0 comments

Holiday

She was glamorous. Short, black hair and bangs. She had little butterfly clips in her hair. She had a yellow sundress on and had nails painted orange. 


Bright, blue eyes and a big smile. She looked genuine, but also lonely. She stood by the punch table, her right hand wrapped tightly around her forearm.  


I hadn't noticed I was staring, but when she made eye contact, I freaked. I tried to look casual, but I, too, was alone. My friends had begged me to come to the New Years party that an upperclassmen planned. His parents were out of town for the weekend, and gave him free range of four story house. But, my friends had all abandoned me and I wasn't enjoying the night. 


She gave an awkward wave and a sheepish grin. I felt my heart flutter when she looked at me, and I made my way up to her.


"Hi," I said. She tilted her head and looked at me curiously. 

"Hello." Her voice was soft, smooth. Easy on the ears. 

"I'm Katherine. Katherine Moody." I responded, holding out my hand. 


She giggled, and shook it. "I'm Natalee. Natalee Scott. It's nice to meet you, Katherine." 

When she said my name, I felt my heart jump. "N-nice to meet you too," I managed. 


Now that I was closer, I noticed a butterfly necklace around her neck. It was small and blue. 

"Butterflies, huh?" 


"Yeah. They're..amazing. Breathtaking."

Just like you, I thought. 


....


We had spent the next few hours talking. It was only ten pm, but it felt like ten minutes had gone by. Now, we were lounging on the second floor, in a soft red loveseat. People around us were making out, and the music from below shook the ground. 


Natalee looked a little flushed. Her face was red, her neck and ears. I wondered, was she blushing? Was she sick? 

"Nat, are you okay?" I asked. She jumped and let out a loud laugh. 

"Y-yes, oh gosh, you scared me!" She gently punched my shoulder. 


We both paused, staring into each other's eyes. I noticed smaller details about her - along with the bright blue, there were small specks of gold and silver around her pupils. She leaned closer to me and I thought about kissing her. But I didn't need to do anything. 


She pressed her lips against mine, and I put a hand against her cheek, and strung one through her hair. The kiss deepened and I felt her smile. 


She leaned away, her breathing shallow. I dropped my hands and laughed. 

"Let's get out of here, Nat." 


....


I had lended her my coat, which she wore over he shoulders. Her blue flats moved against the concrete as we raced down the sidewalk, laughing. I held Natalee's hand in mine as we walked. 


We came to a stop in front of a small cafe. It was still open, though there were only a few stragglers inside. The lights were bright and I smelt a strong cinnamon smell. 


Natalee dragged me inside, giggling as we sat down at a booth. We sat shoulder to shoulder, fingers still interlaced.


A server came up to us and we ordered two hot chocolates and a slice of cherry pie. 


She let out a content sigh and dropped her head against my shoulder. She smiled and peered up at me. 

I smiled back, and turned my body so I was now facing her. She sat upright and I gave her a tight hug. 


....


We sat outside, on the sidewalk as we talked about school and life and everything else. She told me that her parents were overbearing and controlling. That she had barely just convinced them to let her go to the party that we had escaped from. That she hadn't come alone, she had come with her cheater of a boyfriend who had abandoned her there. Her parents had set them up, and would get angry when Natalee brought up how he treated her. Abused her. 


"Do you know why I like butterflies so much, Katherine?"


I shrugged. 


"Because they're... free. They can go wherever they want. Do whatever they want. They don't have to listen to their stuck up parents or abide by strict rules about your diet or your love life or...or, about your sexuality."


I looked at Natalee, and grabbed her hand tight. "You don't need to worry about any of that, Nat. This is going to sound crazy, but.. but you should run away with me."


She laughed, and I did too. It was a dumb joke, but a part of me - the smallest part of me - wanted to. 


...


We had decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. Her phone had been buzzing all night, so she had decided to just drop it down a sewer grate. I didn't understand it, at all. She insisted it was fine, that she didn't need it.

I wasn't keeping track of the time, but I knew it was nearing midnight. We swung our hands as we walked, and occasionally she'd lean over and kiss me on the cheek. It was nice. It felt nice to feel loved for once.

"Kat, what time is it?"

I checked the watch on my left hand. 11:55.

"Five minutes 'till."

She squeezed my hand. "Five minutes until I'm free." She giggled.

I looked at her, confused. "What?"

"Oh. Your joke, earlier. About us running away together... Not going to lie, I.. I want that. I want to know you."

11:56

"My mother left when I was three. My dad killed himself when I was fifteen." I managed. My eyes started to well up with tears. She pulled me close, and hugged me.

"I've been in the system for two years now. I've seen so much, been through so much. Been hurt and beat and starved. Just, so much.." I mumbled.

11:57

"It's okay, Katherine Moody. You're going to be okay. We can figure this out together." Nat ran a hand through my short hair.

11:58

I hugged her tighter. She was right.

11:59

We could change. Be better. Be free. Be like butterflies.

12:00

No longer strangers, we knew that we had to leave our past selves behind. Our past lives. We would never see those versions of us that felt hurt so deep. We would be free.

Together, we left. Left our old selves behind and never looked back.

December 28, 2019 03:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.