0 comments

American Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction

Sweaty Laughs

The steam rose off the hot pavement as I drove down the secluded section of route 1. The tune of “Nevermind”, by Nirvana played on the radio, as I gazed at the landscape ahead of me. It was still morning, only a little past nine, but the humid Florida heat was already bombarding the earth with its inferno-like intensity. I was not in a particular hurry as I had no real place to be, I just didn’t want to sit in my apartment alone on a Sunday morning, so I decided to take a little drive out to the beach.

The St. Augustine beach still allowed drive-in access to the shoreline, allowing one to enjoy the sight of the ocean from the comfort of one’s car.  I would pick up some breakfast to have while watching the waves, a nice sausage, egg, and cheese croissant from marbles diner was just what I needed. The thought conjuring phantom tastes of sausage and melted cheese to my tongue causing my stomach to rumble. 

Looking at the sights around me, the vegetation a tropical array of palm tree’s spotted with sandy sections. I could feel my mood heighten, there was no reason for me to be in a funk on such a beautiful morning. I turned my car, a modest 2007 Volkswagon Jetta into the Marbles parking lot. Busy as always for a Sunday morning I was happy to see an open parking space not too far from the restaurant.

Pulling into the spot I looked at myself in the review mirror to access my appearance. My blond hair was a bit unkept, the dark circles around my eyes didn’t aid any in help. My face had a dark shadowlike look to it. The ever-present Florida tan I had helped things oh well I was no Brad Pitt but hell after a night of that much drinking anyone looked a little disheveled. 

“I have to stop doing that”, I thought as I got out of the car. Being a semi-retired programmer freed up my days from work, but lately, that lack of something to do had been replaced with a few too many cocktails. I had a good life albeit divorced, I was still a success with my programing of an app that could help one maintain a better life by reminding people to stop and meditate during their day. It even had little prompts to select different meditations.

It was Ironic, I myself never meditated but was making a living off of reminding other people too. I pondered this chuckling to myself as I crossed the parking lot and approached Marbles Diner. The diner was located in downtown St. Augustine and looked out of place. Whereas the downtown St. Augustine area was all cobblestone and old-world looking, Marbles Dinner was a combination of neon lights and shiny chrome metal.

  I pushed the door open and am instantly caressed by the cool of the air conditioning a welcome change to the heat outside. A chubby, brunette waitress, her nametag says Kelly greets me as I enter. “Booth or table sweety?”, she says with a lazy southern drawl.  

“Actually I am ordering to go, sausage, egg, and cheese please,” I say. She looks at me and smiles, “salt, pepper, ketchup?”, she asks with a hint of seductiveness to it. “Yes please,” I say, trying to add a little flirtatiousness. She writes down my order on a pad, old school I think the old ticket method in the kitchen. With a wink she turns and is gone, leaving me alone standing in the entryway. 

 The inside of the diner is as gaudy as the outside. There is a metallic feel with all the walls being stainless steel-like material. Neon signs advertising four egg omelets and club sandwiches adorn the walls. In the midst of all the neon and metal, I note a board with advertisements on it. I walk over to it and look at the various notes tacked to it. Landscape services, a room for rent, babysitter very cheap, Carnival.. Carnival, I inspect further.

“Festivities and entertainment for the whole family, fireworks at nine on Sunday.” I loved fireworks, this was great I would go to the shore, relax a little and then head over to the carnival, a perfect Sunday. I took advantage of an empty stool at the bar and patiently waited for my breakfast sandwich.

As  I drifted off into the smells and din of my surroundings, it wasn’t long before my waitress returned with my order. “Here you go, hun,” she said with that ever-present hint of sexuality she emitted, handing me the paper bag containing my breakfast. “Thank you,” I said as I reached in my pocket, pulled out a ten-dollar bill, and handed it to the waitress. 

“Looks like there is a carnival in town,” I say to Kelly. “Yes,” she says, “I would love to go but I have to work till seven.” The register rings and I look at her, “Well, fireworks are at 9. Maybe we could meet up and take in the lights?’ She looks at me and the intensity of her light blue eyes is almost overwhelming. “Meet you by the cotton candy machine she says,’ handing me back my change. Taking my money allowing my fingers to just lightly blush against her palm, smiling I say “It’s a date.”

As I emerge into the hot Florida heat I am encompassed with a new vigor for life. It was not two hours ago I was laying in my apartment, alone, feeling sorry for myself. Now I had a day at the beach ahead of me and a potential date with Kelly tonight. I get into my car and as I start the car I think to myself, “One never knows the next great thing around the corner.”

I take a bite of my sandwich and think about the carnival in town and how I would maybe meeting up with kelly later as I approach the traffic light. Sitting I hear the sounds of pipe music and look to my right to see a line of cars. Looking a little more I see the silhouette of a Ferris wheel, the carnival I think. The Light turns green and I turn right towards the sounds and lights, the beach can wait.

I approach the carnival and am overtaken with a feeling of freeness I have not felt in a long time. I notice however that the streets are lined with cars, frowning to myself I drive past the carnival on my quest for parking. It is not a block that I note a lot that is hosting parking for ten dollars., bullocks I say as I pass it, I will find parking.

More cars and two blocks later I see another parking lot offering parking for seven dollars. Frustrated I pull into the lot and stop at the approach of a heavyset lot attendant with a green shirt on that is so small an inch of his lower belly protrudes from the bottom of it. I roll down my window and look at him, “military discount,” I say to the attendant. “You was in the military?”, he says to me with a slight lisp.  I point to the Marines sticker on my windshield and with a wink say, “Semper-fi”.

With a droll look, the attendant says “ look buddy, carnival in town, you lucky to get a spot for seven bucks.  Knowing he was probably rite I hesitantly give him the seven dollars and drive into the lot. Parking in the first spot I see, I look in the rearview mirror and take in my perspective, This will be my night.

As I walk the few blocks to the carnival the smells become stronger, popcorn, barbeque, cotton candy I can still taste the cheese from my breakfast sandwich but my stomach grumbles a little at the barrage of odors. I approach the entrance and see a sign that reads “tickets twenty dollars.” Twenty dollars my God I could have a steak diner for that. I get in the back of a line of about three groups of people and wait my turn. It’s not long before it is my turn to pay and I am face to face with a pale man with black hair. “Twenty dollars,” he says with the enthusiasm of a slug. I hand him a crumpled twenty-dollar bill and enter the big show.

As I enter the smells and sounds become more intense, I look at the lines of vendors and think what will I take in first. I look to my right and I see a row of food vendors. Sausage, Gyros, Cotton Candy. To my left in the center is a row of game vendors. Toss a ring, shoot water at a balloon, toss a little ball into the fishes bowl, and win the fish. I am overtaken by the folkness of it all. 

I wander into the various stalls of vendors, following my ears to the music that is playing in the distance. I am amazed at all the people that are attending this carnival and struggle through the masses to the melody of the music. It is an island-type drum beat with guitar, ahead I see the stage and a group of people under a giant tent. 

Looking into the mass of people all my sensations are overwhelmed with stimuli. I smell various foodstuffs,  my eyes are filled with the vibrance of the games and rides, my head swirls with the vibrations of the drummer on the stage. Rhythmic beats sending me into a calm state of happiness, and later, Kelly. 

Pushing myself through the masses I get to a makeshift bar near the stage and looking to my side I see the bartender, a young blond with curly hair and dimples.  After what seems like an eon she comes my way and with the spirit of a young horse asks me” what would you  like?” I order a bottle of domestic, whatever that may be. She reaches under the bar and produces a bottle of Budweiser, “Ten dollars please,” she says with a sly smile.

“Ten dollars for a Budweiser?” I say with just a little too much aggression. I smile and laugh a little to try to play it off but I am becoming ever increasingly disappointed with my decision to venture out today. I am down nearly fifty dollars and it is not even eleven A.M. yet. Locating a table to my right I take a seat. 

The drummer beats along to Bob Marley’s “No woman No cry”, as I take a long pull off my beer. Looking at the people gather and dance I think to myself how beautiful it all is. The freedom of the carnival, at nine there would be fireworks, and later Kelly. Yes, life was what you made it, and if one got off the couch once in a while, life had a funny way of sneaking up on you.

END

May 13, 2021 03:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.