0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Sirius picked up the letter addressed to him. It read, "Meet me where we first met,

Katherine Usagi." He remembered the first time they had met, in the freezing snow. He knew someone would die soon, whether it was going to be him or Katherine once again, was up to fate. "Blackstar, Move out!" He ordered, making a portal. They all went through, and went into the snow.

They saw two figures. One was Katherine, the other one was Vivian.

"Hello! You may be wondering what it is we're doing here. We are going to send you to your destiny!" She exclaimed, all the while, his invisible demon drew a circle with a killing curse Kill Charge right in the middle of Blackstar and Katherine's team. All of Blackstar, except Sirius, ran around Katherine, so that Katherine and Vivian were surrounded by Sirius and Blackstar.

He knew what his demon did, but he didn't know what they were planning to do. Katherine shook her head laughing. "Oh, ok. I see ho this is going to end. And trust me, I have no problems with it. Let me help you all out." She said, as she stepped directly onto the circle. Somehow, she widened it so Blackstar was also caught in the Kill Charge circle. It expanded towards Sirius, but it hit a barrier Sirius nor Katherine knew about.

'Z must have put the barrier up around me when she put down the Kill Charge.' He thought to himself. Nicholas started singing.

"Almost heaven, West Virginia. Blue ridge mountains, Shenandoah river." Yui used her magic to make music. and others chimed in. Vivian tried pounding on the barrier keeping her in the kill charge circle, but to no avail. Soon, everyone, including Katherine were singing. The only people not singing, were Vivian and Sirius, as they were trying to take down the barrier, for differing reasons.

"Life is old here, older than the trees, younger than the mountain, blowin' like a breeze, country road, take me home, to the place, where I belong, West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home, country road. Country road, take me home, to the place, where I belong, West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home, country roads!" As they finished, there was a blinding flash of blue light as the Kill Charge went off.

Sirius saw the other versions of him turn to stone, smiling. Even the ones that can't really smile because they were like him. The other Blackstar members fell down, and Katherine smiled one last time. "See you soon." She said, before falling down in the snow. The barrier keeping him out of the circle went down. He dropped to his knees. He couldn't believe it. Everyone he loved, his new family, was dead.

He sobbed. He felt the hot tears run down his face. Then, he felt a warm gust of air, and someone lightly grab his shoulder. He looked at her. She had red hair, and glasses. He didn't know her at all, but he hugged her close, and cried into her shoulder. She led him up, and snapped. A door appeared, and they went through it. She sat him on a bed, as he wipe his tears from his face.

"I already have people gathering the bodies, in case you wanted a funeral for them." She said. "I assume they were close to you?" She said, bringing his face eye-to-eye with hers. He nodded. "What's your name?" She asked. "Sirius Kuragari." He answered. She nodded. pushing up her glasses.

You're staying here for as long as you need to heal from this." She said, beginning to leave the room. He got up as well, but the lady wouldn't allow it. "I didn't ask you, I told you. You're staying here until you've recovered." She said sternly. He nodded, and sat back down.

She left, and brought back some saké for the both of them. He quickly downed his drink, and so did she. "So," Sirius asked, "Where am I?" She grabbed his empty cup. "We are in Japan. Kyoto, to be exact." She stated.

She put the cups on the table. What does that ring do? It's glowing." She said, full of curiosity. He looked at the ring. "It keeps me from getting intoxicated. I haven't taken it off in years, so if I did, I'd fall asleep instantly for a week or two, then wake up with a massive hangover." He explained.

The woman nodded. "Take the ring off, and go to sleep. When you wake up, you'll drink a concoction I make to get rid of hangovers. And that is an order." She said firmly. He nodded, took off the ring, and fell asleep.

When he woke up, his muscles ached, and he was extremely nauseated. The woman walked back in the room with a cup of what smelled like green tea. "Here, drink this, but do it very fast, ok?" She asked, and he nodded, downing the drink as fast as he could.

When he was done, he handed her the cup, and sat up in the bed. "How long has it been?" He asked. She looked up and thought for a minute. "About a week and a half." She answered. He nodded. "Also, what is your name? I don't think you told me." He said. She laughed.

"The names Kyoko. Kyoko Kotori." He thought for a moment. "Kyoko Kotori. Kyo-ko, Ko-to-ri." He said, getting a feel for her name, separating each syllable.

He smiled briefly, then winced as if it hurt. "Nice to meet you, Kyoko Kotori. I have a feeling we're going to be great friends." He said.

She nodded. "Me too." She said, and she gave him a hug. Because that's what friends do. "This afternoon, we are going to the amusement park. So be ready. And don't dress so formal, ok?" She asked, and he sighed. "Ok, seems reasonable." He admitted. "I'm going to change out of my pajamas, and you better be ready when I get back." She said. "But you said we're going in the afternoon." Said Sirius, confused.

"I know. Couldn't hurt to be ready in advance though, right?" She asked. He agreed, nodding his head. As she left the room, she thought to herself. 'We're going to be great friends. I mean, we have to be. If we don't, the whole plan, everything, will fall apart.'

January 26, 2022 13:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.