The Ordinary Life of Sato

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Fiction Friendship

Welcome to a new episode of „The Amazing Life of Yuta“! Let’s see what kind of adventure awaits him today!

Yuta was slowly walking with his friends to school while chatting with them. They grabbed a quick drink on the way. All of a sudden, a truck was driving towards Yuta’s best friend Reno. What could Yuta possibly do?

He activated his psychokinesis, and stopped the driving truck, while also keeping the driver safe. What a hero! 

„How boring“, I thought to myself. Being a side-character in this boring, generic series is annoying. Yuta this, Yuta that. He gets all the praise just for being the main character, itˋs not like he is special. The plot made him special already, it wasn’t his choice.

I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Sato Hiroshi. The fourth side-character of „The Amazing Life of Yuta“. I have a boring name, a common appearance, and Iˋm average in both academics, and sports. I'm the character that always blends into the background, but you can still see him sometimes to fill the gap. My grades, height, and weight is also average. The amount of time I spend at school, in recess, in the bathroom, and also on my way home is also average. I go to school, try to avoid Yuta and his friends and just live life. This story wants me to have a circle of friends: a chubby guy, and a skinny dude with glasses. AIthough I try to avoid them. Plot twists in which I come in is annoying as well. I just want to live an ordinary life. If I were to have my own series (which I wouldn’t want), Iˋd call it „The Ordinary Life of Sato“. Youˋd say my life is boring, but I really appreciate it when I donˋt see the protagonist for a while, and just do whatever I feel like.

This is the 244th episode of the series, and Iˋm still shocked to see it airing for this long. This show absolutely sucks. Iˋm generic in my own way, but Yuta is the „superhero“ you see in every series. Heˋs a normal student, but has superpowers. Nothing more. Weird red hair, and light blue eyes. Maybe that is a bit odd, but thatˋs all. Oh, and he only wears tank tops. Okay, he might not be so generic after all. But you get what I mean.

Itˋs not like I want the spotlight, Iˋd rather always sit in the back, but to still be a part of this whole thing is stupid. Same with the praise Yuta gets. Iˋm not jealous, but fans treat him so highly. I hope this whole show ends in a few more episodes.

Well, back to what I was doing. While explaining all this, Yuta and his friends already arrived at school, and finished their classes. They were walking home with lots of small adventures on the way (just like the script wants it), and I was minding my own business walking alone. The chubby, and glasses guy should be next to me, but I tried to bend this part of the story, and got out of school faster. Birds were chirping, and I could hear the main theme of the show playing in the background. It wasnˋt that bad actually. Right when I said that, my generic circle of friends surrounded me.

„Hey, Sato! Why did you leave before us?“. I guess the script wants us to always be together. What a nuisance.

„We were supposed to play videogames at your house after school, right?“. I never said something like that. And you are definitely not coming to my house. I donˋt even remember their names, but they treat me like we are the best friends in the world. There are so many characters in this show, how should I remember all of them. Even if, I wouldnˋt remember the names of boring guys like this. What am I saying? Iˋm part of their boring circle. The series has made me a boring, generic character too. Generally, we sit around in class, and eat lunch together. After school, we either hit the arcades or go to my house and play videogames. Thatˋs what the script says, not me. I tried my best to avoid all of those activities, but somehow the plot still forces me. I tried not to answer, and walked faster, but all of a sudden…my mouth moved. A voice came out: „Of course, Megane, Iˋll beat you in Street Fighter!“. Why did I say that? I didnˋt even remember his name a few minutes ago. Is this part of the plot too? I guess I have to say some things I donˋt want to. But Megane? How ironic.

We arrived at my place, but we didnˋt enter before the main cast walked in front of us. This time, a truck was supposed to hit us, but I didnˋt fear that at all. I knew Yuta had to save us, but I would rather die either way. Yuta stopped the truck once more. It actually exploded crashing to the wall next to us, but he safely pulled out the driver. What unnecessary action. „Are you guys fine?“, Yuta asked. „Thank you so much Yuta-san! You are a real hero!“, Megane answered. The chubby guy seems to keep quiet. But „Yuta-san“? Why were these guys praising him so much as well? Well, part of the story, I guess.

Now Yuta looked at me, and held out his hand, because I was on the ground. My instincts said to accept the help, but I forced myself to neglect it. I pushed his hand to the side, and got up by myself. Yuta was shocked, so was the whole cast. If I remember correctly, the script wants me to accept his help, and thank him, just like Megane did. I slowly realized what a mistake Iˋve done. The whole world was going black, as if crumbling apart. Such a small action could do this?

I swayed from the original way the story was laid out in. This was the consequence. What would happen now?

July 31, 2021 10:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tayler Gentry
22:35 Aug 11, 2021

Pretty interesting

Reply

Adra Verse
22:29 Aug 12, 2021

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.