8 comments

Drama

I, Jim Walter, presently of, Denver, Colorado, declare that this is my last will and testament…

Yes, I am writing and finalizing my will. I know who deserves to take over my assets, my legacy, my belongings… 

It does feel weird when you have been around for over a century on this planet. I am Jim Walter. I am still going strong and I believe I can reach 110. 

I have seen a lot in my life. Good things, bad things, indifferent things, and things you learn from. One thing that has been really difficult to accept is that I have outlived my spouse and my two kids. Life can be beautiful but without my wife, my kids, my siblings, and my parents, it feels like a knife pierced my heart.

The last survivor was my wife who passed away three years ago of natural cause. She was almost a hundred. She was in bed for many months before the call came for her to go up there. I lost my both kids to cancer. That was major grief for my wife and myself. I loved her so much and now, I feel like I should leave soon this world to join her. Elizabeth, my wife, would not want me to commit such a cowardice act though. She told me that my time will come when it is due. She told me I must keep going, live, laugh, fight, stay healthy, and keep finding purposes to live for. 

It is so difficult though when the only blood-related members live so far away and barely have time to meet this old prehistoric creature. I do have four grandkids whom they have a total of six kids of their own. Unfortunately, I am a stranger to them. 

I have this young man who is 16-year-old that lives three houses away from mine. A great kid named David. He lives with his mom, Cynthia. A single mom and his son. I know that the mother works really hard to give the best life for her son. A lot of times she works eighty-hour shifts. She is a nurse so the need is always there for overtime. We all know, that extra incoming can never hurt if spent and invested wisely. 

David has more than a few times crossed my path. He knows that I am an old lonely man living by himself. So, when I get off the cab or the public bus at the corner of the street with my groceries or shopping bags, and that David is sitting outside on his porch with a book or his smartphone, he would always come running to me and help out with my bags. At first, I did not want his help. I always avoided asking for help from people. One thing life has taught me, always rely upon yourself as much as possible. However, with age, and loneliness, it becomes difficult to not ask for this kind of help. With time passing and myself getting to know David better, I started to open up to him about my life. I felt I was talking to my great-grandson. I was spending more time with him now than any of my blood-related family members. I become so close to David, that we would come over and play chess with me. Sometimes we would watch a movie. Have supper. I was invited many times to his place to have a good meal with him and her mom. They become my new family we can say.

So many times, I have called my grandkids and great-grandkids. None of them had time to talk to me over the phone, reply to my emails or text message me. With technology at your fingertips, 24/7 available, I would assume I would stay in touch with them easily. Unfortunately, it was not the case. I felt like I was back in my childhood where people needed to write and mail letters to stay in touch with relatives and friends.

One day, I decided to conduct a test. What kind of test? A test about love and loyalty. Yes. I needed to how much my descendants loved me. So, I proceeded to send an SMS, email, and place a phone call to each one of them. I need to know who would answer me. Over the next few weeks, my goal was to make sure to attempt to reach all of them. Even the youngest ones had smartphones so there was no excuse. After a month, I had reached out to all of them. Guess what? No one called me back, reply to my email or by text message. I even had left a voicemail message to them. No calls, no email, and no SMS! My suspicions were justified. It seems that they were just waiting for my passing away and to take over my property. To divide the sale of my house among themselves to get a good chunk of cash. This is without saying all the expensive pieces of art and collectibles I had accumulated over the years. Elizabeth always loved art. Several paintings were on the walls of this house where I spent the last seventy-five years of my life. 

If it wasn’t for David and Cynthia, I would say that my life was lifeless. At this point, I kind of knew who would get my house, my assets, my precious belongings…

One final test though was left to be sure about my own family. This time, I decided to call the eldest of them. My grandson, Jack. He did not answer but I left a message on his voicemail asking him if he can come over because I was ill and I needed to finalize my will. Five minutes after my call ended by leaving a voicemail, my cell phone rings. It is from Jack. He called and seem very excited. Asking me when he could come over to see me and that he was anxious, worried. It took me just one call to one of my relatives, and mention that I needed to discuss my will to get a call back within minutes! I was just a big paycheck to them. I kind of knew this was the expected outcome. I told Jack to wait a little bit because I was busy with home renovations and that I was not that sick. I did not give him more details. He kept calling me every few days. That same person had not contacted me in over fifteen years is now calling me a few times a week!

My will is not finalized but if David and his mom keep treating me that way, I know what to do next. Or…should I test their love and loyalty also before making anything final on paper?

September 04, 2020 05:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Christina Ziroli
03:40 Sep 12, 2020

I enjoyed reading this, even though it made me sad for the narrator. It would've been cool if at the end you showed his family's reactions at the reading of the will. Then again, that may have been too cliche :-)

Reply

Rajesh Patel
02:56 Sep 13, 2020

Hi Christina. Thanks for the feedback. I could have written more I guess. I wrote the story in a short period of time. I am getting into writing after so many years. This was my second story only here.

Reply

Christina Ziroli
03:36 Sep 16, 2020

Was a good read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
21:29 Sep 09, 2020

A pretty good effort despite the few grammatical errors. It is well written but a bit predictable. Maybe an incident which brings David and his Mom more alive.

Reply

Rajesh Patel
02:42 Sep 10, 2020

Hi John. Thanks for your feedback. True. In terms of story ending, it was predictable. I wrote this story within two hours at most. Just started writing again after so many years. Must make it more creative and less grammatical errors.

Reply

John K Adams
04:20 Sep 10, 2020

You've got to start somewhere. I wasted decades waiting for the right time. You have to make time. Do it.

Reply

Rajesh Patel
18:09 Sep 10, 2020

I love reading. Since I finished school in 2004, I did not have the chance to write an essay or a story. So now, I am trying to get back into the groove. You are right. We must make time. I am trying to submit now a story for this Friday. Wow! You have written close to sixty stories here! I will start reading them gradually. Get a sense of a good writing style.

Reply

John K Adams
18:23 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks for reading. I am proud of most of my output, averaging a story per week. Some are clunkers. Others not. I tell myself that Michaelangelo didn't do a masterpiece every time out. The point is to keep at it. Experiment. Stay vulnerable. Read it out loud.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.