Unintended Fire

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama

I sat in the back seat of the police officer's car, and knew what I had done had been right, but had severely hurt the person I had been trying to protect.

It was all I could do to make sure that Keisha got away. I knew she was excited by the fact that her virginity might be taken tonight, but I wasn't going to let that happen. I wanted to protect her, but I had been her best friend since fifth grade, and she wouldn't see it that way.

I wanted her to be happy, but I knew someone stealing her virginity in a one night stand at the Homecoming Party at my friend Norman's house would only make her depressed. I had to do something to make sure she didn't get hurt.

I turned and glanced out the window at the moving scenery. Same old woods, same old rivers, but somehow they seemed much more vibrant to me today. I let my mind wander while I waited for the ride to the station to be over. 

   -

"Keisha, a one night stand isn't going to make you happy." 

"What do you know, Harry? Have you ever had one, Dad?" Keisha had said defiantly. She always said I was a dad in a 17 year-old body. I never minded it before, but this time it rubbed me wrong.

"Yes. I have. I hurt the person's pride when I did it. She didn't have the courage to come back to school."

"Wait! You're the one who took Jill's virginity?" Keisha looked shocked. I blushed and looked down hoping my embarrassed face wasn't too noticeable.

"Harry! I am shocked at you. No wonder she didn't come back!" Kiesha twirled on her heel and stocked away from me. 

"Kiesha wait!" I darted after her. "Stop protecting me, Harry! You obviously don't want me to feel happy!" 

I stopped moving. I watched her retreating figure and felt sick inside. How was I going to make it up to her?

  -

The car stopped and I looked up at the impressive station. Two stories high, and a chain link fence around the back. The cop who was driving, got out and opened my door. I followed him inside.

The room was bland, only an ugly shade of gray blue wrapping around the room in a single stripe made a dent in the monotones gray walls.

The officer told me to sit in on the plastic chairs, and then he spoke to the officer behind the greeting desk. They nodded at each other, and with that I was escorted to a small holding cell.

They locked the door, and I leaned back against the bench. If only I hadn't had my knife on me that night. I wouldn't have done that.

  -

I sat against the wall at Norman's house and wondered where Kiesha was. I had to keep my distance, but I wanted to keep an eye on her, just in case.

I finally spied her looking at the jocks by the pool. I sidled closer to the outside doorway, and watched as she flirted with them. I once was part of that group, but after the "incident", my team ditched me.

One of the jocks must have invited her into the pool, because she began stripping down to her bathing suit. I looked away because I didn't want to see her body.

I looked over at Norman, he was watching me with a concerned look in his eye. Norman had had the longest crush on Kiesha and I knew he was feeling jealous and sad. 

I smiled at him as if everything was okay.  His face became less tense. I turned my gaze back at Kiesha in the pool. She splashed the boy who was on the diving board, and he cannonballed in front of her.

The spray of water hit the doorway where I stood, and I backed up to make sure I didn't get soaked. I sat down on the nearest chair and watched her.

  -

The hours seems to blend together and finally my father came to get me. He shook his head at me through the door, and I pretended not to notice. 

I was released on the account that I would be under house arrest until I was confirmed not guilty. I climbed in my dad's old Honda, and we headed back home.

  -

When I saw a boy who wasn't part of the jocks squad approach Kiesha, who had been drying off on the edge of the pool, I sat up straight.

He appeared to ask her a question and she nodded and said something back. I quickly scurried into the crowd as they walked into the building.

When they headed for the stairs, I knew what was going to happens. I quickly darted over to Norman and said, "Where is the electric panel?" He pointed at the opposite wall, all the while staring flabbergasted at me. 

I raced through the crowd as fast as possible, and yanked open the panel box. Having carefully watched my father work the electric box at home I knew which one I needed to cut.

I grabbed my pocket knife from my pocket and tried to pry the cord from the socket. A bolt of electricity spazzed out of the panel and landed on the fake flowers next to the window.

  -

"Go to your room, Aran. This is a serious offence."

"Yes sir." I said and went straight to my room. The navy walls were a welcome distraction. I focused on the only photo I had hung.

  -

I heard screams, the plant abrupted in flames and people started running outside. The power suddenly cut out and everyone gasped and kept running away from the plant.

I raced up the stairs and hoped I had been too late. Halfway up the stairs I saw Keisha and the boy covering their mouths and running towards me.

I turned and ran outside with them, or at least I thought I did. I heard something crack and the curtain rod above the window collapsed and hit Keisha on the head. The boy she was with didn't stop. I skidded to a halt, turned on my heel, and ran to her. The flames licked at her legs and I heard her shriek. I pulled her away from them and carried her outside.

It took a total of four hours for the firemen to out out the fire. When the police officers asked how the fire began, everyone looked at me.

  -

I heard my dad drop off a tray of food on the desk in my room. I didn't turn towards him, and pretended to be asleep.

I felt his hand brush my hair back, and then slowly he exited the room. I ignored the food, and fell asleep. Tomorrow would hold my future in it's hand.

September 05, 2020 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Janine Hallett
02:27 Sep 17, 2020

Very entertaining story - enjoyed the read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ariadne .
04:04 Sep 16, 2020

This was such an intense ride. I like the note it ended on - that today was horrible, but tomorrow is another day, another start. Excellent story! Please check out my story and review it! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.