0 comments

Fiction

After a month of moving and unpacking, I was finally able to relax in this quiet little neighborhood. I do not regret leaving my pack, from the people that have raised me but being future pack leader is not my cup of tea. The idea of it makes me feel...tense and I do not do well with tense. I do not like making decisions for others or hear complaints. I rather live a quiet, lone wolf life away from my father’s pack. My mother was disappointed but in an angry disappointed way. Alright! She did not like my idea and nearly tried to kick my ass into next year. For crying out loud, I am only 29!

Anyway! My name is Sasha Garcia, I am six feet tall, shoulder length shaggy white hair, soft brown skin, sky blue eyes and Hispanic. The pack I come from is called Los Lobos Avellana, strong in numbers but I do not want to think about that right now. I have a whole new life ahead of me to think about.

I look around the neighborhood and smiled, taking a seat to people watch as I took in the cool crisp air of fall. I watched kids play on the road: basket ball, skate boarding, chalk drawing and such which seems to be the norm here. I could already catch the scent of a grill being started: charcoal and fire starter fluid. I turned my attention back toward the kids, the parents and the rest. I do not usually people watch because I was already surrounded by people I knew and well...I always preferred to go to the mall and relax there, people watch, lunch or read. Having this much quiet would take some getting used to but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

I had already met some of the neighbors when I started living here for a week, many of them were nice while others...well, they were quite nosy, Very...nosy. I actually had to close my front door after the last nosy neighbor, she kept trying to look past me and into my home. I did meet a couple with two boys, one is Christopher and the other Jason. They even brought me a plate of chocolate chip cookies, which was nice though..those cookies did not last the night. My stomach started hurting but zero regrets, okay maybe a little but mmmm! Those cookies were delicioso! Maybe next time I should have a few instead of scarfing it down like an animal.

With a contented sigh, I got up and turned to make my way inside. “Christopher!” I heard the parents shout. I turn back around, taking only a split second to see what is going on. The road is currently vacant of kids for the oncoming vehicle that is coming down at nearly 60mph and no way of stopping. I spot little three year old Christopher running after the ball that rolled onto the road and I only have a few seconds to save that boy if I use every energy in my body.

Without a thought of hesitation, I bolted for the boy before he could become a pancake on that diver’s windshield. At this point, everything felt like it was moving in slow motion: Spring boarding myself in front of a speeding car, my arms wrapping around the boy and curling my body around his to soften the impact as we hit the unforgiving concrete. “Ooooowww….” The wind got knocked out of me, at least I know how Loki felt for that moment when he got slammed around by Thor.

“I am going to feel that for the next few minutes...” I muttered as I slowly started to sit up, Christopher crying and disoriented but he is safe. His mother knelt down beside me as I tried to regain my bearings while I held the boy in my arms but slowly, my grip loosened as his mother gently took him from me after she hugged me tight. Too tight! “Thank you so much! Thank you!”

“No problem...” I groaned as I was helped up to my feet by one of the neighbors. Demetri, I think. “That care did not even stop to check for injuries or anything. Why not?” I asked. He shrugged, “not sure but it is not the first time that has happened. I see that car all the time, we would even catch it on the news but for some reason the cops can’t seem to catch the driver.” He says as we watched the car make an immediate sharp turn around the corner.

I thought for a moment on this, “how often does this happen?”

“Not often, just enough to warrant those Children at Play signs but that doesn’t work anymore. I’m not sure how to keep the kids safe with that kind of lunatic behind the wheel.” He sighed as he rubbed his big hand down his face. He looked tired and concerned, as he should be.

“Did you ever think of having someone at each corner of the street with a whistle? They could blow a whistle to warn the parents that are outside to watch for kids before the traffic comes down the road.” I suggested.

He looked at me and a grin spread across his face. “That is great idea! Thanks, Ms. Garcia!”

“Friends just call me Sasha.” I smiled back, pat his shoulder and turned away to make my way back home to relax with a movie and dinner. I might have to go job hunting soon, just...not yet. I want to relax.

Before I could take a few more steps, I felt a little body collide against mine and arms wrapping around my waist. I looked down to see Jason with a tear streaked face, “you saved my little brother! Thank you!” The look on his face pulled at my heartstrings as I knelt down and hugged him tightly, “hey now, carinio. No need to cry. He’s safe now. You should be hugging him right now.” I say softly which registered in his head. He gave me a tight hug, I returned it and let him go so he could quickly make his way over to his family.

I stood up, a warmth spread in my heart as I watched them for a moment before turning away to head home for my much needed relax time. Though...that driver is going to be a problem for this quiet little neighborhood if it comes around again. Maybe some investigation should be in order but...not yet. Rest and relaxation time for me!

Fin

Los Lobos Avellana=The Hazel Wolves

Delicioso=Delicious

Carinio=Honey, dear, sweetie.

October 28, 2020 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.