6 comments

Drama High School Horror

I must confess we may have been a little drunk but we were having fun playing truth or dare. It wasn't long before I knew it was my turn. Kelly AKA my BFF had just finished a dare and by the rules, the truth or dare gods had created she now got to 'truth or dare someone. I turned and locked eyes with her, at first I was excited to get a turn but when I saw the evil look in her eyes I knew it was over.

"truth or dare angel"

I knew I had the option to pick truth and dodge most of the bad stuff Kelly could come up with, but I didn't want to kill the mood and be the first one to pick truth in the TRUTH or dare game that had turned into more of a dare or dare version. So I took a deep breath, looked her in the eye, and said "dare". I regretted it as soon as I saw her look over at Ben. She looked back at me and I slowly shook my head no.

"I dare you," she said then smirked. I knew there was no stopping it now, "to kiss" I held my breath "BEN!" she exclaimed. I silently cursed Kelly for choosing Ben of all people, I mean he was cute and all but wasn’t exactly my type, I sighed and stood up crossing the circle towards him. I noticed an odd glint on his finger but waved away the thought and plopped down in his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck. He smirked and bit his lip. I suddenly realized that I had never actually seen him smile, at least not a full grin, teeth and all. It only took a second for that thought to slip away because everyone had gone quiet. I pulled him closer and pushed my lips onto his. This wasn't my first kiss obviously but it was different from any other kiss I have had. It felt magical and I tasted a faint hint of iron. Originally I had planned a short kiss just enough to satisfy everyone else in the circle but it wasn't long before I ran out of breath which, I realized, was the only reason I pulled away and went back to my place. The rest of the night was a blur all I could think about was Ben and that kiss.

The next morning I noticed that at least half the people in our circle were absent. I guess some of us had more to drink than others. Without even knowing it, my eyes found Bens and I smiled, he smiled back, but it was still his little smirk. This time I noticed a little dimple on his left cheek and the striking beauty of his deep brown eyes. Kelly must have noticed because she gave me a gentle push and whispered "go" in my ear. I walked toward him and as I got closer I saw that he was way taller than me, something you can't see sitting in the dark. I also saw a silver ring on his finger. which was what must have caused the glint I saw last night.

"hey angelica" he calls when he sees me walking over "quite a night wouldn't you agree"

I was stunned that he brought that up so willingly but nodded because it had been quite a night. 

"You look even prettier in the light when I can actually see your face," he says and I feel the heat rising in my cheeks. No one has ever made me feel this way. Usually, I'm the 'heart breaker' in relationships. That's how my last one ended, Darrick had been way too jealous so honestly, he had it coming.

"Are you gonna say something or just stand there and blush",

I blushed harder,

"you know," he said "I kinda like this rendering angel speechless thing"

hearing Kelly's nickname for me broke the spell. Almost. I grabbed the chair from the desk behind me and climbed on top of it, even with the chair I'm barely taller than him. by now everyone in the classroom is staring at us, I grab his head and kiss him again, right there in front of everyone. The kiss feels no different than it did last night. Ooos erupted from the class as I pulled away, climbed down from the chair, and walked back over to Kelly. I glanced back over my shoulder on our way to our seats and saw him talking to his friend no doubt about the kisses.

It took about five minutes for a video someone took of us to circle around the school. Everyone was talking about how we would either be a perfect couple or I would break his heart, though I knew if anyone's heart was going to be broken it was gonna be mine. I was crushing hard on Ben Rivera.

After school, me and Kelly were walking out to her car when I heard footsteps running up behind us. I spun around only for my cheeks to turn pink upon seeing Ben.

"hey," he said a little out of breath

"hey'

"before you go can I maybe get your number"

"yeah for sure," I say but before he can pull out his phone Kelly jumps in

"you better not ghost my bestie, or I'll beat yo ass"

"chill K," I say before she can do anything stupid "if any asses need a beating I can handle it myself"

Kelly huffs and fixes Ben with a death stare the entire time I'm putting my contact info in his phone. I hand him his phone and me and Kelly turn and walk to her car. we get in but before we even pull out my phone dings. I look down and see a message

hey angel wanna do something after school tomorrow 🙂 it reads

I start to type a reply but stop and look at Kelly

"K?" I ask

"I got you hon," she says and snatched my phone

sure! how bout we go to that new smoothie place downtown. I hear it's dope

She clicks send without even showing me first and I barely have time to read what she wrote before Ben replies

sounds fun. I'll meet you by the water fountain after school tomorrow.

see you then 😚

I look over at Kelly and smile, she smiles back and we drive off.

I have a hard time focusing at school the next day, I just want it to be over so I can hang out with Ben. The day drags on until lunch when a poster on the wall catches my eye. At first, it just looks like a normal school flyer with no significance whatsoever but what catches my eye is that this one isn't painted with school colors instead it's a picture of the gym with neon lights and a DJ booth. I step closer to get a better look and realize it's for the school dance on Friday. I take a picture and turn around to go get in line for lunch when Kelly comes by and grabs my arm pulling me down the hall and into the bathroom. She pushes me into a stall and locks the door behind her. Then she turns to face me. I can see a hint of fear in her eyes.

"what the heck K," I ask I want lunch,

"shh" she hisses "I have to tell you something

"fine but make it quick"

"it's about Ben" she pauses "I was watching him in math today and he was answering one of Mr. Zettle's questions and" she takes a deep breath and looks me in the eye "I saw fangs angel"

"No way," I say, "that would make Ben a,” I paused, “a vampire. He can't be a vampire. I have seen him in the sunlight. isn't sunlight supposed to turn vampires to dust?"

"Yeah but maybe they found a way to fix that, the ring he always wears is a little sketchy or maybe they just use a lot of sunscreen"

I roll my eyes "what about the cheese and garlic pizza he had for lunch yesterday, you know the lunch ladies put way to much garlic on the pizza"

"true but did you actually see ben eat the pizza"

"no, but what about the fact that VAMPIRES AREN'T REAL!"

Kelly sighs and turns around to unlock the stall door "believe what you want angelica but I know what I saw" then she walks away. I sit there for a moment thinking until I finally convince myself that vampires surely can't be real.

Later I meet Ben at the water fountain and we walk out to his car together. When we get there we order our smoothies and find a table. We talk and he makes me laugh but I'm not focused on the conversation, I'm focused on his mouth. at least until he says one thing that gets my attention.

"angel there's something I want to ask you"

"what's that"

he reaches out and takes my hand "would you go to the dance with me"

I smile "yes of course"

"great but there was one other thing I must ask you"

we lock eyes and I feel the heat rising in my cheeks again

"after the dance" he says "if you don't absolutely despise me. would you maybe consider" he pauses "I don't know maybe being my girlfriend"

I laugh then say "why wait" then I lean over the table and kiss him. Again.

Ben picks me up from my house and we drive to school. We meet Kelly and her boyfriend at the doors and walk in together. Kelly finds an open table and we sit drinking punch. It's not long before I have to go to the bathroom and excuse myself. I use the restroom and am walking back to the gym when I hear footsteps behind me. I'm about to spin around when a large hand clamps over my mouth and a strong arm around my waist. I try to pull free but they pull me into a nearby classroom. The lights flicker on and I see Ben. gasping I try to run out the door but he appears in front of it. skidding to a halt and glance over my shoulder realizing that Ben just teleported. He smiles at me. a full grin exposing the fangs Kelly said she saw earlier. He takes a step toward me. grabbing my waist. I scream but it slowly fades away as he sinks his teeth into my neck.


August 20, 2021 19:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Writer Maniac
02:51 Aug 23, 2021

Hey! I got a notification that you followed me, so I thought I'd come over to check out your story. Coming to your story, I have quite a lot to say. Ben being a vampire, never would have seen that coming, and I don't mean that as a good thing. Revelations only work in surprising people if you slightly hint at it from the start. When you reveal something, the reader must then feel like it was obvious all along because of the clues the writer has already given. You should have shown some aspects of something a little strange about Ben. The g...

Reply

Claire Huettl
16:25 Aug 24, 2021

good to know i'll work on it thanks but just so you know i'm 13 with no experience

Reply

Writer Maniac
07:03 Aug 25, 2021

That doesn't mean that you can't improve, just because you are 13 doesn't mean you can't be a great writer, and writing on Reedsy is considered as experience too

Reply

Claire Huettl
22:48 Aug 29, 2021

🙄 there was i lot of things i wanted to say but i didn't want to be mean. and all your doing is making me feel bad so please leave

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:19 Aug 30, 2021

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. How am I making you feel bad? I was just saying that you shouldn't put yourself down, every writer has the potential to become better.

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
16:26 May 18, 2022

She wasn't being rude to you. Critiquing is a big thing on here. If you can't take criticism, then you can't write stories.... I'm not being mean. Your story is good for your age lol ...I'm younger than you. It doesn't matter how old you are. You can always get better at something. Thank you for the follow back! I'll keep reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.