0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship American

As a solo cruise tourist, please select if you are open to having a roommate. “I’m kinda doing this to get away from people,” I mutter to myself. “My family has been so stressful lately. I just want to get away. I hit submit.

We apologize, but there is no room for you left. You may either reschedule or select the roommate option. “Ah, come on!” I slam the desk. I flop my head in my hands and tightly squeeze my hair between my fingers. “Fine.” I hit the check the option and hit submit before I overthink the decision.

Two days. Two days till I can get out of this house. Two days till I can leave this chaos of my family.

I look down at my watch. I stare at it until it switches to 20:00. I squish my feet into my shoes and throw on my small, stuffed, heavy backpack. In four hours, I’ll be 18. I’ll be free. I’m leaving today, now. 

I sneak down the stairs and hop over the one squeaky stair. I lean over the railing to see my father still awake, reading a book. I tiptoe towards the back door. I slowly slide it open. As I do, I feel my cat jump up onto my shoulder. I step outside and shut the door.

“Callie!” I whisper shout. “What are you doing?” She curls up and wraps her tail around my neck. “Do you plan on coming with me?” I laugh as if it’s a joke. But when I try to get her off my shoulder she won’t budge. “Ugh, fine.”

I quickly walk over to the side of my house and hop on my brother’s bike. I take off my jacket and make a little basket for Callie in the box attached to the front of the bike. I start pedaling as quick as I can. I speed down the road for almost an hour. After what feels like forever and at the same time just a few seconds, I arrive at the airport.

“Callie, we’re going to have to hide you.” I put back on my jacket and stick Callie inside of it. She pokes her head out the top to look at me. “No, stay down.” I push her head back down. “You can come out once we get on the plane.”

We go through and make it through security. I get a muffin and eat it in less than a minute. I start to get the hiccups. Every time I sneeze, cough, hiccup, or make any weird noise Callie squeaks as if to say bless you. I hiccup, she squeaks. “Callie, shhh,” I whisper down into my jacket. I get a couple weird looks. 

“Boarding, C section of Flight 727. Repeat: Boarding, C section of Flight 727.” The automated voice says.

“Crap, that’s me!” I utter. I get up and quickly get in line. We head in and get on the flight. It’s an exciting flight, the start of a new life. 

We land in California. It was a long flight from Delaware, but I got a good nap. I get off, get my stuff, and head to the shore. I let Callie out of my jacket and she curls up on my shoulder again.

“Hello, sir.” I walk up to an outdoor shopkeeper. “Do you sell cat food? Or fish?”

“You came to the right place!” He has a hearty laugh I would imagine Santa having. “Here, canned Tuna for your little one. She’s beautiful.” He hands me a can.

I peel it open and hold it up for Callie. “Thank you, sir, I really appreciate it.” I check my watch. Shoot, five minutes and I gotta be on the boat! “Have a good day sir, thank you again!” I shout as I run off. I hold Callie in my arms so she won’t fall and I sprint towards the pier.

I show the man my ticket, he scans it, then I hurry onto the boat. About ten seconds after I get on, I feel the movement. The wind slightly breezing past me and I soak in all the salty air. Callie climbs back on my shoulder and licks the small tear that’s falling from my eye.

“We’re free, girl.” I give her a kiss on the cheek. “We’re going to have fun here, then come back to California and get a new home. Just you and me. I’ll take good care of you, I promise.” She brushes up against me. “And I’ll get a job where I can work from home so I can take care of you. What do you think, should I be a translator? I know 3 languages…”

She gives me a soft meow and jumps down and runs around. She must have a lot of energy after sleeping for so long. I should go put my stuff away

I get out a map and follow it while attempting to find room 82. “85… 84… 83… 82! Here it is!” I should but as I look up I notice I can’t see anything. Then BAM! I bump into someone else. I stumble backward. “Ach, I’m so sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

“No, that’s alright sweetie.” She’s a bit of an older black lady. She seems very nice. “Well, 82 is my room. Mind if I go in, dear?”

“O-Oh!” My social awkwardness is kicking back in. “I-It’s my room too, actually.” I give out a nervous laugh and then realize I sound like an idiot and close my mouth.

“Wonderful!” She smiles honestly. “Well, let’s go in!” She opens the door for me and I step in awkwardly. Callie comes running in behind almost tripping the nice lady.

“Oh shoot!” I pick Callie up. “If you’re allergic she can stay out of the room. She’s sort of the only family I have left, and so I have her. I wasn’t actually supposed to bring her on the plane but she wanted to come so I just thought it would be fine and so she came along.” I’m rambling, aren’t I? I should stop talking.

“Darling, calm down.” She places a hand on my shoulder. “My cat is here, too. I just thought it better if he didn’t sleep with me since he might bother you, but I guess not!” She lets out a calm whistle and a striking black cat comes pronouncing in. “My name is Maddie, and this is Midnight.”

Callie jumps out of my arms to greet the new cat. “I’m Lina, and my calico here is Callie.” I sit down on one of the beds and plop my stuff down.

“So?” Maddie asks as the cats go running around together. “What are you doing here? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Oh.” I guess I’m gonna be spending a month wither her, so why not become friends? Or at least acquaintances. “Well, I just turned 18. And I needed to get away from my family, so here I am.”

“Are they really so bad?” She asks with sorrow in her eyes.

“Yes.” I sigh. “They… I don’t want to talk about it. Sorry, Miss Maddie.”

“It’s alright dearie, I understand. And please, call me Maddie.”

“Oh, okay Miss Ma-, uh, I mean, Maddie.” I nervously scratch the back of my neck. I flop down on the bed. “I hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to take a nap. Unlike Callie, I’m exhausted.”

“Of course. Sleep well, sweetie.” She flips off the light and walks out. I close my eyes and I feel Callie curl up near my face.

“Callie, I’m alright.” I chuckle. “Go play with your new friend.” But as I say that I feel Midnight curl up against me and with Callie. “Aww, thanks Midnight. You two are so sweet.” I wrap my arms around them and pull them a bit closer. Just moments later, I’m asleep.

“Would you like some dinner, Lina?” I hear a voice and the door creak open.

“Hm?” I ask while rubbing my eyes.

“I brought you some mac ‘n’ cheese if you would like some. I thought you might be hungry.” I recognize it as Miss Maddie’s voice. “And I have food for the cats.”

“You didn’t have to do that, ma’am.” I sit up slowly. “I can buy my own food.”

She lets out a sweet laugh. “It’s free with the trip, silly.” She hands me a bowl and I take it politely. 

“Why are you here, Miss Maddie?” I ask.

“I told you, call me Maddie.” She laughs again. I love her laugh. It calms me. It feels like I can say whatever and she won’t get upset. I’m not used to this. “My husband died 14 years ago. All I had left of him was our son. Then my son got cancer. He lasted a long time, but two months ago, I lost him.”

“Oh.” I look down at my food. The cats move over to lay near Miss Maddie. “I’m not sure what to say. I’m so sorry.”

“I have learned that death is not the opposite of life.” She takes another bite. “But death is a part of life. Still, I won’t lie. I miss him so much.”

I take another bite. Mmm, this is good, I haven’t eaten something this good in what feels like forever.

“Would you like to take a stroll with me?” Maddie asks.

I look up at her. “I would love to.”

Callie and Midnight run on ahead of us. We watch as the sun sets beneath the horizon across the sea. We can no longer see the land. “It’s beautiful.”

“It really is.” I sigh.

Days pass and pass. Miss Maddie and I grow closer and closer. It feels as if she’s the family I’ve never had. And we’re both convinced that Callie and Midnight are in love. They never leave each other’s side, and they’re always playing together. 

We have about a week left on the cruise. Maddie and I haven’t talked about what will happen when it ends. We’re both alone, and we enjoy each other’s company, but we just haven’t talked it out.

Then, one day without warning, an announcement comes on over the speaker. “Attention all guests and passengers. The world is currently in a pandemic.” I hear gasps from all around. “You may or may not have heard of a new disease called COVID-19. It has spread enough that the world is in lockdown. Due to regulations and laws, we will be stuck in quarantine on this boat until we can no longer support your needs. You will be here for at least another month. We apologize for this inconvenience, and if you have any questions please contact the captain. Thank you, and have a good day.”

“Maddie?” I croak out. I look up at her with tears in my eyes. I don’t know why I’m upset. This is just so crazy and wild and hasn’t happened before. I’m not sure what to think or feel. But I know I don’t like the feeling of fear. “What’s happening.”

She pulls me in a hug. “I won’t lie to you, ever. You know that. So I’ll be honest: I don’t know what’s happening. But we’re here together and that’s what matters, right?”

After about a week, we’ve gotten used to the idea that we’ll be here longer than planned. For us, it doesn’t matter, but some other passengers have gotten really upset over what is happening.

There have been a few strict rules about food and rationing, but nothing too crazy. We’ve heard that on the mainland cases are spreading like crazy. People have to wear masks to protect themselves, but even still, people are dying. People who are older are more at risk so I want to keep Miss Maddie safe. She’s fit, but she doesn’t have the best immune system. She’s told me about this when we vent about our feelings on the world and its current situation. 

A few more weeks pass and we’re heading back to shore. “Miss Maddie, let me help you.” I take her hand. “I want you to stay safe. I can go to the store and get you food. I can get a job as a translator so I can stay home with you while earning money for us and I don’t want to leave Callie either. Besides, we can’t separate Callie and Midnight so even if you wanted to get rid of me you can’t.”

“Calm down, dear.” She smiles gently at me and squeezes my hand gently. “I agree with you. You’re overthinking. You’re like the daughter I never had.”

My heart feels with what feels like warm colors. Is that what a family is supposed to feel like? Happy? Helpful? Kind? Caring? I’ve never had a family like this. 

“Thank you!” I pull her into a hug and squeeze her tight.

“Careful, these old bones are getting more fragile by each of your hugs!” She chuckles.

“Oh, right!” I let go of her. “Just excited, I guess.” I giggle with excitement.

We get back to the shore in two days. We get to head back to her home and she gets me set up in her son’s old room. I have never believed in fate or destiny. I thought that if destiny was real, why would someone like me deserve a terrible fate? So I took my life into my own hands. But if destiny is real, it was my destiny to meet Miss Maddie. It was fate for us to meet and for us to become friends. For us to become family. 

February 05, 2021 17:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.