0 comments

Fiction Sad Speculative

Tiny droplets pristine like the dew drops gently trickled down the window pane before uniting with the sill. The branches swayed to the tunes of the breeze sprinkling water over the passers by. The birds nestled in their cozy and humble abode. They clung to their nestlings while peering at the clouds. A few hours later, the clouds parted giving way to the sun. The taintless, first ray of the sun brought with it a glint of hope. A hope that everything would soon fall in place. A hope that the trough would be followed by an ebb. In the corner of the room stood James staring at the antique clock that hung on the wall. He felt like the clock was ticking at a snail's pace. He leaned against the glass door, his body weight leaving an imprint on it. He pressed his face against the door and tried to make a note of the happenings inside the room. A group of people donning white coats hovered around her. A nurse ran across the room and returned holding a big sized tray in her hands. The white sheet that lined the bed fluttered in air. She lay on the bed oblivious to the pandemonium around her. 

The doctor reached for a scalpel and James's legs trembled. He felt weak in his knees and couldn't stand any longer. His eyes drifted away from the room and he made his way to the lounge. The enticing aroma of the coffee that cast its spell on him all the time failed at soothing his soul. He was on edge. The atmosphere felt toxic as though the world was in the brink of a catastrophe. He sunk on the couch and let his head rest between his knees. Images from the past flooded his mind. The two pink lines, her smiling and pleasant face flashed before him. A faint smile escaped his lips as he recollected the events from two years back. He twisted the door knob and entered the house. Mellifluous music played in the background and emanated positive and happy vibes. With short and quick steps he walked to the room. He saw that she hugged the pillow tightly and swayed in synchronization with the music. He enjoyed watching her dance. He felt joyous. She was back at being her happy self after a hiatus. She suddenly turned like she felt his presence around her. "You seem happy today Maya," he said and walked towards her. She handed him a strip and whispered, "We are pregnant." Tears rolled in the confines of his eyes and he let the words sink in. A few seconds later, he hugged her tightly and lifted her in his arms and twirled her in air. Happy smiles and laughter reverberated in the room as they celebrated the occasion with pop corn and a movie night.

A part of him silently prayed and wished that no one jinxed their happiness. Their past spoke volumes about the loss they had endured together. Maya had already gone through abortion twice and he hoped that history didn't repeat itself. Maya curled in his arms and slept like a baby while he spent the night staring at the ceiling and hoping against hope that better times would prevail. Maya followed the diet to the T. She enrolled in a yoga class and they took every possible measure to keep the baby safe. She hardly stepped out of the house. Caution was writ over every step and action. But no mortal can fight destiny. Even the strongest and smartest had to bow their heads before fate and accept defeat. James and Maya were no different. One evening, James entered the house and there was no sigh of Maya. He searched every nook and cranny with bated breath and the earth slipped from beneath him when he found her lay unconscious in the kitchen. She was rushed to the hospital. They heard those words every parent dreaded to hear. "You lost your baby," the words of the doctor lingered around them for quite some time. He wondered if he and Maya were cursed. Were they being punished for their sins?

A series of incessant cries broke his reverie. Holding onto a flicker of faith he turned and saw that a toddler was running across the lounge squealing in delight. A woman ran behind the child holding a new born in her arms. A smile danced on his lips and the sight of the baby filled his heart with warmth. Was it a good omen? Was he going to hear the pitter patter of little feet in his house? Were they going to witness bright and sunny days after braving a series of storms? Questions and doubts ran hither tither in his mind and his heart raced with anticipation. Blood thrummed in his veins and he could feel his heart thumping against the chest. He stood up, said a silent prayer and walked towards the glass door. The drapes prevented him from getting a glimpse of the events that occurred in the room. Suddenly, he heard a cry. The cry was followed by another bout of cry. His hands trembled and sweat beads danced on his brows. A few seconds later, a nurse walked out of the room and said, "Congratulations. It's a girl." His heart danced on hearing those words. He almost did an imaginary salsa and tango but the pensive look on the nurse's face, snatched away his moment of ecstasy. He gripped the wall and looked at the nurse intently. He was ready to hear the part that followed the but. Seconds passed like hours. "But we couldn't save your wife," the words hit him like a bolt of lightning. The earth shook beneath him and he collapsed to the floor. 

He knew that life was all about swings and roundabouts but he never imagined that he would have to hear a good news and bad news in quick succession. He wasn't given enough time to process and savor the good or in fact the best news of his life and the worst news hit him like a typhoon. Myriad eclectic emotions churned in his heart. Peaks followed the valleys. Nights were followed by days. Happiness made its way after a bout of sorrow. But light seemed to vanish from his life. Everything around him was reduced to nothingness. She left him. They had built a small world of their own and her absence snatched away the essence of life from him. He sat cursing his very existence when the nurse handed him his baby. The baby's smile failed to relieve his pain but it prevented him slipping into the rabbit hole of and distress. He looked closer and noticed that the baby had features similar to Maya. He gently took her in his arms and held her close to his chest. Tears coursed down his cheeks and landed on the baby's forehead. They glistened like pearls under the warm light. Life without Maya would never be the same. But the baby gave him renewed hope. He had to live for her sake. He would be there for her in every walk of life just like he promised Maya. He would be the post she could hold on to during the tough times. He would be her best friend and confidant. Only then he would be able to look into the eyes of Maya when he reached the other side of the world. With that thought, he kissed the baby gently and rushed to hug Maya one last time.

July 21, 2022 17:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.