0 comments

Drama

Jacob thought it would never come to this. Changing everything. Ruining their lives. But now things had truly become unbearable and something had to change. Putting fingers to keyboard he hesitated a brief second typing out the contents of his new will. As he typed it out, he remembered bitterly how it all came to this.

“You’ve always been a sentimental old fool.” His speech slurring from his eighth brandy. He spoke to himself as he so often did these last few weeks. It wouldn’t be the cancer that killed him but the loneliness. How he wished his children could inherit his lifetime work and savings.

13 months ago his life was turned upside down when being diagnosed with cancer. Rather than allow himself to wallow in self-pity, he took it upon himself to write out his first will and his bucket list. How would he tell his family hadn’t even occurred to him. This was now a time to put his affairs in order and live.

Leaving the hospital was breath of fresh air. For the first time he felt free and that anything was a possibility. The first thing he would do was buy 5 double cheeseburgers topped with squirty cream, strawberries, syrup, sherbert all washed down with a bottle of vodka and tequila.

He was found two days later covered in his own vomit smelling of brandy and burgers. His 3 children glad that he was safe for now.

“What do you mean cancer?”

“I am not sure how much clearer I can be. CAN-CER. Is that clearer for you to understand Isiah?” Jacob said shaking his not sure what was so difficult to understand.

“I know what it is Dad. I – just, it is a lot to take in.” Being the oldest Isiah enjoyed trying to take control. However this seemed to leave him desperate for words. The other two Joanne and Thomas were just sitting in the corner digesting everything but saying nothing.

“Imagine how I feel I am the one that is dying haha. Perhaps if I give it to you, you will understand haha.”

“Well it is glad to see you haven’t lost your dad joke sense of humour. What do you plan to do now dad?” Despite not saying anything initially it seemed that Joanne was taking it better than the others Jacob thought.

“Well now I intend to travel, eat and spend my accumulated wealth on my bucket list.”

“What do you mean spend your wealth? What are we going to get when you die?” Said Thomas snapping at his father.

Jacob remembered that day well and remembered how Thomas’s words stung. It seemed all he thought about was his money and what he could get from his dad. Wiping away his tears he continued typing out his new will.

Before Jacob could even respond Joanne cut in to admonish his brother. “Our dad says he has cancer and the first thing you think about is what money are going to get.” Her voice becoming louder tot hose around her. “If he wants to spend it let him. He worked for his money so he can do what he wants.

“I am just being practical. Not all of us have the luxury.”

“Luxury, luxury you want to talk about luxury. You have done nothing but harass our father for years. Some of us work hard to get to where we are, you filthy begging ponse.” Joanne’s nostrils flaring as shot daggers at Thomas.

Jacob not wanting to be involved decided to leave but as he did, he could hear Isiah sticking up for his brother exclaiming that the money was there birth right. Their inheritance. He felt guilty leaving Joanne, but she would understand.

A few days went by and Jacob was ready to tick of two items from his bucket list. One was buying a 1967 black chevy impala the other booking an overnight stay in a haunted house. Both a minor drop in his savings barely scratching at the surface. He had even book a place for Joanne. Visiting her to let her know would be a great way to show off his car.

Pulling up he could see Isiah was there as well and thought he knocked on the door he hoped an argument would not break out.

“Come on in dad Isiah and I are just having tea. How comes you have come over?”

“Well I wanted to let you know that I have bought the supernatural car and booked an over night stay for both of us in a haunted house.” His excitement was clear and so was Joanne’s. Supernatural was their favourite show.

“And how much did the car cost dad. Those things aren’t cheap you know.” Though Isiah tried to keep his tone friendly the accusation was clear.

“It doesn’t concern you. It is my money until I die. Anyway hopeful Jo I will be able to drive us there.” Jacob clearly wanted a change of conversation and hoped the finality was enough to stop Isiah.

“That’s great d-“

“What do you mean none of my concern. I just don’t want you to be spending money unnecessarily.” Isiah was unable to hide his motivations. Jacob knew only too well what his son was like.

“You are not concerned for me. You’re worried that I may spend MY money and you will be left with less than you hope.” Jacob wanting to move past this looked at Joanne to help.

“You and Thomas are the same. Only concerned for dad when his money is involved.”

Isiah looked a little annoyed at the accusation and always resented his sister for thinking this about him and his brother. “That’s not it dad. I am worried, I always have been.”

Jacob scoffed at his son at the very idea he cared. “That’s laughable. Your concern has always been the money. When have you and Thomas helped me, come round to see me for a chat. You and Tom only see me to borrow money. Once you have it then I don’t see you for days. Joanne on the other hand works hard and doesn’t ask me for a penny. I have a will, and everything is shared equally”

“OH YOUR FAVOURITE DOESN’T ASK YOU FOR MONEY. WE MUSN’T UPSET HER.”

“THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JOANNE. THIS HAS TO DO WITH ME. I HAVE CANCER, I MADE MY MONEY AND I WILL SPEND IT HOW I WISH. I’M GOING TO BOOK CRUISE AND TRAVEL THE WORLD. YOU NEED TO GROW UP AND STOP RELYING ON DADDY.” By now father now father and were involved in a shouting match until the inevitable.

“Why would you do that Isiah? Why?” Joanne continued to scream and pound at his chest as he stood there shocked and in disbelief at his own actions. Jacob rose from the floor grabbing his eye as blood poured down his face. Without uttering a single word at his sister or father, Isiah left.

Over the next 2 months the greed and desire from his sons began to escalate. Both had taken it upon themselves to hound at their sister determined to take her share of the inheritance. Trying to guilt trip her by using her success against her. Why is it her problem that she has more money a job and the respect of her father. When that didn’t work both began to hurl abuse continuously informing her it was her duty to ensure they all had money and an equal share.

In a last-ditch attempt to save his family Jacob had organised a family meal hoping to bring his family together. This was not how he wanted his final 6 months. He wanted to explain that everyone was getting an equal share. For now he wanted to share his final few months enjoying his life and enjoying it with his family.

However it was no good. Both sons lambasted their dad for going on a cruise and booking flights abroad. They were only concerned with getting as much money as possible. The final straw came when both sons verbally and physically attacked their sister for defending her father. Once the police were called and left Jacob had made his final decision.

After months of arguing and petty squabbling Jacob thought he was left with no option. The new will he was typing would leave everything to his daughter. His sons actions despicable and not deserving of anything. He would state that his daughter is not to share with her brothers and that they are to live their life not relying on anyone. He would counsel his daughter privately that if they cannot reconcile then to move on and leave her brothers behind and start a new life.

September 03, 2020 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.