The Unforgettable Truth

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

0 comments

General

In an orphanage located in Yonkers, there lived a poor, little witch named Choice Nickel. It wasn't ideal. Not a ripped red house, but one filled with weapons and an evil smell. It was a stripy house with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a witch-house. Though they were supposed to be a family, all the children had was fear. All of the kids' powers were hidden from them, so they could live a “normal life.” 

The foster parents never told the kids about their powers because they wanted to be powerful as they inherited Choice and Pepper’s inheritance. They were hell bent on greed. They adopted them when they were babies because they happened to turn up at the same hospital as them. Their hospital bill was higher than expected so they decided to exploit their kids for money. Even though they had their own, they wanted more. 

They were so bad that they generated copies of the kids so they could earn more. They used genetically modified genes to develop better kids to earn money. That was morally wrong but they just didn’t care. They never asked for help. They just used the other kids as decoys.

“It’ll be okay little ones. I found a place where we could learn and have a happy life,” she told the new babies and toddler witches and warlocks. “It’s called the Nickel’s Boarding House for the Supernatural.” It seemed like a nice idea because she saw her family’s name in the title. The flyer was stuffed in a box hidden in the floorboards. It was her secret space.

“Would we be safe there?,” Pepper said as her face lit up. She was a gracious, admirable, tea drinker with long hair and solid eyebrows. She was also the half sister of Choice. Same mother, different father. That’s why they were so close. "I love you and I want safety for us." 

Choice looked back, sleepy and still fingering the flyer. "Pepper, I will keep you safe," she replied. “I will keep everyone safe”. Choice has always been optimistic.

Choice Nickel had always loved fictional magical places. Even though she was magical. To have everything she wanted with free land. It was a place where she felt she would be delighted.  Her friends saw her as horrible and hopeful. Once, she had even helped a watery Baby cross the road. That's the sort of woman she was. Choice walked over to the window and reflected on her industrial surroundings. The rain hammered like chatting rabbits. As she walked away from the window, out the corner of her eye she saw a stranger with small simmers coming out of his hands.

“Did you see that!,” she asked the children. When everyone went back to the window, the man was gone. But, there was a paper stuck to the outside of their window. It was a flyer, which the school Choice talked about shined in the headlines. She was livid.

“See this is faith we have to go now!,” Pepper exclaimed! So, Choice easily came up with a plan. And that’s what they did. All the kids packed all their clothes in one suitcase and laid it outside the house. 

The next day the kids left the house as normal as possible. At school, they go through what they normally would. With the bullying, sore feet, slumped backs and empty stomachs. They were all excited to finally not have to deal with that anymore. They wanted their new lives. So, they went about the day without protest. They just had to believe that it would get better. They only had each other. If that isn’t the true definition of true family, then they couldn’t rely on a dictionary. So, after school the children didn’t go home. They ventured to a place called Harlem Horrors. They walked through water, grass and streets. That was apparently the entrance to the pathway for the school.

“This pathway will take about 3 days to get through. So we’ll have to take breaks,” she said to the crowd of children following behind her. She was determined as everyone who ventured with her.

She snapped her fingers to signal the kids to hurry, when sparks flew out her hand. She was frightened by the suddenness. She proceeds to sway her hands around. As she did that, light came out of her fingertips. She knew exactly what happened.

“We are witches,” they exclaimed. 

“Wow,” the children exclaimed as the same happened to them. Then they all figured it out. They were magical. That’s why they were informed by this new school. That’s why Choice was connected to the school. One day after walking, they meet a werewolf named Chosen Trinket. They completed the journey together. He was very friendly to all the kids, as if he knew them already. They were so happy!

“Your mother sent me, Choice,“ he explains. He goes through the whole story about the school they headed to. They went over some shocking details. Like how their mom was the headmaster and how they had a big inheritance. Choice and Pepper had a lot to learn.

Then she saw something in the distance, or rather someone. Choice gulped. She was not prepared for anyone. As Choice and the children stepped outside, the person and Choice looked at each other with confident feelings. The mysterious woman looked just like her. “Mom,” Choice yelled as she ran across the field to jump in her arms with Pepper following close by.

“My babies,” she said happily as she picked up Pepper and Choice. She sent a thankful look to Chosen because he brought their babies to safety. “Welcome to your new home guys,” she said walking hand and hand with her daughters to the building.

 A quest undertaken in the company of people, witches and splendid werewolves. In the search for the supernatural school, Choice Nickel surprises even herself with her wittiness and skill. As years go by, Choice rescues a stone, an heirloom belonging to her. Choice accepts her one fate as a very wealthy witch, with the biggest family. And this was the biggest success of all.

June 27, 2020 02:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.