More Than You Think

Submitted into Contest #250 in response to: Write a story in which someone is afraid of being overheard.... view prompt

0 comments

American Speculative Suspense

This story contains sensitive content

More You Think

Gail D Prentice

NOTE: This story has been reconstructed from the past and placed in the near future. It denotes political unrest and a call to action.

The year had been plagued by one governmental mistake after another. It seemed that every politician was on putting the United States of America on self-destruct. They passed law after law that violated the Constitution and completely disregarded the By-Laws of the land. Tension was rising throughout every state as the cost of living skyrocketed, and wages failed to even attempt to offset the inflation. People were overwhelming the food pantries and the formerly generous donors stopped contributing to the rising demands of all assistance programs.

The quiet gossip on the streets were of complete contempt of every government program and every politician as they boasted better times ahead as things grew more and more dismal. The rich were getting richer and fewer, the politicians grew more dependent on their inflated pay raises that they voted themselves regularly.

More and more people flooded the country, demanding financial aid, healthcare, housing, and every other benefit they could think of, causing extreme financial hardship on cities that were not equipped to handle the massive influx.

The growing number of dissatisfied citizens were beginning to band together to discuss remedies for the patriotic few that were left. Their means of communication was seriously restricted because of the laws passed in 2027, all cell phones, land lines, and public areas were strictly monitored and recorded. A large number of private venues were also video surveilled and recorded. A private conversation was very rare to be kept secret. It seemed that there were ears and eyes everywhere.

“Sammy,” whispered Tony very softly as they stood in line at the grocery store. “We need to get with the group.”

Tony nodded his acceptance, paid for his meager items and strolled out of the store as if he had heard nothing. Tony paid for his few grocery items and left just as unassuming. Outside, Sammy looked at the clothing store across the street and walked that way. Tony followed a few feet behind.

“Chet’s place,” Sammy spoke softly as they crossed the middle of the busy street. When they reached the curb, Tony was a step or two behind him. Sammy looked at his watch and said, “I need to be at the center at 2:30 this afternoon.”

Walking by each other, they departed in different directions, Tony glanced at his watch and saw that he had thirty minutes to get to Chet’s. He kept his vigil to assure that he was not being followed or that anybody overheard the slightest part of the conversation.

At 2:30 on the dot, Sammy walked into Chet’s house. “We cannot assume that this is a safe place to talk. The government is now paying people to turn in anybody they think might be a threat to governmental status quo. We are not safe anywhere.

“I will have a code made out by the end of the day. Memorize it and destroy it. That will be the only way that we communicate while in public. Ron’s place on Thursday. Pick a time that is convenient for you. He will have the code sheet ready for you when you knock on the door.”

Thursday came and went without a hitch. Nobody reported any suspicious onlookers. By Monday, the code was memorized and destroyed several times to prevent loss of information. First they tore it to shreds, second, they burned it to a complete ash, and then flushed it down the toilet, as they did with all documents. There was no way possible to recover any information from the residue.

“A13,” Ron spoke softly to Tony at the gas station.

“Four twenty-five Cap.” Tony answered.

While they were finishing their allotted gas allocation, a City Security Officer approached them. “Interesting conversation fellows. Want to fill me in?”

“If you think that was a conversation,” Ron spoke first, “your dumber than you look, or, he paused, "it was more than you think.”

“Fellows, I know that you were speaking some kind of code,” the officer rudely addressed Ron. “It was recorded, and I have the authority to detain you until we find out.”

“You could do that yes, but observe, I am at pump 13. A real coincidence isn’t it genius?” Ron sassed back.

“It is almost 4:25 isn’t it?” Tony chimed in. I also pumped four dollars and twenty-five cents worth of gas. You must be a real super trooper.”

“So, what’s the Cap all about?” quizzed the officer.

Tony pointed to the gas cap and childishly said, “Cap. Does that satisfy you Einstein?”

Stupidly the officer walked away. The two nodded at each other and drove away, knowing that they were now under the scrutiny of the law enforcement.

Over the next two weeks, it became more and more difficult to pass even coded messages along, but the messages were getting through channels to the right people.

By the end of the next month, nearly half of the group had been reported and identified. Tracking devises were required on all motor vehicles, and all electronic devises were also monitored by keystroke. Political unrest and distrust were at an all-time high. Relocating citizens became the norm.

On Friday, April 19, 2030, many angry citizens began to rally just outside Lexington, Massachusetts as the official military peacekeepers gathered also. With tempers flaring, shouts of discontent were being hurled. The mob, as the news reporters called them, no longer cared if they were overheard or not. They were ready to let the politicians know their true feelings.

The peacekeepers stood their ground in a tight formation, rifles raised and at the ready. They were ready to quell any uprising and had the absolute authority from the reigning government to do whatever was needed or required to stop this unruly mob.

One young peacekeeper noticed a first cousin on the front lines of the mob. He shouted at the top of his lungs, “Tony, I knew that you were a no-good. This now proves it.” He gently squeezed the trigger, and the first shot rang out.

Nobody saw Tony fall to the ground, but they all raised their own firearms and returned fire.

In all of the sudden excitement, the peacekeepers failed to remember that they had their weapons loaded with rubber bullets. They returned fire, but to no avail. By the time they realized their mistake, they had become so disoriented and their numbers swindled so quickly, they retreated in defeat within minutes of the start of the skirmish.

News travelled at the speed of light across America and patriots all over the nation answered the call to freedom.

Politicians disappeared from fear. The few that tried to speak out against the new Revolutionary War, didn’t speak long. Those who spoke out for it were not believed. They had lied to the American people for so long and so often, they were considered and were untrustworthy.

From within the ranks of the citizens rose a few prominent leaders, directing the fight from the very front themselves. Sorely bruised from the first shot with a rubber bullet, stood tall and firm as he advanced to Washington DC six months later to accept the resignation of the President and Vice President of the United States along with many of the House of Representatives and Senate.

With the tyrannical government toppled, the citizens realized they would have one more chance to make the United States of America a safe haven for its citizens. The question remains, will they be able to keep it?

May 10, 2024 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.