tough time. She was his rock. He was not getting along with his wife drinking again getting into old bad habits. She was not a homewrecker their marriage was headed for divorce anyway. But the kids didnt know that and should never know that. She was a student of his , very smart, great person. She was not interested in him but a soon as he saw her he knew she was the one. She was stuck home couldnt fly because of the Coronavirus so why not, he didnt want to leave her at home, alone. That seemed cruel punishment. He spoke to his ex yeah do you need anything want me to bring you anything for the family dinner. A red wine would be nice. Dont mention it was his response. They got dressed real nice, Lucy went to the salon and had her done. She wanted to destroy the ex and win that battle. They got there around 5pm, they meant to be there a little earlier but traffic was too much. With so many travellers , so many cars on the road it was hard to get through. They got there knocked on the door. He asked Lucy you ok? A little nervous was her response. Itll be fine they are all going to love you he told her. I doubt that she said. Dont put any pressure on yourself. She took a deep breath and decided to listen to her husband and be calm and collected for the night. His ex wife mary opened the door. When she opened the door she was taken aback by how stunning she looked and how young she was. What was she like a 20, 21 year old woman. She promised herself she wouldnt act with any jealousy towards this woman. She was partly to blame for the divorce she saw him drifting away and didnt do anything to help him. She let him go off into another dimension. She snapped back to reality, remembering her kids were her and needed to se her behave like a grown up. Come on in, come on in she told them. Yes can I take your coat, good she thought act normal I'm going to behave like a good hostess. She took their coats and ushered them into the living room. She put their coats away, snuck a peek at Lucy's ID. She hated herself for it but she had to do it. She came back tot he living room and called out to thekids, sam, and Sara come down your father is here. They were busy playing with the ps5 they didnt want to be bothered. In a minute mom they yelled from their room upstairs. Do I have to come up there and get you come down this instant she screamed. Right now. The whole neighborhood heard her. Alright mom. They came down greeted their father and his new wife. They had seen her before but only one other time at the wedding. But there was still a displeasing thing there you see they weren't comfortable with her not yet. They were still rough around the edges with her. Say hi to lucy kids she got up to say hi and shake their hands but they left her hand hanging there I raised you better than that kids, shake her hand, she looked at him and shook her head and added it is fine they want to go back upstairs and play their video games. Alright it was nice meeting you two she told them. They went back up. He tried to apologize for their kids behavior but she didn seem to mind too much. I mean it it is fine. I am a new person in their life it would take time she said. Whay theybdid was perfectly normal. Mary came in and told them Thanksgiving dinner would be ready in ten minutes. Great. So what have you 2 been up to? Lucy told her they were planning a family so she has decide to put her career on hold for now. She wanted to be a writer but that will have to wait for now. She said. I would much rather be a mom. Surprised because she always thought of herself as a career woman not someone to stay home all day. Mary didn't want to talk about that so she steered the conversation away from that and asked about work, corona. Yeah we are managing now like everyone else in this time. They sat there discussing politics, current events, the recent election. What do you think of biden and harris attempting anything to make small talk. I am so glad that dictator in chief is out of office and we booted him out of there. Yeah trump talk dominated the next ten minutes. Oh the bell sounded and dinner was ready. Ill get the turkey you two sit down on the dinner table. She called up for the kids to come down, dont make me yell or else you will regret she told them. She brought out the food placed on the table and told everyone to serve themselves. Eat, eat proud of herself and her masterpiece she put on the table. She sat next to her two kids, staring across her ex and his new wife. She tried to hide any feelings of remorse or jealousy for her kids sake. She kept constant vigil over her kids making sure they were eating and not being depressed over the situation. Look at this what a great happy family she added. Her kids were getting use to this new normal. She would make allowances for anything they felt it was strange seeing their father with a new woman. They ate their dinner and after it was over went over to Lucy and gave her a big hug. All the adults were moved to tears.

November 27, 2020 09:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.