0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Happy

Fifty something, Joyce, loved Halloween. It brought back happy childhood memories, when life was simple. Her life was anything but simple now as a divorced mom of two grown children. Someone always needed something, and her paycheck rarely stretched until the next one. Soon her shift would be over, but she didn’t really want to go home to an empty house.

           The diner had been busy with customers - most excited for Halloween, but there were a few who didn’t like their routines interrupted by a holiday.

           “Mom! Mom! When can we go trick or treating?” 8-year-old, Michael asked, for the tenth time. He was hyped up on sugar from his school Halloween party, and his T-Rex costume kept bumping everything.

           “After dinner,” Kelly answered, patiently. “Watch out, Michael,” she warned, as she opened the diner door, and he almost bopped his brother with his tail.

           “Happy Halloween,” Joyce greeted them. Her fancy black and purple witch hat kept tipping to the side when she moved. 

           “Hey, Joyce. Nice hat,” Kelly told her, grabbing Jack’s hand when he started to wander.

           “You boys look terrific,” Joyce said, leading them to a booth. “You must be so excited.”

           “I don’t want to eat dinner,” Michael whined, taking up one side of the booth with his bulky costume.

           “Choo, choo,” piped up, 2-year-old, Jack,

           “And you must be a train engineer,” Joyce smiled. “He even has soot on his face,” she admired.

           “This is Jack’s first-time trick or treating,” Kelly mentioned. They were regulars at the diner and Joyce had become a friend. 

           “He’s going to slow me down,” Michael complained, taking off his mask.

           “We’ll just have grilled cheese and a vegetable,” Kelly ordered, a little flustered. She got out of work late and her over excited children were anxious to start trick or treating. Michael was in a pout because he wanted to catch up with his friends.

           “And I’ll have a salad,” Kelly told Joyce, handing back the menus.

           “Thanks. I’ll be back with your food.”

           Joyce loved seeing all the kids dressed up; she was always amazed at the creativity. Plus, it was a holiday for all ages. Each year she planned her own costume, and the customers got a kick out of it. Maybe one day she would have grandchildren to take trick or treating and she could enjoy the festivities with them.

           “Here you go,” Joyce said, returning with an armload of plates. “So, what’s your plan?” she asked, Michael, who began picking at his food.

           Michael just scowled at his green beans then finally took a reluctant bite of his sandwich.

           “We’re hitting this neighborhood first,” Kelly answered for him. “Then we’ll go by the school.”

           “I’m meeting my friends and we’re going to get tons of candy,” Michael finally smiled.

           “Well, here’s a treat for later,” Joyce said, handing them each a piece of candy. 

           “For after dinner,” Kelly reminded them.

           “My shift is ending soon, if you want some company?” Joyce said, readjusting her hat.

           “I’d love it, Joyce,” Kelly brightened.

           “Great. I haven’t done this for years,” she beamed. “I’ll get us some hot chocolate to go. It’s getting chilly.”

           “Is it time to meet my friends yet?” Michael wanted to know.

           “Soon, baby,” Kelly assured him, feeding a green bean to her youngest.

           By the time the bill was settled, Michael was bouncing with energy. Little Jack just mimicked his big brother.

           “Come on, Mom,” Michael begged, the first one out the door.

           The cool, crisp night greeted them, and the moon filtered through the clouds adding to the spooky atmosphere.

           Michael tugged on his mom and headed for the first house, but 2-year-old Jack couldn’t keep his brother’s pace. He seemed more interested in his train whistle than running after his brother.

           “I got him,” Joyce said, reaching for Jack’s hand. “You go ahead. We’ll catch up.”

           Jack willingly took Joyce’s hand and she wondered when the last time was, she’d held such a small, delicate hand. As they strolled after them, Joyce reveled in the feel of his hand in hers. He looked up at her with such trusting eyes. He continued to chatter as they walked, in his own world. Children rushed by them on either side. When they reached the house where Michael and Kelly had gone, they were already halfway down the walkway heading for the next house. Michael shaking his treat bag in triumph.

           Joyce knocked on the door. “Okay, Jack. Say trick or treat,” she directed, when the door was opened.

           Instead, he blew his train whistle and grinned the biggest smile.

           The homeowners gushed over his costume and his dark curls.

           “Say, thank you,” Joyce said, after they dropped candy in his bag.

           “Tank you,” he crooned.

           Joyce’s heart melted. As they clambered back down the steps another group of kids were coming up. One kid had on a scary monster mask, so Joyce pulled Jack to the side.

           “Boo!” the scary mask said to Jack. Jack just looked at him with a serious expression, like he didn’t know what to make of him. He intently watched the others as they approached the house.          

           “Come on, Jack. Let’s go to the next house,” Joyce urged.

           As they went from house to house, Jack seemed to start to get it. He seemed amazed at all the children around him and the candy now lining his bag. They had yet to catch up with Kelly and Michael - they seemed swallowed in the crowds. Lucky for Joyce they’d decided to meet back at the dinner.

           Jack seemed like an easy-going child. He meandered up the sidewalks just as taken with the decorations and pumpkins as with the costumes and candy. He seemed enthralled by it all and Joyce loved seeing it through his eyes. The night was quickly getting chilly and Joyce looked at her watch. 

           “Maybe just one more house,” she told Jack, who was sucking on a lollipop.

           The house at the end of the street was all decked out. Webs and giant spiders were hanging from the trees, and when they knocked on the door a scary voice called out to them. Jack hid behind her legs and peaked out.

           “It’s okay,” she told him.

           Very slowly an old man shuffled to the door. He had a long white beard and a black robe. 

           “Who do we have here, sonny,” he said, in a high-pitched voice.

           Jack looked up at him with serious eyes - not sure what to make of him.

           “It’s okay, sonny,” he smiled. “Have a treat,” he said, plopping some candy in the bag Joyce held out for him.

           After that, Jack seemed to tire quickly, and Joyce hoisted him onto her hip and headed back to the diner. “Boy, you’re an armful. All that candy must have weighed you down,” she joked.

           When they got back to the bright lights of the diner, Joyce settled Jack into a booth. Candy smudges mixed with the soot on his face and he seemed rather dazed by all the excitement. The night seemed to have caught up with him.

           Just then Kelly and Michael burst through the door.

           “Look, Jack,” Michael said, dumping his bag on the table. Candy scattered everywhere. “I got the most candy!” he exclaimed, sorting through it all. “You can have some if you want,” he offered his little brother.

           “Yum, yum, yum,” Jack said, in a sugar stupor.

           “I’ll get us some coffee,” Joyce said.

           “Can I have a soda?” Michael asked.

           “Oh, no,” Kelly said, emphatically. “You’re already hyper enough. Let’s put your candy away until we get home.”

           “I’m going to count it,” he said, and began putting the candy back one at a time.

           Joyce came back with two coffees and joined them at the table. 

           “Well, you guys made my night,” Joyce said, sitting back. 

           “Thank you so much for helping,” Kelly said.  “I don’t know about you, but I’m pooped. And I think you need a bath,” she said, wiping Jack’s face with a napkin. “You are sticky.”

           As Joyce went home that night, she was content. When she opened her door, she was surprised to find her daughter stretched out on the couch watching a scary movie.

           “You’re late, Mom. Come sit and watch a movie with me.”

           Putting her witch hat aside, Joyce joined her.

           “I made cupcakes,” she told her.

           “I didn’t think you’d be home,” Joyce admitted. “I thought you were going to a party.”

           “It was lame. Besides, I always liked spending Halloween with you. You always made it so much fun when we were kids.”

           “We did have fun, didn’t we?” Joyce remembered. “Let me get comfy and a cupcake,” she said, getting up. “The holidays are just around the corner now.” It felt so nice to have her daughter home for the night. It really was a great Halloween.

October 31, 2020 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.