Magic In the Air- By Laksh Pagaria

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Write a story told from the point of view of an animal.... view prompt

1 comment

Kids Mystery Fiction

MAGIC IN THE AIR

Hi guys, my name is Leo, I am a cat, and you know that cats are sympathetic, kind and obviously extraordinary and so on. I lived with an owner who was very rich, & wealthy but he was not sympathetic. Whenever he was free, he always watched his humongous television and never played with me or fed me well. As I lived in miserable conditions, I thought of running away from the repulsive circumstances. The same thing happened every day like if you´re stuck in an infinite time loop.

One day, I waited till it got dark and when the owner went to have an amazing sleep after his perfect work. The second I couldn’t see him, I tiptoed to the cat door and ran away to a top-notch restaurant that has amazing Frappuccino´s and incomparable pizza´s and lived in a cardboard box next to a garbage bin which was pretty close to that restaurant. Whenever the workers threw the leftovers to the garbage bin, I hid in my cardboard box until the workers left and then I attacked on the yummy Frappuccino and pizza leftovers, and I gulped the Frappuccino and savoured the Pizza remains down every day.

My normal routine is to roam around the city and when the sun is down, I would return to my cardboard box and wait for the astonishing leftovers like if they were coming just for me. One fine day, I was going to follow my routine like always, I started to saunter in the city just like any other person or should I say cat. While strolling, I saw 5.4 ft tall man with glasses and blond hair. His legs and arms were very skinny. He was hiding in the space between two skyscrapers. He was doing some strange things, it took me a moment to realize that it was magic, not the good one but the bad one, the forbidden magic of witchcraft that my old owner used to reading out loud. The man stomped his feet 4 times, moving his hands like if he was swimming while saying some unfamiliar words known to man and animal kind. He did these strange things and it started to smell like a good cheese. Suddenly, a portal opened in the mid-air and the stranger got sucked into the portal like if he wanted to go in there. The portal was there but was starting to close so, as a curious cat, I rapidly ran close to the portal without even thinking and the portal drew me in.

Once I got in, my face stretched out and even got thinner, also, my fluffy hair was gone and finally my legs and arms became fat and bold. At the other end of the portal opened an entrance where I could see a ray of light, so, I tried to dive out of this humiliating portal. I was diving down and got through the entrance and landed to the rough floor which was good enough for me. I saw a board which had “welcome to the town where cats live and also where the paranormal comet is found” written on it. I saw some cats next to a mystical temple, I sprinted to them to ask what place is this? and what is the paranormal comet? Once, I reached to them, I asked them if they are cats just to be sure because they looked like cats, but they responded with a big yes but in Spanish. Then I asked them where I am, as the considerable cats replied that we are in a town named Septemberburg because the month is always September there and that made sense to me. It’s a good thing that l learned Spanish with my old owner, so, I understood everything. I asked them if they have more cats nearby and they replied “si, temenos muchos gatos que viven en 40 metros de aqui”, I thanked them and walked to the area they had told me and saw a lot of cats which were working very hard.

I started to look around the place, and suddenly, a cart had started to roll down and couldn’t be stopped by anyone. I saw, there were many old cats that were moving at the speed of a turtle. So, I ran to save them from the runaway cart and took a hold of it by putting my legs down and holding it firmly, so, that it would slow down. The cart was about an inch away from the old cats but then the cart stopped. I felt relieved that the cats didn’t get hurt but I was very tired after this, so, I fell to the ground with my eyes open and I started to breathe slowly. The cats asked me “What is your name?” and I responded slowly “Leo is my name” and then they chanted “Leo!!! Leo!!! Leo!!!” for a short period of time cheering me for the good work I did by saving the old cats. With confidence, I stood up and asked the cats if they knew about a strange person that came here. They replied that they didn’t know about any of this. I told them that he could be here to steal the paranormal comet because he used a type of bad magic which is called “forbidden magic” of witchcraft to get here. Suddenly, I saw the stranger standing next to the majestic temple which has the paranormal comet inside it. The cats started panicking, as they could also see a thief standing on top of the majestic temple trying to get inside. I quickly thought of creating an alliance with them, so we can get to the top of the majestic temple and stop the evil man from running away with the comet. The cats agreed to form into a clowder and luckily, they called me the leader and that would mean that I would have to lead them, so I told them that we march to the temple right now. We started to march with confidence and gracefully to the majestic temple like if we were going in a WAR.

We stopped at the top of the majestic temple. The stranger came out with the paranormal comet and when he saw my army, he got scared and tried to make a portal. Before he could even start to make his portal, I attacked my strong army to him. He got frightened when my allegiance was coming to him, so he put his hands up and gave the comet to my wealthy cats and said that he gives up. The cats danced around with their comet with the sparkle in their eyes and the stranger was tied. I came up and told him that he would never use the evil magic of witchcraft and never steel things. The stranger nodded and promised. The stranger did his bad magic again but this time it was for good to open a portal that would send him back to the city. He jumped in, looked at us and said sorry.

Now, it was my time to go, but I didn’t want to. I had to choose between my lovely Frappuccino and pizza leftovers or stay here with my cat friends. The cats were sad with tears in their eyes which made me think twice and then I changed my mind to stay with my extraordinary cat friends over city. Now my life was happy and fun everyday with my cat friends.

By: Laksh Pagaria

Grade 5

December 16, 2022 19:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Susan Catucci
18:42 Dec 22, 2022

Nice job, Laksh! This is a charming story and Leo is a terrific cat character that I really feel I've gotten to know by the words you used. I like that he ran away from home for a better life and enjoy all that pizza. Then he went to a magical place with plenty of other cats! I hope you'll keep writing more stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.