On the other side of the line.

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

I begin to tie the midnight blue ribbon around the white cardboard box when the quiet sound of my generic ringtone begins to go off. It triggers me to turn around with excitement, I carefully leap on into my king size bed to answer the love of my life as I rest my hand on my round stomach.

“Baby! I am coming home.” He cheers from the other side of the line. I hesitate to respond because I am so satisfied to hear those words. I don’t really see my husband, Daniel, often. He serves in the military and is home about every six months. And returns back to his base, after spending two weeks with me and our son Jonah. It may be little time, but I enjoy it because in his line of work you never know when that last kiss will be or the last ’ I love you.’ I hold my phone firm against my cheek trying to hold back my emotions. ”Hello? Whitney, Did I lose you?” He says with concern in his voice.

”No, I am here, Daniel.”

”Good, I was starting to think you were devastated at the thought of me coming home.” He jokes.

” No, of course not. I have just been waiting for a long hormonal filled six months for this moment. And I thought it would never come.” I say finally releasing my fears into the universe.

”Well, don't talk too soon. You will be sending me back with pleasure in a couple of weeks.”

”Never.” I say wiping my tears.” Hey, where are you?”

”About, 30 minutes away from the house, Why?”

”No reason, are you taking the freeway or toll road?”

”Well, that's a good question. I was going to take the freeway, but then I realized that would take an additional fifteen minutes. And I rather spend that time with you, so I took the toll road.”

” That sweet, but the answer ’toll road.’ would have done. But would you mind taking the freeway, and stopping to get some hamburger buns?”

” Ugh…” He says.” Whitney, if it was anybody but you it would be a no.”

” Well, do I feel lucky.”

” Yea, you should.” He laughs.” How many do you need?”

” Uh… Maybe get about 64.” I say hesitantly.

” 64?..... Oh, Whitney, don't tell me you are throwing me a surprise welcome back party again. Last time it didn't go so well, and Uncle Alister ended up in the hospital.”

”Yea, but he recovered.”

”Yea, after 6 months and with 3rd decreased burns.” 

” But the point is he recovered.”

” Fine.” By the tone of his voice, I can tell he's probably rolling his eyes.” But you are lucky you got a hold of me now. I am trading routes now.”

”Thank you, but when you come home, please act surprised.”

”Of course.”

”Okay, thanks again. But I will see you when you get here, I have to finish-”

”Woah! Hold up. Whatever it is can wait. Tell me how our baby is?”

”It's good, I had a check-up last week. ten toes… ten fingers… It's healthy.”

”That's great to hear. You didn't sneak, and find out the gender did you?”

” No! Of course not. We both agreed to wait until birth. But speaking of birth have you managed to take paternity leave for that?” I play with the curls in my hair as I wait for an answer, but something does not seem right. ”Hello, Daniel?” After a few seconds, he appears back.

”I am sorry, Whitney. What were you saying?”

”I was asking about your paternity leave. But is everything alright?”

” Yea… Well not really. There is a car on fire on the highway. I am going to call you back and check it out.” He says. My mind is racing with the utter stupidity of his words.

” What! NO! Do you hear yourself? Get back in the car now!” I scream out at his ignorance. 

”No, Whitney. It's fine. I am just making sure nobody is in it.” He tries to reassure me, but nothing he says will help me calm down.

” Daniel, come to your senses. Call the police, but do not go near the car. Keep driving, that car could explode with you near it.” I say trying to reason with him. 

”It's okay, my job is to serve and protect.” 

” Yes, at your base. But you are on a break. This is not your job. Again, please keep driving.”

” I can't, this is my duty.”

” And you also have a duty to take care of your family. Think about me, I will no longer have a husband. Think about Jonah, he will grow up without a father. Think about your unborn child, who will not have a single memory of you. Think about your parents, you are their only son. Think about your sisters, you are their only brother. You are irreplaceable. Whoever the car belongs to that is their fault. That is their dilemma. Do not make it yours. Do you understand?”

” Yes. But this-”

”But nothing, come home now. Forget about everything, all I ask is for you to come home. To me, to your son, to your parents, to your sisters. I am sure somebody has already reported it, please do your most important obligation and protect me and Jonah.”

He does not answer but I can still feel his presence on the other line. But I am too afraid to hang up and call the fire department myself. Because my words won't be able to influence him anymore. After a minute I hear a deep breath hoping that my words have sunken into his brain and that he has decided to go.

”Yes, But this is my obligation as well. I have devoured numerous hours of training for this.  However, if I don't make it out... I am so sorry. And I love you and I love our family.” He says. I bite my tongue in anger, as I hear the car door slam knowing I may lose him forever. I don't know what else to say, and for the first time in a long time, I feel absolutely powerless.

September 12, 2020 03:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.