0 comments

General

Dear diary: 

I am really sorry that I could not write for one day.

Do you know what happened?

Check it out : Yesterday at around ten thirty or eleven I arrived home after a seriously busy day, going to school, then to the market  and finally to help around my grandmother's house - it was her birthday!! – 

Totally tired, I took a cold shower as the afternoon was so hot – and started to watch television.

Sleepy, I put on my pajamas, and crawl to my bed, almost closing my eyes.

 But, specifically that night, I got a bit anxious for something I didn’t know about. 

Can you believe that was already in bed, after the shower counting the sheeps ti fall asleep : one sheep, two sheeps, three sheeps, no! Again, one sheep, two sheeps, three sheeps , four sheeps, five… but I could not finish counting : 

it will not make it – it was not my thinking but a thinking that should have been inside my head, while I was wearing my pajamas, and tidying my bed. 

Take a look, this pillow is too, but too thick for my short neck . I better throw it away – so that is what I did, throwing the pillow to the floor, when I suddenly I opened my eyes and saw the shadow of two sticks moving in front of the wooden closet's door.

- Is just my imagination, I said feeling he presence of something alive in the bedroom.

What could that be? 

So, in order to look for the answer to my anxiety,  I stood up.

They were there: a pair of anthems a cockroach, big and fatty taking its ride over the carpet – my heart stopped on desperation and my eyes almost fell down from its socket.

With my hands shaking, I took a long time to think.on what should.i do  as I hated these bad-remembrances I had from it during my childhood, when I was exactly in the same situation, that was my bedtime but then a cockroach appeared on the ceiling of that old house that my family and me used to live.

That day, I remember so clearly now, I was extremely tired, and longing to sleep.

- Should I stay here, over my bed and wait for it to run away,? Or, should I kill it ? But, the point is that I am not confident enough to do it – I thought, while the roach was looking at me for sure

I think I was a lot more scared than it.

So, what else could I do?

I started to move my pink blankets, just to see if I could frighten the roach, so she would run away and leave me alone.

It did not frightened as it started to run in circles over the carpet, getting closer to my bed.

- What if it comes to my bed? – I thought, certainly feeling a lot guilty for having such a bad idea.

- Don’t get closer ! - talking to the insect, pointing a finger, and getting on my knees to see exactly where it was going to or heading to. 

It went under my bed .

No! 

I will never sleep in this bed. 

I will call somebody else to help me.


So, I took my cell phone and started to look for somebody that could be awaken at that time of the night and, more important  online.

And, yes ! my mom was online.

But, far..

- She will.not come from Oklahoma to California just because of a cockroach.

- She is probably sleeping now, as she works twenty hours a day, the poor thing – I said, taking a look to my list of contacts in the phone : this one is travelling, this other is not connected, that one I hate – but, the one I like, that handsome boy from the vet school …is he in my list? Damn! He wasn’t. 

What can I do now? – in that moment j think I lost completely my control, dear diary, b cause I wanted to rest, and you are the only one that knows I like that boy, very much.

And I was there, on bed, with a huge moonlight over my bed and a terrorific beast staring at me.

What could I have done?

Went on looking for more contacts but, unfortunately  all of them were not on line.

So I could not send a message.

- Maybe I can fetch that bug spray to kill it.

But it is in the kitchen, so I will have to get out of bed and run to look for it or the roach can get into my bed.

Determined to do it, I jumped from bed, and run to the kitchen, barefoot, of course as my slippers were under the bed – and I will.not get it anymore, as the roach is certainly inside the slippers .

So, I found the holly bugkiller, and sprayed it under the bed, over the bed in my slippers  in the curtains that were half covering the big and romantic glass window.

And after some.mjnutes, like five or ten.minutes UK be.more precise  the bug showed up. 

Dizzy.

Walking back and forth.

I would have said : she is dying.

For my relief in some fifteen minutes she was dead.

And, in.somi.mote ten.or fifteen minutes, the ants came in a row, to finish the service and eat it up.

That is how I started to love ants.

( To be more precisely: love at first sight, as they were saviours for me )

But as I was taking a look at my watch, I could see that it was ten to two o’clock in the morning. 

- That is how I will end up my day – I said to myself, hopeless .

So I went back to my bed  looking ag the moonlight that this time have hidden itself in the middle of my curtains.

Tidying again my blankets, and coughing a bit because of the spray, I got into the bed again.

I threw one pillow from the bed., as I had three thick ones.

And this other too – and so did it again.

Now, I think it is better.

I think this position is comfortable.

Again: one sheep  two sheeps, three sheeps  four sheeps  five sheeps..

- Wait a minute I said , I have to turn the fan on.

The room has s bad smell because if the spray.

So I stood up again


As I went back to my bed, a thunder interfered with my sweet dreams about him.

- Is it going to rain? – I wondered watching at the clock : it was almost three thirty. 

So j better close the window - and obviously I stood up again, rousing to get it closed.

J weng back to bed eyes wide opened.

And started to count the sheeps  all over again :

- One sheep, two sheeps, three sheeps … Wait, I can’t fall asleep.

So, that is how I spent the night, without finishing to count the sheeps, and without him.

That was not a good way to spend the night nor a good excuse for not writing to you dear diary.

But, I promise, that from now on I will write every single day.

Bye and kisses.

Susan.




April 05, 2020 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.