2 comments

Science Fiction Friendship Adventure

Pegasus could be seen from any spot within the gigantic expanse of the stadium. Oris and his best friends would occasionally stand at the base of the stadium to observe the radiant glow and ring of dust floating around Pegasus. Something about this celestial body could steal your breath. It was a majestic spectacle for all to behold; it stood gallantly bright and fierce as its light penetrated every corner of the cosmos. All citizens of Centauri b revered Pegasus because it outshone every other star in its constellation.  

But things were different now. 

Over the last couple of days, Pegasus’ brightness slowly began to dim. This was alarming for all the citizens who adored the 800 million year old star.  It was their main source of energy. The gradual drop in luminosity meant that it was on the verge of decay . It was rare that a star of such grandeur would come to extinction. The last time a star of such magnitude decayed completely was over five hundred years prior. In Oris’ lifetime, he had only witnessed the death of the smaller stars- a frequent occurrence that provided the basis of the annual Light Catching games. 

Every 180 days, a star would die. The great astronomers of Centauri b had developed stamps on certain stars which predicted the exact time they would go extinct. And so far their system proved accurate. Whenever these stars were a week away from their extinction, the whole planet would prepare to watch the bedazzling astronomical phenomenon- a supernova.

These large celestial bodies would undergo changes in internal pressure resulting in a magnificent explosion sending neutron stars and other forms of celestial matter ricocheting into the cosmos. Men and women from all corners of the galaxy would come and watch the explosion- the dispersion of the star as it  rained atoms and neutrons embellishing the heavens with fantastical colours

But this microcosm of gas and dust wasn’t the only event preceding light catching games. It was the bright particles transcending space, flying at outstanding speeds in all directions. Bright particles that a group of elite athletes were trained and determined to conquer.   

Oris, Ash, and Axel were amongst the chosen elite . 

Axel and Ash were the closest thing that oris had to siblings.  The triplets, they called themselves. And the sibling-like rivalry between them was obvious. Ash wanted to be the best scientist of the three and Jack always had the competitive edge because he knew he was the best athlete.

But Oris had never accomplished anything in his life.  He wasn’t the great Ahlete that Axel was nor the scientist that Ash was. Amongst his friends, he was the underachiever. Throughout his teenage years he remained protective. Sheltered and safe from the clusters of gas, dust and celestial matter that made up the galaxy of Centauri-b. So it shocked everyone when he was selected to participate in the annual Light Catching Games.

“It’s probably some mistake in the draft system if Oris made it” said Axel. 

“Don’t listen to him” said Ash

Oris didn't know what to believe. He didn't know what to think. There was One thing he was certain of. He was more terrified than he had ever been in his life. He had always been afraid and too cautious. Too self-conscious, extremely reserved and too afraid to venture into the great world of battleships, astral armaments and astronauts. So he never got a taste of the world. Not until his name was called by the Intergalactic Trainee Board.

Everyone in his unit was surprised that Oris would be selected. The Light Catching games were intense and fierce involving athletes from all over the galaxy who are willing to risk their lives to be crowned. A few eyebrows were raised because Oris was known to be unathletic.  In fact, nobody at the learning center was sure if there was anything he was particularly good at. But somehow whether by accident or miracle, he made the selection. 

Adopted as an infant, he never knew his real parents. The only thing he knew about himself was his name Oris which was engraved on the necklace around his neck when he was given up for adoption.  

Now at the edge of their seventeenth year, Oris, Ash and Axel all felt the pressure. They all wanted to prove themselves to the world. And the Light Catching games was their shot. It was seven days until the Light Catching Games and Oris thought about forfeiting. He felt like an imposter amongst these great athletes. They stood at the edge of the stadium watching in awe. It was a massive region of space surrounded by nothing but red dwarfs. 

And Pegasus stood dignified in the center of its constellation. Oris was still awestruck when suddenly 

BOOM

Axel tackled him into the abyss of the arena. The two teenagers tumbled down under the influence of light gravity down into depths of the stadium. 

Oris struggled to regain his breath. 

“Man, you got me right in the gut” he said gasping for air.

“First rule of intergalactic drifting. Be alert at all times” said Axel. 

Oris waited a few moments before returning the favor. He charged towards Axel relying on the propelling force of his hoverblades. 

But Axel had already anticipated that, holding his guard up the whole time.

“Seriously guys? Very mature” said Ash scoffing at the tqo..

As the two struggled to subdue one another, Ash couldn’t help but notice a rumbling in the distance. 

She ignored it but it got stronger and stronger until the ground beneath them started to vibrate. She looked to the sky and noticed a bright sparkling particle- a shooting star maybe- but it wasn’t an ordinary star. It drew nearer and nearer until its light illuminated the entire stadium. 

By the time Axel and Oris felt the vibration and heat from the light, it was already only a mile away from them. Axel was numb. Oris froze. The mix of panic and shock temporarily shut down his nervous system.

Axel stood still and watched in amazement. Whatever it was it was heading towards Oris at lighting speed. Now, it was only a few inches away.

Adrenaline kicked in. Oris blinked for a second before the force of the incoming particle sent him flying yards across the stadium. 

And in an instant, the light was gone. It’s remnant was nothing but debris and shockwaves throughout the ground. 

Everyone could feel the impact. Nobody knew what it was but it was the coolest thing they had ever witnessed.

January 07, 2024 18:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

10:22 Jan 20, 2024

Fantastic world-building and a super intriguing setup! I could see this becoming a series. Great writing!

Reply

O Okoye
15:28 Jan 21, 2024

Thank you kind sir for reading and also the great feedback. It means a lot. I am grateful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.