1 comment

General

Laura’s morning began as they always did, a nurse quietly stealing herself into the room. Poor Grace always tried to stay quiet when she brought in Laura’s breakfast, but Laura was a particularly light sleeper. Not wanting to hurt the poor girl’s feelings Laura would feign sleep until Grace gently shook her. Some days it took longer than others and Laura would have nothing better to do than lie there with her thoughts. She thought too much she’d muse to herself, proving the very theory such a thought posited. 

“Mrs. Vitcavage?” Finally Grace gave the signal, and Laura stretched her arms over her head sitting up. The artificial light filtering through the curtains offered no real comfort or warmth in the mornings, but it would have been far more dismal to eat in the dark all these months. 

“A big day isn’t it?” Laura paused over her eggwhite omelet. Peering over her hand at Grace. There was no malice in her eyes. To tell the truth there wasn’t much of anything there. Grace didn’t hide anything behind her words. She genuinely said what she thought on almost every occasion. Unlike the doctor she never pitied Laura. In fact she wouldn’t even let Laura get away with Pitying herself. After six months Laura still couldn’t pinpoint whether that was refreshing or terrifying.

“If you find the end of things significant, then I suppose it would be.” Laura regret it the moment she’d said it. Not because she didn’t feel that way, but rather because she knew she shouldn’t feel that way. The disappointment when Grace replied was almost palpable. 

“Now don’t think of it as an end. You’re starting a new job in a new house. It’s practically a whole new life for you and frankly I’m a bit jealous.” Laura sipped her water stretching one more time before pushing the tray aside. Laura had never understood people who liked change. She’d always dreaded it. Even more so since the accident.

“I suppose, but I liked my old job just fine.” Grace obviously had nothing to say to that. Laura lifted herself up sliding her legs off the bed and into the wheelchair. It still felt strange, no matter how many days went by she still reached down touching them and hoping for some sensation she knew wouldn’t come. It wasn’t a good way to start the day...With disappointment.

“Would you like to pack your bag, or should I?” Laura waved Grace back wheeling over to the dresser to look at her meager collection of belongings. She hadn’t brought much to the clinic, but she hadn’t missed much either. 

“I’ll do it. Thank you.” Grace nodded stepping out into the hall.

 “I’ll come get you when the car arrives.” It only took a few minutes for Laura to pack her bag. All she had were a few changes of clothes, her laptop and a drawing from her daughter. After that she just rolled up to the door waiting to be picked up. She wondered, not for the first time if this was what her life had come to. Waiting for something to happen as the rest of her life ticked by. 


When Grace finally returned Laura let herself be wheeled out of the room and down the halls. While her room was cozy enough, with the rug and loveseat. The hallways betrayed the nature of the clinic as they wheeled past countless locked doors and up to a large door with a card swipe. As they made their way to the lobby Laura felt grim. She’d expected to be relieved once she was out of here, to feel free somehow, but it was quickly dawning on her that the hospital wasn’t where she felt trapped. 

“Oh cheer up, it’s been so long.” Grace leaned down by her ear as if she could feel Laura’s mood sinking. Than the dread set in. It had been months since she’d seen her family, and now they were going to see her like this. As they entered the lobby her eyes scanned the room before finding her husband. His red hair stood out in the bland room like a stop sign in a snowstorm. He was  kneeling in front of their daughter combing his fingers through her brown hair. Meanwhile Kate shifted awkwardly, fiddling with the hem of her dress. Finally relief began to set in. They were just as nervous to see her. 

Kate was the first to spot her as they wheeled closer. At first, all she did was point. Laura’s mouth went dry as she struggled to find a single word to say. Than Mark stood up and faced her. He’d shaved. She’d barely gotten him to shave for their wedding, but today he’d shaved. Small scabs peppered his jaw betraying that he still wasn’t very good at it. Some things never changed.

When Grace finally slowed in front of them there were several more seconds of silence. She still couldn’t think of what to say. She had no idea how to greet them after so long apart. Hi seemed too impersonal, and if she said how much she missed them she might cry straight away. So she said the one thing present in her mind.

“You shaved.” He laughed rubbing his chin and directing his attention squarely to his shoes. 

“Yeah, I wanted to make a...good impression I guess.” He rubbed the back of his neck like he was embarrassed. His smile was as soothing as ever. It was the first thing that attracted her to him all those years ago.  

“Mommy!” Just one word broke the malaise she hadn’t been able to shake in months. Laura couldn’t help but grin from ear to ear reaching out to hold Kate. It was good to be able to hug her again. It was different. She was bigger, and of course her hair was longer. But one thing about it was exactly the same. Kate hugged her just as tightly as she ever had. Tears rose to Laura’s eyes in that moment and she looked up at Mark squeezing Kate to her chest. Mark knelt beside her as well, hugging her with shaking arms.

"I love you, so much." They cried together for a short while, but afterwards Laura felt better than she had before the car accident. As Mark wheeled her out to the car and she held Kate in her lap she looked back at the clinic one last time. Sure some things had changed, but the most important things had stayed the same. Despite all her lonely reflective hours, It was the first time Laura had thought about that. Now though she knew that truthfully, that was all that mattered.


December 17, 2019 14:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

16:46 Dec 25, 2019

Simply stunning!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.