1 comment

Adventure Fiction Friendship

There’s 3 things you should know about Charlie.

  1. At any given moment that he’s speaking to you, he’s probably wishing he wasn’t.
  2. He spends his free time assembling puzzles.
  3. He hates traffic.

Unfortunately for Charlie, he finds himself particularly fed up at the moment due to fact number three. Traffic means wasting his precious time off work sitting in a steel box when he would much rather be making a pot of coffee and taking off his shoes. In a sense, Charlie feels like he is rotting away in an urban prison. At least there’s air conditioning.

He’s not sure why there is such an abnormal amount of traffic today. Usually his ride home is straightforward with a normal amount of traffic and a lot less of a headache. Today, though, people are stopped bumper to bumper. He hasn’t moved an inch in about half an hour.

Charlie decides to investigate.

He gets out of his car and wanders down the freeway, the smell of gasoline burning is almost nauseating. Eventually he stops and looks in awe at the cause of the largest traffic jam he’s seen to this day.

A billboard had fallen into the freeway.

People tend to underestimate just how massive billboards are. After all, they have to be seen by drivers from miles away. This billboard in particular sports one of those cryptic Jesus-y church advertisements. It plainly states “Hell has risen. Find God today.”

Charlie wanders towards the flustered emergency teams dealing with the strange accident. It seems as though no one had been hurt, thankfully, but there was simply no way around the billboard. 

“Sir, please return to your vehicle. We will issue a statement as soon as we can.” A police officer blocked him from moving any further.

“Officer, it seems like you’ve got your hands full, but I’ve got a cat to feed and a bladder that could explode at the drop of a hat. Is there any information you can give me? At all?” Charlie asked, not completely lying about his bladder but exaggerating just enough.

The officer looked at him exhaustedly. “Look, I’m not supposed to tell anyone anything, but honestly? I’d suggest parking your car and trying to find another way home. Nobody is moving for at least another 3 hours.”

Charlie stared. 

“Thank you for your time, sir.”

He turned back around and started wandering towards his car. He supposed he could call his neighbor to feed Nancy for him in the meantime, so he picks up his phone and dials Tim. No answer.

He turns off the car and cracks the window. The sun was just starting to set, casting the cars in a warm light. It might’ve been beautiful if Charlie wasn’t so tired.

Suddenly, as if an angel had heard his thoughts, a motorcyclist weaved its way through the maze of cars. They were wearing a shiny black helmet and a leather vest with the Harley Davidson logo embroidered across the back. 

Charlie, too desperate to be embarrassed, rolls down his window and yells at the motorcyclist.

“Excuse me! Sir!”

The driver turns their head and lifts the visor of the helmet.

“It's ma’am.”

She pulls up next to Charlie’s window, her black nails standing out against her pale skin.

“Oh!” Charlie exclaims. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to offend y-”

“It’s fine. I’m used to it.” She smiles halfway at him, obscured by her helmet. “What can I do for you?”

“Well, I have a bit of a… situation..” She gives Charlie a weird look. “I’ve been stuck here for almost an hour and haven’t moved an inch. I have a cat to feed at home and she’ll get really quite upset if he doesn’t eat soon.”

She thinks about his proposition for a moment. “I can take you where you need to go. I was just riding around to clear my head anyway. Might be nice to do so with a stranger.” This time, the smile she gave Charlie was genuine.

“Thank you so much… I don’t think I caught your name.”

“Ava.”

He opens his door and steps out to shake Ava’s hand.

“Charlie. Thank you, again.”

“It’s no problem. It’s good karma,” she said.

Charlie triple locks his car and briefly wonders what would happen if the billboard miraculously cleared in the next 10 minutes. Someone would hit him, probably. 

“Where are you headed?” Ava asked.

“East District. About 15 minutes if we continue on the freeway,” he replied.

“Hm. Okay. Hop on behind me,” she pulled out a pair of sunglasses from a compartment in front of her, “and wear these.”

Charlie had never been one for sunglasses. He almost felt like a celebrity wearing them which was quite honestly, his worst nightmare. Nevertheless, he obliged.

 He straddled the bike uncomfortably and was careful to keep his hands to his sides. Ava spoke up.

“Hold onto my waist,” she said as she flipped down her visor. 

Given permission, he listened and gingerly wrapped his arms around this stranger's waist. They eased off, leaving his car waiting for his return, while Ava expertly navigated traffic. They passed the police officer Charlie had spoken with earlier and he gave him a brief smile and wave.

Ava sped up once she passed the billboard. There was nothing but open roads and a setting sun. Charlie was instantly thankful for his sunglasses, both to protect himself from the fierce wind and the bright light. She took the first exit they saw.

“What are you doing? The highway is a straight shot to the East District,” Charlie shouted above the wind.

“Taking a back way. It’s a beautiful evening, don’t you think Charlie?” He could hear her smile in her voice.

His stomach dropped, and he was suddenly very aware that she had total control over his life for the foreseeable future.

She sped down the exit ramp, leaving Charlie’s stomach and sensibility on the freeway. The wind was throwing his hair in every direction as his shirt pulled against his skin. They took a sharp left at the bottom of the ramp, barely making the yellow light, and Ava continued to fly.

Charlie was sweating absolute bullets even though the air was just starting to cool and the wind was chilly on his skin. He had never been on a motorcycle in his life, let alone with a complete stranger. He was also acutely aware that his fingers were digging into Ava’s waist.

He was overcome by the hilarity of it all.

“Enjoying the ride?” Ava yelled behind her. She probably feels my anxiety biting into her, Charlie thought, and loosened his grip a little. They were currently down a road that was flanked with fields on either side. The sun was sitting low in the sky, just barely dipping into the horizon. It was quite beautiful. Beautiful enough to ease his worries if only a little.

“Actually, I think I am!” He laughed.

She picked up their speed just a notch, soaring past sporadic cars and small buildings. Adrenaline was pumping through Charlie’s entire body. He felt himself smiling involuntarily.

“What would you say to some coffee?”

Charlie, already having a strange enough day, shouted his reply.

“Absolutely.”

Another minute or so passed of the pair on the motorcycle, two strangers bound by the thrill of speed. Ava slowed as they approached a busier area and pulled into a plain looking coffee shop Charlie had never seen before.

The Dawn’s Grind. One of my favorite local spots,” she stopped the bike and took off her helmet. “Ever been?”

“Can’t say I have,” Charlie answered.. The smell of fresh grinds wafted out the front door. It was a nice change from the smog of the highway.

“I know you have a kitty waiting at home for you. We can be quick.”

He thought for a moment of Nancy waiting at home. She was probably bathing in what was left of the sun. She could wait another 20 minutes.

He held the door for her and entered the warmly lit coffee shop. A cheery barista welcomed them inside.

“What do you like from here?” Charlie asked.

“They have the best mochas.”

“I’m more of a black coffee guy myself.”

“Oh god,” she made a face, “I picked up a psychopath.”

“Maybe you did.”

Ava laughed and walked to the counter to order. Charlie followed. The barista turned the screen around to ask for payment.

“Please, allow me.” Charlie pulled his card out of his wallet and stuck it into the machine.

“Thank you, Charlie.” She was sincere.

“Thank you, stranger.”

They sit at a table near the door, watching the occasional pedestrian wander by.

“What brought you to the site of a toppled billboard?” Ava questions.

“Work. I had just gotten off. I stopped and just…didn’t move. I actually got out of my car and found an officer to give me answers. He told me it would be hours, and my poor Nancy just can’t wait that long.”

“Nancy is the cat, I assume?”

“You would be correct.”

“I’m more of a dog person myself.” She pulls out her phone and shows Charlie a photo of a smiling German Shepherd. “This is Apollo.”

“What a good boy!” Charlie has a soft spot for cute animals. 

“He’s my best friend. Had him since he was a puppy.” She replaces her phone back into her pocket.

They make small talk about pets and billboards and sunsets. The barista brings them their drinks - a mocha and a black coffee.

This is much better than my pot of coffee at home, Charlie thinks.

“So,” He breaks the silence that had grown between them as they drank their respective drinks. “What brought you to the scene of the crime?”

Ava sighs, and for the first time he sees a crack in her cool exterior. 

“I just needed some space.”

Charlie doesn’t push, but she continues.

“I got rejected. From my graduate program, I mean. I failed a prerequisite course. Feels like everything I worked towards was pointless.” Her nail taps an anxious cadence against the table.

“I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine how disappointing that must be.”

“Yep. But, I’m having a much better day now.” Her smile doesn’t quite reach her eyes as she speaks to him.

“I hope so. I’m sure things will fall into place. What was it you said earlier? Good karma?”

This time her smile is a little brighter. “Good karma.”

The conversation between them is easygoing. She talks about her days as an undergrad, how it’s her dream to work in cybersecurity for Google, and her love of everything fast. Charlie talks about his work as an entry level accountant at a local corporate office and a puzzle he’s been working on lately. It’s a scene of a Parisian café.

Before they know it, it’s been an hour.

“Oh my goodness,” Charlie says as he checks the time. “I’m sure they’ve just about cleared the highway by now.” He opens his phone to check the news for any updates.

“I’m so sorry! I just got so caught up!” Ava apologizes.

Charlie cracks a smile. “It’s okay! They’ve barely made a dent in the thing, but I’m sure Nancy is thinking I’ve just about died by now.”

“The poor thing. Let’s get going.”

Charlie, realizing his bladder is almost inthe state he told the police officer it was in, excuses himself to the bathroom while Ava waits outside. As he’s walking out, he catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror. His hair is still ruffled from the bike earlier. His cheeks are slightly flushed, and he sees something in his eyes that he hasn’t seen in awhile.

Pure, unfettered joy.

He hops back onto the bike, this time much more comfortable than before, and prepares himself for the thrill of the motorcycle.

“Let me put my address in your phone.”

He puts his apartment complex in the East District into Ava’s navigation. And, in a bold move, he puts his contact information under ‘Charlie - stranger on the bike’.

Ava props up her phone, and they set off twisting and weaving through the now dark streets. He’s sure they’re going much faster than they were before.

Maybe they are.

Time flows like wet sand. He’s not sure if it’s minutes or hours that he's holding onto Ava’s waist and watching the world fly past. 

All too soon, they slow into the parking lot of his apartment. It’s as if the magnificent high of the evening is floating downward like a feather in the wind. He taps her shoulder to signal her to stop.

“This is me.”

Ava rests her leg on the ground to steady the bike and removes her helmet.

“I really can’t thank you enough for taking me home. I’ll find a ride back to my car later tonight.”

“It’s no problem. I hope Nancy hasn’t eaten herself alive yet.”

Charlie cracks a laugh. “That’s very well a possibility.”

He lingers on the bike for a moment before getting off.

If Charlie was bigger, maybe he would’ve asked her to come inside. Maybe he would’ve asked her to do this again sometime.

But, he’s not. He’s just plain sized Charlie.

He walks up to the door of his building and turns around to wave goodbye. The taste of black coffee still lingers in his mouth. Ava has her helmet on already and returns the gesture.

Don’t be a stranger, Charlie thinks, and heads up the stairs.

For the record, Nancy is completely fine. She was lounging atop the couch when Charlie walked inside. He prepares her dinner and starts the oven for his own, the TV playing in the background so Charlie can keep an eye on the state of the billboard. There’s probably another hour or so before he should leave.

He eats his dinner with the comfort of his cat and phones Tim to ask him a favor. He answers, and they theorize about how in the world a billboard could’ve fallen onto the freeway as Tim drives Charlie to his car.

The ride home was uneventful. He thanks Tim for his kindness and promises to treat him to drinks. He sits in silence the whole way home. 

As he parks his car, his phone pings next to him.

A text from an unsaved number reads, “Hey stranger”.

November 10, 2022 14:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anne Zubrick
18:01 Nov 14, 2022

what I like best was when something bad happens and you take a risk that you would not normally do. Not passing a class that holds your future may in my mind make you likely to pick up a Stanger to help them out . That for me rang as a truthful and reckless action behind the woman on the bike. I enjoyed the story I think you have the begins of a romantic book. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.