Death Valley Danger

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Start or end your story with a heatwave announcement.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Suspense Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

The brutal desert sun beat down on the sleek black Jeep Wrangler. It headed south along the 190 through the barren landscape of Death Valley leaving a cloud of dust in its wake. 

Tom drove leisurely, his tanned hands baking in the sun atop the leather-wrapped steering wheel. He moved his hands out of the sun and glanced at the dashboard display to read the temperature: 118°F and climbing.

“Damn! That desert sun sure is hot! Feel the back of my hand, Tee!” He put the back of his hand against his sister's cheek who was riding shotgun. Tori pulled away and tried to bite his hand. Tom withdrew his hand, laughing, and glanced at the back seat where newly engaged Heather and Billy were smiling in amusement.

“Did ya’ll see that?” Tom asked and then lightly punched his sister’s shoulder. “I’ve got witnesses you piranha!”

“You’re gonna get skin cancer,” said Tori. “You don’t even use sunscreen.” She threw the bottle of sunscreen she was holding at her brother.

“Psh, as if,” said Tom. “Whatever doesn’t kill ya makes ya stronger.” He turned up the radio and started singing along to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. The bass rumbled the Jeep. Tom tapped the steering wheel to the beat, but the music abruptly cut off and three piercing beeps of the emergency alert system came through the speakers. Their cell phones began chiming and they all exchanged concerned looks. Heather and Billy pulled out their cell phones and stared at the warning message. One long beep came through the speakers, then a recorded message began in a computerized voice:

The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for all areas of Death Valley National Park. This could be harmful to anyone with a medical condition or the elderly. The National Weather Service requires you to not go outside and to stay in an air-conditioned room at all times. An excessive heat warning means that prolonged periods of dangerous heat are expected. Stay tuned to radio, weather radio, and other media outlets for—

Tom switched off the radio with a dismissive chuckle. "Typical government overreaction. They have to cover their asses so nobody sues ‘em." His sister shot him a skeptical look. "Don’t be a retard, Tom. I’m not letting you get my best friend killed weeks before her wedding."

“I’ve camped here before, Tee,” said Tom. “When I was rushing PIKE they dropped us off here with only the bare essentials as part of our initiation.”

“As part of your hazing, you mean,” said Tori. “It’s illegal you know.”

Billy leaned forward and put his hand on Tom’s shoulder. “You’re a PIKE, bro?”

Tom ritualistically moved his right hand to his face, then put up a fist and said, “Once a PIKE…”

Billy laughed, bumped Tom’s fist and finished the motto, “...always a PIKE!”

Tori rolled her eyes and waved invisible pom poms, “Yay…,” she mock cheered.

“Oh c’mon, sis! You know PIKEs are a good time!” He punched the roof of his Jeep and let out a whoop! “We always bring the party!”

“And the rooffies,” added Tori.

“Hey, there’s always a few bad eggs,” said Tom, “and we always toss ‘em out when they start to stink.”

“Whatever,” said Tori and crossed her arms. “We better not die of heat stroke!”

"Ah, come on! A little heat never hurt anybody. Right, babe?" Billy playfully nudged his 

fiancé, Heather. “Sometimes it’s better to turn up the heat, ya know what I’m sayin'.” Billy winked at Heather. She offered a weak smile.

"Sure," Heather said, “when there’s a shower available. But Tori’s right, maybe we should at least check the latest updates and think this through."

Tori nodded in agreement and pulled out her cell phone. After a moment, her brow furrowed. "That's weird. I don't have a signal." 

Heather checked her iPhone. "Me neither. It’s got the exclamation mark thing."

Tom shrugged, his eyes fixed on the shimmering road ahead. "Yeah, that's normal. You won't get any reception out here in the national parks. But we can’t turn back now. We’re almost to Manly Beacon. Trust me, the view will be worth it!"

"Hey!" Billy said. "I've got two bars!" He held up his phone, grinning. 

Tori twisted in her seat, "Really?"

“Oh, thank God!,” said Heather as she plucked her fiancé’s phone from his hand. "Oh my god! He's right!" she said, then frowned as one bar went away and then the second disappeared. "Well, nevermind." She tossed the phone back into Billy’s lap. He double checked his phone to make sure.

"Told ya,” said Tom, “but don't worry! Death Valley wasn’t meant for cell phones. This is a sacred place. This secret spot is special. I’ve got all the camping gear we need in the back and plenty of water. It'll be perfect." Tom looked over at his sister and placed a hand on her shoulder. “I promise,” he said.

Tori bit her lip, a nagging worry gnawing at her. "Tom, don't you think it might be hotter now than it was back then? Climate change and all that? How long ago was it? Seven, eight years?"

"Oh, please," Tom scoffed, accelerating as they passed a sign welcoming them to Furnace Creek. "A few degrees won't make a difference. Trust me, this is going to be epic!"

Tom jerked the steering wheel to the right pulling the Jeep off the road. The Jeep bounced along a barely visible dirt path, kicking up dust clouds in its wake. Tom's white knuckled the steering wheel as he swerved around rocks and bushes navigating the treacherous terrain. As the Jeep sped deeper into the heart of Death Valley, the sun-baked landscape seemed to shimmer and warp in the distance.

"You sure this is the right way?" Tori asked, her voice tight with concern.

"Positive," Tom replied, though a flicker of doubt crossed his face. "It's just... changed a bit since I was last here."

“Yeah, that’s what happens after 8 years,” said Tori, “and it’s been record temps year over year.”

Billy cracked his window open and recoiled from the oven like air from the outside. Fine desert sand rushed in through the cracked window and blew in his face. Billy started coughing and quickly rolled up the window. 

“Hey, Tom, maybe she’s right.” Billy rubbed the sand from his eyes. "Maybe we should turn back, and find a designated campground or check into a hotel?"

Tom's jaw clenched. "Don’t you start too…coward."

“What was that?”

“Nothin’, just hold onto your panties. We’re almost there.”

As they crested a small rise, a vast expanse of dunes and jagged rock formations stretched before them. Tom brought the Jeep to a stop. A triumphant grin spread across his face.

"Here we are! What'd I tell ya? Perfect!"

Tom stepped out and threw his arms wide and took a deep breath. The rest of the group timidly exited the Jeep, the scorching air was unrelenting. Heather stumbled, steadying herself against the Jeep's hot metal frame for a split second.

“Holy shit, that’s hot!” screamed Heather.

Tori squinted. “This heat is intense.” She scanned the barren landscape. "Tom, are you sure camping is allowed here? I don't see any markers or facilities."

Tom waved dismissively. "Of course. It’s called backcountry camping. Now come on, let's set up before it gets dark."

The sun was low in the sky as they unloaded their gear. It painted the sky in luminous shades of pink, orange, and red against a dark blue sky. Tom wasn’t lying. He had all the latest camping gear. He had one small tent for Tori and another for Heather and Billy. Tom stated that he wouldn’t need a tent and would sleep under the stars. When they finished erecting their tents and unpacking all the camping gear everyone was sweaty.

“And now for the pièce de résistance, I present to you…,” Tom dug around in the back of the jeep but finally turned around with shower kit in hand, “a shower!”

“You’re kidding!” Heather clapped her hands like a giddy child and wiped the sweat from her brow.

Billy glanced at her and then leered at Tom with jealousy.

“And…,” said Tom with all the flair of a stage actor. “Drum roll please.” Heather and Tori slapped their hands on their sweaty thighs giddy now that they had a shower.

Tom lifted the false bottom cargo floor revealing a built-in cooler filled to the brim with ice-cold beer.

“Beer!” said Tom winking at Billy.

“Once a PIKE…,” said Billy as he smiled.

“Always a PIKE,” said Tom with a beaming smile. Tom tossed Billy a beer and cracked one open, then took a sip. “You girls shower off and cool down. Me and Billy will get some dinner started.”

Despite the fading light, the heat remained oppressive. Their sweat clung to them like a second layer of skin.

Once the girls had showered, the group gathered around, nursing lukewarm beers from the cooler.

"See?" Tom said. "Isn't this great? Just us and nature."

A distant, echoing yip cut through the silence causing them all to freeze.

"What was that?" Heather whispered, instinctively moving closer to Billy.

"Probably just a coyote," Tom replied, but his voice lacked its usual confidence. 

The temperature dropped slightly, as night fell, bringing a small measure of relief. They roasted marshmallows over a fire, sharing stories and laughing, the earlier tension slowly dissipating.

It was well past midnight when they finally retreated to their tents. Tom rolled out his sleeping bag on top of the Jeep. The desert night was alive with unfamiliar sounds, but exhaustion soon pulled them into a fitful sleep.

A blood-curdling scream jolted them all awake. Billy burst out of his tent and bumped into Heather who was shaking, flashlight in hand. Tom got to his feet on the Jeep roof and turned on his flashlight which was far brighter than Heather’s. The beam of Tom's flashlight cut through the darkness, illuminating a pair of glowing orbs. A deep, rumbling growl filled the air. A big cat emerged from the shadows, its powerful form silhouetted against the starry sky. It padded closer, drawn by the scent of their food and the shower water. The mountain lion hissed at Tom’s spotlight. 

"That’s…that’s a…," Tom breathed, his earlier bravado evaporating.

Tori crawled out of her tent asking, “What’s with all the commotion?” She looked up and saw the large cat with it’s teeth bared. “Oh shit!”

“Tee,” whispered Tom to his sister, “get in the Jeep.” Tom pulled his keys from his pocket and unlocked the vehicle.

The mountain lion rushed forward letting out a scream and swiping it’s paws at the air letting them know they were trespassing on it’s territory. Billy and Heather retreated behind the Jeep. 

"Get in the Jeep!" Tom yelled. He threw his flashlight like a football at the charging predator. It struck the cat right in the face stunning it for only a moment. Tom hopped down from the roof on the opposite side the cat was on. The cat lunged on top of the roof.

Tom and Heather rushed into the back seat. Tom helped push Tori into the safety of the Jeep. The mountain lion took a swipe from atop the Jeep roof scratching Tom’s head. He let out a cry and threw himself into the Jeep. Tori reached across him and shut the door as the mountain lion jumped down from the roof. She caught it’s paw in the door and couldn’t close it. The cat scratched at Tom’s legs shredding his skin. He cried out in pain like his sister had never heard before. She slammed the door again and again but the cat’s limbs prevented the door from closing.

“Billy!” she screamed. “Don’t just sit there! Help me!”

He opened his door and distracted the cat just long enough for Tori to pull the door closed. Tom slammed his door in a panic as the predator swiped at him but the window shielded him from the claws of the cat. Once he closed the door Tori locked the Jeep and sat back in the passenger side front seat.

She looked at her brother. He was bleeding from the deep scratches on his head and his leg was covered in blood. He wasn’t moving. She brought her hands to her mouth.

“Tom?” she barely whispered. He moaned in reply.

“We’ve got to drive,” he barely mumbled. “We’ve got to get outta here.”

Tori nodded. “Where are your keys?”

Tom searched his pockets and them instructed them to look on the floor of the Jeep but they couldn’t be found.

“Wait,” said Tom. “My phone. I can start the Jeep from the app.”

He pulled out his phone and brought up the app. He held the start button and they all waited in anticipation. For a tense moment, they thought it might work. A message appeared: No signal. Wireless Control Module Failure.

"No, no, no," he muttered, and tried it again to no avail.

They trembled in the vehicle, hearts pounding. The mountain lion paced, its tail twitching in anticipation. They could hear it circling, its low growls sending shivers down their spines.

Hours passed, each minute stretching into an eternity. None of them dared to sleep, startling at every sound. As dawn finally broke, the mountain lion's presence faded.

Cautiously, they emerged from the Jeep. The campsite was a mess, their supplies scattered and torn.

Everyone found their shoes except Heather. She sorted through the mess barefoot and suddenly cried out! Billy rushed over and saw what had stung her. A black scorpion was scuttling away. He stepped on it and it crunched under his boot.

“Are you okay?” he asked his fiancé but he looked down at her rapidly swelling foot and knew this was dire.

“We need to get to a hospital. I’ll hot wire the Jeep,” said Billy. But no matter how many times he tried, the engine refused to start.

"Dammit," he said, slamming his palm against the steering wheel in frustration. 

Tom looked at his sister. "I’m sorry Tee…I should have listened to you."

Billy paced back and forth, running his hands through his hair. "So what do we do now? We're in the middle of nowhere, with no car, no phone signal, and Heather's hurt!"

Tom took a deep breath, trying to project calm he didn't feel. "Okay, let's just calm down. We have maybe two days of water, some food. If we ration it, we should be okay until help comes."

"And how exactly is help supposed to find us?" Heather snapped, her patience wearing thin. "We're not even in a designated camping area!"

A gust of hot wind swept through the campsite, carrying with it the promise of another scorching day. They retreated to the scant shade provided by a nearby rock formation, Heather limping with Billy's support. As the sun climbed higher, the temperature rose with alarming speed.

By midday, their situation had become doomed. Their water supply, already limited, was disappearing faster than anticipated. Tom started fading in and out of consciousness.

"Tom?" Tori asked. "Tom, what's wrong?"

"I'm... I'm fine," he mumbled, but his unfocused eyes and slurred speech couldn’t lie.

"It's heat exhaustion," Tori said, her voice tight with fear. "We need to cool him down!"

As Tori and Heather worked to help Tom, using their precious water to wet cloths and place them on his neck and wrists, Billy stood apart, his face a mask of indecision.

"I... I think I should go for help," he said suddenly. "I'm in the best shape. I can move fast, find a ranger station or something."

"Are you crazy?" Heather exclaimed. "You can't go out there alone! You'll die!"

But Billy's mind was made up. Whether driven by a genuine desire to help or a need to prove himself, he gathered what supplies he could carry and set off, ignoring the others' protests.

“You’re a fucking coward, Billy!” yelled Tori.

As Billy's figure shimmered and disappeared in the heat haze, Tori and Heather exchanged a look of grim determination. With Tom incapacitated and Billy gone, they were their only hope now.

The hours crawled by, each minute a struggle against the relentless heat. Tori and Heather took turns caring for Tom and watching for any sign of rescue or Billy's return. They rationed their remaining water with utmost care, fully aware that their lives depended on it.

As the sun began to set on their second day in the desert, Heather spotted a dust cloud on the horizon. Her heart leapt, thinking Billy had somehow succeeded. But as the cloud drew closer, it became clear it wasn't Billy at all, but a park ranger vehicle.

Tori and Heather waved frantically, tears of relief streaming down their faces as the ranger pulled up to their makeshift camp.

"Thank God," the ranger said as he jumped out of his vehicle. "We've been searching for you since your friend stumbled into the station this afternoon. He's at the hospital now, severely dehydrated but he'll be okay."

As they were loaded into the ranger's air-conditioned vehicle, Tom barely conscious and Heather limping, the full weight of their ordeal began to sink in. The drive back was quiet, each lost in their own thoughts.

"I'm sorry," Tom said, his voice weak but sincere. "I should have listened to you, sis. I nearly got us all killed."

Tori squeezed her brother's hand. "We all make mistakes. But we survived, together."

Tom smiled and nodded and squeezed his sisters hand. Tori squeezed Heather’s hand and they both knew everything would be alright.

August 10, 2024 03:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.