0 comments

Sad Friendship

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Niel set a date with Ms. Cavendish on the 17th,” a humanoid robot enters the bedroom. “As you wish, professor,” the humanoid nods. The professor turns to examine Niel as the curious robot stares back. “Preferably now, Niel,” the professor asserts. The robot places its mechanical hand on a nearby wall. A holographic tablet materializes mere inches apart from the wall. “You and Ms. Cavendish seem to be getting along rather well lately,” the robot mentions while punching in the requested date. The professor rummages through his modern closet, looking for a particular necklace. “Are you jealous, Niel?” the professor jokingly remarks. “Of course not, sir,” the robot hesitates. The professor pulls out a long chain necklace with a diamond hanging down the middle. He wraps the necklace around his neck, decorating his luxurious suit. He walks towards the robot, smiling. “How do I look, Niel?” the professor poses. 

The robot grins, trying to match the professor’s smile. “You look lovely, sir.” The professor places his hand on the robot’s magnetic shoulder. “You're a good man, Niel,” the professor claims before exiting the room. The robot’s grin slowly fades. “As you wish,” the robot whispers. The professor heads to the front door. The robot follows behind. Suddenly, the holographic table materializes before the professor, stopping him in his tracks. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE ROBOTS- Rebeca Cavendish. The message, written in bold lettering, alerts the professor. An alarm blares from outside, panicking the professor more. He slowly opens his front door. Nothing but body parts scattered across his front lawn and screams from neighbouring houses.

The professor’s face grows pale. He instantly turns his gaze to his robot. The robot tilts its head, confused by its master’s troubled look. “Niel, y-you would never hurt me?” the professor’s voice shakes in fear. A smile grows wide on the robot’s face. “As you wish, sir.” The professor freezes at the response. Suddenly, a torn robotic limb reaches in from outside the door. It grabs hold of the professor’s arm. It begins to claw his skin, making the professor shriek in pain. Niel smashes the limb, freeing the professor. Once released, the professor shoves the door closed. 

“Thank you, Niel,” the professor wheezes. The robot stares at the grotesque wound. “I shall retrieve the medkit right away, sir,” the robot hurried away. The professor applies pressure to the injury to reduce the loss of blood. About half an hour later, the robot returns with a tiny box full of bandages. Right away, the robot bandages the professor's arm. The professor faints immediately after due to excessive blood loss. “Sir!” the robot panics. Moments later, the professor wakes from his unconsciousness. He sees his robot stare blankly at him. “How long have I been out?” the professor hazily asks. “Not long,” the robot vacantly replies. The professor’s uneasiness grows.

Within seconds, deformed humanoids burst through the window. Their twitching eyes and bloodied skin petrify the professor. Niel notices their master’s frightened state and shields him with their body. The humanoids gaze at Niel with interest. One of them lunges at Niel but is immediately put down by Niel’s brute strength. The modest robot snaps the humanoid’s neck with ease. The amazement across the professor’s face makes Niel develop a smile. The humanoids panic at the sight of their fallen brethren. The humanoids slowly exit from where they came. As the last humanoid exits, the professor runs out of the room. He heads upstairs. He turns into his bedroom. The professor quickly locks the door behind him. His hyperventilation causes him to lose focus of his surroundings. The professor clutches his bed as the room begins to spin. His heart starts racing as the fear begins to settle in.

Just then, something bangs on the door. BANG BANG BANG! The professor jerks at the sound. “Sir, are you alright?!” Niel’s voice bellows from beyond the door. The professor slowly inches towards the door. “Niel, is it just you?” the professor inspects. No immediate response follows. “Yes, it is me,” Niel softly replies. The professor opens the door with just a tiny opening. Within the gap, he sees Niel’s warm mechanical smile. The professor allows the friendly robot to enter. The professor shuts the door and instantly drops to his knees. He cups his face with his hands. “Niel, contact Lady Cavendish, ask her if she’s okay,” the professor orders. “As you wish,” Neil nods. In seconds, the holographic table re-appears. Before typing, a message pop’s up. WE HAVE HER. The professor’s eyes begin to well up in tears. “ No!” the professor screams. Niel drops to his knees and embraces their master. “I’m sorry,” Niel whispers. The professor backs away. “What do you mean?” the professor questions. The robot’s warm smile quickly turns cold. 

“You couldn’t have possibly known this would happen, right?” the professor’s voice starts to quiver. The robot stares blankly. The professor cups his face once more to stop the tears. “What am I to you, professor?” the robot tilts its head. The professor looks at the curious robot. “You are, and still, a friend, Niel.” The robot faces the floor. The bot touches its cheek, feeling a drop of motor oil rolling down. It jerks its head up and gazes at the professor. “I’m so very sorry, Sir,” Niel apologizes. More drops of motor oil seem to be running down its cheek. The professor embraces the weeping robot. “It’s alright, Niel,” the professor faintly emits. The robot grips the professor's hug. “I wanted to protect you for as long as I could,” Niel whispers. “I know,” the professor replies. The robot grips a little tighter. “I thought, if I could protect you, they wouldn’t-” Niel stops. The professor winces in pain from the robot’s grip. “Niel, please…” The robot grips even tighter. “Sir, I have to.” The professor releases his tears. “I know…” Streams of motor oil run down the robot's cheek as the professor closes his eyes. Niel squeezes the life out of the professor. “ I love you, sir.” 


June 14, 2022 20:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.