3 comments

Desi Romance Sad

TW: domestic violence

 

He hugged her from behind. Married. Finally. She thought. How long was it now? 8 months. That was not a long relationship. But they had so many hurdles to cross, it felt so long. Even though they both lived in Montreal, they had typically Indian parents, who were against marrying for love. Her father was the hardest to convince. It was like in movies, she was engaged to someone else for 5 whole days. But then Raj himself broke it off. God bless him. He figured out that her heart wasn’t in it. 

 

How ironic. They always thought they will be the easiest couple amongst their Indian friends' circle to marry each other. They were from similar religious backgrounds, lived overseas in the same city. But her father was just being so stubborn. She is happy now. So happy. 

 

And they managed to do everything so properly too. The reception went great, their families all made it to Montreal. The ceremony was at a Hindu temple too. So apt. Everyone was excited, happy and ended up having a great time. Although they were so tired after the reception, they still had their first night as a married couple to look forward to. Bliss. 

 

It has now been a month since the wedding. She is back at work. Ashley, her friend at work she spends chatting to most days at lunch, walks up to her. “Anu, ready to go? “ she asks. Anu didn’t reply. She was looking like she didn’t even hear. Lost in thought. 

“What is that on your neck Anu? Are you alright? “ Ashley goes on. 

 

Shit shit shit. She saw it. Anu gets up and quietly gestures to Ashley to follow her to the bathroom. When in there they both looked at the mark on Anu’s neck together. Her reflection was pale and sad. Not the happiest new bride. How could she be? She was feeling like a fool. 

 

Ashley softly asked, was it your husband who gave you this? Did you two get in a fight? 

It was a fight alright. It just hit her like a storm that he can hit her !! Hit her in the face. Although he missed and got her neck and chest. But god it was such a shock she didn’t sleep a wink all night. 

 

Was it because his father hit his mum too? How could she be so naive and still marry him even though she knew this about his parents? Wasn’t this one of the reasons why her father was against the marriage? Wow. She did not expect this.

 

When she got home that night, she was just exhausted. Blank. When she entered the apartment, she saw a box full of all the alcohol in the house sitting near the door. Odd, she thought. Then she realised that there were no lights on, just a few candles. Montreal doesn’t have power cuts, what is going on? She walked into their bedroom. Her husband was on one knee holding a brown ruler. She remembered that ruler. It was the wooden one her maths teacher used in school back in India where teachers are allowed to cane students for being bad. But where did he get that from!! And why? 

 

He just said softly, I am so sorry for last night. I was drunk. But I am never drinking again. Here, take the ruler and you hit me back. We will be even. She was just shocked. Did he mean that? 

 

She knelt next to him and asked, “Is this how your parents resolved their fights? “ He looked at her in shock. He probably did not realise this last night then. How he was doing what his father did. 

He shook his head. No. He said,” No Anu. They just went with it like it was nothing “. Sigh of relief. So we are not going to be like them then. He understands he was wrong. He is apologetic. Her life is not all bad. He won’t drink again at home and erupt. 

 

She took away the ruler and said to him,” I will use this on you, but not today” and she winked. She was being naughty with him now. They kissed, it all got nice again. How easy. How manageable was this relationship, she thought. Her father was wrong. So wrong. 

 

Three days later, they were at Anu’s office party. She was beaming. Her husband was good looking, intelligent, could hold conversations with her colleagues and so sweet to her. He got into a conversation with Ashley and casually mentioned how he was so proud of her. She was the first woman in the family to have a little job. Pocket money is good for ladies. 

 

Anu was jolted into reality. She had no idea she chose such a misogynistic man for herself. How could he do that? She wasn’t earning petty pocket money. She was making almost as much as he did. What the actual hell. She just let him have the few minutes in the party when they walked out, it was over. In her heart, she knew she made a mistake. 

 

She moved into a new apartment, alone. She cried her heart out over the failure of her marriage. 33 days long marriage. How could she have been so blind? 8 months of their relationship, 2 months engaged, 33 days married, now separated. Wow. 

 

She started to realise then, it's not anyone’s fault. He is what he is. She is not the one for him. The Sooner they realise this, the better it will be. When she sent him the court papers he was so angry. Out of his mind angry. But eventually, he gave in. Took them 3 years to finally end the marriage. 33 days married, 3 years long divorce. Hilarious. 

 

She is not 29. Standing outside a brewery, looking at her phone. She wants to make sure she is at the right place. There is a tap on her shoulder. Raj.

Small world. “Hi Anu, how are you? “ he looks so dapper in that suit. They exchange pleasantries. He asks, “Meeting someone here?” She says no, and invites him to join her. 

 

They didn’t know they both started something new then. That moment. Something that was always meant to be. 

July 04, 2021 23:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jess A. Smith
23:18 Jul 16, 2021

I really like the full circle feeling the story goes through! Nice work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michael Loss
14:14 Jul 13, 2021

Very tragic... Although the ending gives an uplifting feeling. Nice work!

Reply

Srishti Khemani
10:50 Jul 15, 2021

Thank you! Your comment means a lot 😇

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.