My favorite place when I was a child

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who returns as an adult to a place they last visited as a child.... view prompt

1 comment

General

I entered the park and for a while I just stood on the side walk. It was unbelievable to me that was here again after so many years. 

I had not been here since I was a little kid. Place sure looks different when you are older and taller. 

I walked down Main Street and took in the sights. This time I understood what the words in the windows meant.

I stood and watched the kids approach the characters. It brought back memories of when I did that. It made me laugh. 

I walked further into the park made a turn into one of the lands. It was different from when I last seen it. New rides, new sights, even new games. 

I walked around checking out the rides. I finally decided to try the Star Wars one. It was pretty obvious this ride was popular. While in line someone asked me, “have you been on this ride before?”

I shook my head. “No, this will be my first time. What about you?”

“My first time too. I was hoping I could find out what it was like.”

What a thrill it was great fun. The next one was a roller coaster. It was weird being able to go on a ride I had not been able to when I was a kid because I was too short. 

I walked around a little more then moved on to another land. This one I remembered. The water ride with all of dolls singing the same song over and over. Got off and headed for the castle. 

I remembered these rides. All inside, except for the carousel. A little girl looked up at me as I sat on my horse. 

“I wanted that horse,” she said in a whiny voice.”

Her mother quickly intervened. “Darling that’s not very nice. Find another horse. She looked at me. “I’m sorry, she usually not so rude. 

I looked down at the girl and could tell from the look on her face she was tired. I then smiled at the mother.

“That’s all right ma’am I don’t mind.”  I got off the horse and found another one to ride. 

“What do you say to the nice man?” She asked her daughter. 

“Thank you,”the little girl said. 

I smiled. “You are most welcome.” I said. Just then the ride started

Even though I was an adult, I had to ride them all. After I left this land I headed for the nearest restaurant. I got a hamburger, fries and a coke. I felt like a teen again. There was something about this place. It made you feel young again. 

Finished eating and headed for the next land. The old frontier. This land really brought back memories. I was disappointed that the shooting gallery was gone but it was probably due to the times. At least they still had raccoon hats. I guess my head got bigger. Hat was a bit small. So I put it back. I walked down the street to the entrance to the mark twain. 

Maybe not the most exciting ride, but still lots of fun. It was just as I remembered. Went around Tom Sawyer island and back to the beginning. Got off and walked over to big thunder train.

It’s a roller coaster. Another ride I couldn’t get on when I was a kid. So you can bet I got on it this time. I even raised my arms along with the teens. What fun it was. 

From there I wandered over to adventure land. There was a new attraction there. Indiana Jones type of ride. I thought what the heck, I’d give it a try. I had loved the movies. 

If you ever get to this magical park, go on this ride. It is a thrill a minute. Just loved it. 

Went on a much tamer ride after that, the jungle cruise. Thank goodness it had not changed. Even the jokes were the same. I was having a wonderful time and the day was just started. 

I went to the next land which isn’t a land it’s a square. Pirates had some changes since the last time I was in on it. That movie with Johnny Depp in it, part of the ride included his character. After the ride ended I stepped out of the boat, went down the ramp and into the pirate store.  Didn’t buy anything but it was fascinating just to look around.  I left the store and walked down the street. There was a jazz band playing around the corner, so I stopped and listened for awhile.

Next was a haunted mansion. Even as a kid I liked this ride. A child in front of me in line asked “is it scary?”

I looked down at him and smiled. “Well it depends. Do you like being scared?”

He vigorously nodded his head.

“Then parts are scary,” I replied. 

“Cool,” he said. 

I was soon inside and in my buggy. I was pleased to see this ride had not changed either. 

The boy who I had talked to was outside. He saw me and came over. “Thank you mister. That ride was cool.”

“Glad you liked it,” I said. He ran off and rejoined his family. 

The next land had really changed. Even it’s name had changed.  I wasn’t into Pooh so skipped that,  but went on splash mountain.  My first purchase of the day was my photo going over the falls at the end of the ride. 

I decided now was time to buy some souvenirs. As I retraced my steps back through the park, I stopped at stores. I bought a t-shirt, ears with the names of the people I promised to get something for them. Got selfies of me with various characters. 

Got on one last ride, then strolled down Main Street. I was so happy. I had, had the time of my life.  I really think I had a better time as an adult. One last look and picture before exiting the gate. 

I got in line for the last ride, the tram to the hotel. I didn’t know how tired I was until I entered the room and sat on the bed. 

I was almost disappointed that I had to drive home in the morning, but I had memories that would last me a lifetime. 

July 21, 2020 22:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mustang Patty
14:12 Jul 27, 2020

This story certainly met the component of the prompt. I enjoyed it very much. This sentence is missing a word, 'It was unbelievable to me that was here again after so many years.' It is easy to identify this type of error if your first step of the editing process is to read the piece out loud. It helps you to identify missing words, overused words, and phrases that could be considered trite or cliche. KEEP WRITING, ~mp~

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.