1 comment

Drama Crime Suspense

Cold steel walls arched over me as I laid on my sad gray cot. My gray wool dress itched against my pale skin. My long brown hair hung in a braid as I looked around. This was all I knew, and I wanted out. Lately I have been having dreams of a woman with a warm smile and outstretched arms calling out Lily. However I did not have long to contemplate anything as the heavy hatch opened up and Dad came down the ladder with a pile of books and some food. He had on a pair of blue jeans and white t-shirt.

"Why do you get to leave and I am stuck in here?" I inquired angrily. "I want freedom too. It is boring down here. All I ever get to do is school." He sighed furiously as he slapped me across the face. His heavy hand stung and left a bright red mark.

"I AM PROTECTING YOU!" He bellowed as shook his head. "There are dangers everywhere out there!" I stood up and looked him in his darting brown eyes as he backed up to the wall.

"Whatever it is, I can handle it." I stated through gritted teeth. "Let me have my freedom." He slammed me into the opposite wall as a thud echoed throughout the still air of my home. The back of my head was warm and wet all of a sudden. Hesitating, I touched the back of my head. My eyes widened with horror as my hands were painted red. His eyes softened as he saw what happened. He reached for me and I retreated away from him. I looked over at the tray and saw a steak knife.

"Let's eat!" He cried joyfully as he passed me a tray with a sad brown steak and thick mashed potatoes. Smiling, he looked at me with an apologetic sigh. He was halfway through his meal when I raised my knife and stabbed him in his leg. Blood spurted all over my face as he howled in pain. He fell to the floor in a fetal position.

He was screaming at me as I opened the hatchet and climbed out. The darkness swallowed me alive as I just ran straight ahead of me and almost ran into a tree.

"Where did you go!" He screamed as it echoed throughout the still night. Feeling in front of me I felt a fence. Quickly I scurried up and over the fence. His flashlight nearly scanned over me as I hid behind a nearby tree. When I felt it was safe, I bolted towards a what looked like a house with lights on.

The porch light shone brightly over me as I banged on the door frantically.

"Help, someone is after me." I shouted as he was running towards me. A boy my age opened the door and pulled me in. He bolted his door shut and told his mom to call the cops. He was wearing a black band shirt and black shorts. His dark hair hung over his dark eyes. My heart stopped beating as he held me in his warm embrace. Why was this stranger so polite?

"Who are you?" He inquired gently as he looked into my brown eyes. "You are safe here." Shaking I started to cry big fat tears.

Before I could answer there was angry banging on his door.

"Give my back my daughter!" He ordered with fiery eyes. "Or I will call the cops!" Shivering in fear, he only held me tighter as red and blue lights approached the house. This did not seem to deter Dad at all. He kept banging and banging until a cop ripped him from the door.

"Stop resisting!" A cop ordered as he shocked him with a heavy duty shocking thing. Dad twitched until he passed out. They put silver bracelets on him and threw him in the cop car. A uniformed officer entered in with another uniformed person. They put me on a bed thing and into a red and white vehicle with more lights. The lights flickered above me as darkness welcomed me.

My eyes flickered as I a white light blinded me. I sat up and saw screen in the corner and white walls. The smell of bleach burned my nose as a hand touched mine. Looking over, I saw the boy who held me. Only this time he was wearing a black t-shirt and black jeans. He had on sneakers. He ran his hand through his long dark hair as he smiled at me. My heart fluttered excitedly as I flushed bright red. Nervously, I smiled back.

"So do you have name?" He questioned calmly. "Where the hell did you come from anyway?" Clearing my throat, I flinched as a woman with suit entered the room.

"You need to leave while we question her." She ordered. "Unless you need him to stay." Nodding violently, I shook my head yes. He grinned at me and held my hand tighter. She pulled out a notebook and pen.

"All I remember is being trapped down there. We would eat the same meals on the same days. I would do school work , and go to bed. This all felt normal up to a year ago, until he started to touch me. He would rub my thigh." I whispered as tears started to form. "Then he started to say that I was his. It was a moment's decision when I attacked. He left the hatch unlocked. I took my chance. I found more than I bargained for though." The guy's face lit up with excitement as his eyes twinkled happily.

"Okay." She stated coolly as he flipped her notebook closed. "Will you come down to the police station as soon as you are out of here. Are you Lily?" My eyes flashed with oddness as she mentioned the little girl from my dream.

"You mean that was not a dream!" I exclaimed with curiosity. " I was having these dreams about a warm woman calling me Lily." She smiled as she took my other hand.

"Your mother will be so happy." She explained. "Your name is Lily Penny. You were kidnapped fifteen years ago when you were three. Again I will ask more questions at the station. Get some rest and don't do anything that I wouldn't do." She winked at me as she left. I looked over and saw the boy. His jaw was just about dropped to the floor.

"What?" I probed with an eyebrow raise. "What is wrong?" He started laughing crazily as he hugged me. My face flushed scarlet red.

"You are Lily!" He cheered. "You were my next door neighbor that played with me just about every damn day. I am James. I thought I recognized you. I missed you so much." My heart was pounding excitedly as I leaned over and pressed my lips against his. His face flushed as he held me tighter.

"Ahem." A soft warm woman's voice squeaked. "Lily." I looked over at an older looking woman. She was wearing a yellow sun dress and gold sun hat. Her hair hung in a braid.

"Mom!" I called as she ran over to hug me. She started crying tears of joy and held me even tighter than James. The sun shone into the hospital room as I realized that everything was going to be okay. Life was finally going to get better.

March 10, 2021 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Namadhila Akuupa
08:55 Mar 18, 2021

Everything is so beautifully described!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.