The Big News

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about a character making a big change.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I enter my room crying as my mom tells me the news she has been trying to tell me for a long time. I know my mom can hear me crying in our small house. Our house isn't big: two small bedrooms, a kitchen, and our living room. I stop crying when I hear my phone ring. I pick it up and it is Anna. I have known Anna since we were in matching dippers. She is like a sister to me and there is not one thing we do not do together. I pick up the phone sobbing.

"Hey, Anna, what's up?"

Before she even says anything, I can't hold back my tears. " Emma, what's wrong," she asks.

I tell her everything from my mom telling me she got promoted which is going to result in me moving away. She even tries to cheer me up but nothing seems to work. I try to end the conversation because I really don't want her to feel like I am ignoring her. When I get done talking to her, it is really late. I turn off the light and go cry as I go to sleep.

"Hey, Emma, how did you sleep," my mom asks me.

I ignore her. I grab the cereal box and a bowl. I pour the cereal then the milk and I go sit at the dining table. I'm mad at her for attempting to make me leave Orchard Hills and all of my friends but it felt like she did not even care about how much it affected me.

"Emma, ignoring me is not going to change my mind," she tells me.

" Look at the bright side, we will have a bigger house and once I get enough money, I can get anything you want", she tells me

That kind of cheers me up but it doesn't change my mind. I gave her an assuring nod. I grab my backpack and go to the front door to put on my shoes.

Anna comes up to me with a sad look. I know she is sad that I am leaving. Today is going to be my last day at this school. I won't be able to see any of my friends or my teachers after today. Everyone is asking me questions about why I am moving and where I am moving. I felt like people didn't care about me moving away, they just thought it was a small thing.

" Emma, get up!", my mom hollered from the kitchen.

I hear loud noises from outside and I know the moving van is here. Our house is small and we are going to leave some of the things here for the next homeowners. I get up stretch and put on my fuzzy slippers I got for Christmas. I go downstairs to see my mom rushing and telling the movers what to pick up. I go back upstairs and grab the boxes that are in my room. I put them in a pile where all the other boxes are. Then, my mom and I help the movers put all those boxes in the moving van.

As we enter the big city of San Francisco, I feel kind of excited. This is a big change but I have made up my mind that I have to adapt no matter what. There is no way my mom decides to change her mind. The van takes a turn to a tanned color home. I get out of the van and grab my backpack. As we enter the home, I look around. The house is small but bigger than our older house. It is already decorated. My mom had saved up enough money to get it pre-decorated. It was nice and actually felt like home.

My first day of school was actually not that bad...

I made new friends and loved all the teachers. Everyone was really friendly to me and they didn't make me feel left out. I had even impressed everyone with my outfit. A white sweater that my mom got me for my birthday paired with ripped gray jeans. My outfit was paired with white shoes which I had to prevent from getting dirty.

" How was your day at school today honey?", my mom asked as I walked in.

" It was good!", I tell her.

I told her about everything that happened from all the friendly people to even how the lunch tasted. She was glad that I liked it. For once, I actually didn't regret moving away.

" Mom, I am sorry", I told her.

" I have been so rude to you just because of moving away and stuff", I said in a quiet voice.

She gave me a smile which told me she had forgiven me.

I go to my room to finish my homework. As I was doing my phone rang. I picked up to find out it was Anna. I told her about what happened today at school and how my moving trip went.

"Emma, are you going to forget about us?", she asked me.

"No Anna, I will never forget about us no matter what", I told her

"You promise", she asked.

"I promise", telling her in assuring voice.

I get up the next day and get ready. I put on many layers since it is cold outside. I run to the kitchen to grab my lunch and make it in time to catch the bus.

I run to Naomi's locker to talk to her. Naomi is a friend I made here. She is really beautiful, with her blond hair and her green eyes. It made her look like a movie actress. She told me about everyone including the rich and popular kids.

The day passed by fast. I got home and saw a car in our driveway. It was surely not my mom's car. The car was a silver color and was really clean. The car looked familiar and then it hit my mind.

Turns out, it is Anna and her mom. They came here to surprise me and my mom. Anna and I talked about everything about what's happening here and what is going on in Orchard Hills. Time flew and it was time to say goodbye. When I said goodbye to Anna and her mom, I thought about one thing...

I can never say goodbye to memories in Orchard Hills even if I really want to.

March 18, 2020 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.