0 comments

Contemporary Mystery Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

*contains swearing and mentions of substance abuse*


TROUBLE ON THE DANCE FLOOR BY ASTRID QUINN-FLETCHER, enjoy!


“It’s funny being back here, isn’t it?” Camden says to me with his posh accent laid on thick like the amount of butter I have on my toast. 

“By ‘here’ do you mean back at the museum next to our old school that we only visited once? Then yes Cam Cam, very funny.” I say to him exaggerating my sarcastic tone. 

“Oh shut up Syd you know what I meant.” He said it and left it to soak for a few seconds, a suit jacket covered arm finds its way around my waist and leaving me melting into him. 

“I’m sorry angel, I didn’t mean it like that. I guess I’m a little on edge seeing these people again.” He looks down at me with his beautiful ocean ish diamond eyes which makes me forget everything.

“Cam Cam, you don’t have to apologise when you’re literally making me melt with your hand around me like that, and you know I’m a little on edge too, last time I saw these people this dickhead had told them that I was a stupid slut and had slept with someone to get into Edinburgh…” Camden cuts me off with a kiss, his hand which moved from my waist to my back making me turn as red as my silk burgundy dress. 

“He must of been a complete and utter dick head and he must be very sorry.” 

“Yes well, I did forgive him after a while, but also we aren’t even up the stairs yet and your kissing me, how are you going to get through the night?” I say with a smirk while I take his hand from my back and lead him up the grand stairs up to the main museum building. 

“I don’t know, sources tell me that it might be a big issue.” He smirks back at me. Before I can say anything I’m struck by the beauty of the decorations covering the museum so when Camden tries to speak I have no option but to put a hand softly over his mouth and shush him “I’m scared if you’re too loud you’ll scare away the pretty decorations.” A muffled laugh escapes from under my hand and he carefully removes it, he whispers “well then, I’ll have to whisper the whole time won’t I?” He whispers with traces of his laugh.

I half shout “Yup! That’s what you’ll have to do!”

We don’t get to say another word before a ball of gold glittering energy comes rushing towards me. Alexandra. The girl who just about saved me from complete insanity in the final month when Camden said all the shit about me. “Wow Sydney! Aren’t you just the picture of elegance!” She hugs me tightly.

“Alex! You look so beautiful!” I twirl her like a proud mother on her daughters prom night.

“Your still so very sweet I see.” she notices Camden just behind me and her entire energy drops ever so slightly, “Oh! Camden Beckett.. hello. Looking very handsome aren’t you? You and Sydney made up?” She fires her signature statement and question that she always does when she doesn’t like someone. 

“Yes, hello Alexandra. And thank you, you look.. sparkly tonight.” he says to her stiffly. “Cam Cam? I’m going to catch up with Alex for a little bit, is that okay?” I say quietly and squeeze his hand, “I promise I’ll be back.” 

“sounds good, I’ll do my rounds, you do yours and we can meet at the drinks table when you’re done?” 

“Perfect!” I peck his cheek. “Byeee.” I loop my arm through Alex’s and walk with her around all the beautiful decorations and look at all the people we went to school what seems like millions of years ago even if it was only 10. “I can’t believe you and Camden! Together? How long? When did you make up? So many questions Sydney!” 

“My dear Alexandra, happy to see you are still as inquisitive as ever.” 

“Obviously! Lots has changed!” 

“Want me to give you the run down?” 

“You dont have to ask me anymore.” 

“Okay so it all started at a job interview for this graphic designer job thingy which I ended up getting to save your pretty little brain from the suspense.” I look at her and giggle like a five year old, which she returns and I carry on. “ and you’ll never guess what! Cam was the interviewer! And at first when I went in I was like, “you’ve got to be joking? This guy! Anyone but you!” And then, he delivers me the most Camden Beckett apology you’ve ever seen and I have a little step back and think, “damn, this dude.” So I forgive him and we get on with it, it goes perfectly then we go for coffee after we really hit it off and then… well I guess the rest is history.” I finish off jokingly out of breath. 

“All that happened in the space of one afternoon!” Alex says shocked, 

“from 1:45 to 4!” I grin and shrug. “I’m done talking, want to eavesdrop random conversations?” I ask Alex and she nods.


Dani Rockwell is on the phone next to us probably calling Mars Roth, they were always getting into trouble and doing stuff they shouldn’t so we pretend to have a conversation while we listen in. “Hey dude, yeah, I’m here it’s kinda lame might stay for an hour… haha yeah exactly mate… wait who? Mox? Moxie rivers? Dude.. you broke up 10 years ago hate to say it it’s not gonna happen… uh yeah? She’s here, looks well pretty as well long black dress with a lil’ slit.” There’s a long pause in his conversation. “Okay bro see you in 15.” Dani hangs up and tries not to look worried.

“I’m gonna talk to him.” I tell Alex defiantly.

“No! Sydney!” She says it too late and I go over to him.

“Dani Rockwell?” I ask him as if I don’t remember him.

“What? Oh! Sydney Willson! Been a while.” He chuckles nervously. “How are you?”

“I’m good thanks, although I couldn’t help but here a snippet of the conversation you were having, probably Mars wasn’t it?”

“What! Thats crazy! No way I was….” He gives up on trying to lie. “Yeah, it was him. Syd, I trust you. You went through crap that last month of school and I should of said something or whatever but I don’t have a Time Machine. Anyway I need your help, I trust you. You were always nice to me, remember year 8 when I dyed my hair bright red and you said it looked cool even if it looked shite?” His rambling makes me worry because he was always notorious for rambling when he lied.

“Dani, cut the shit. What’s happening with Mars and Moxie?” I take his shoulders to steady him and make him look at me. “Okay, okay, I’m sorry Syd I’ll cut the shit. I’ll cut the shit.” He tells me letting a bit of his nerves out. “Mars is wasted, I don’t mean regular wasted I mean, properly, probably wasted. He’s coming over here to try get Moxie back and he said he would do anything to get her back and Mars doesn’t say those things lightly Syd, you know that. He’s much more harmless now but I’m still worried. Moxie needs to get out of her. Some where he doesn’t know or something.”

“Shit, okay, thanks for telling me I’ll sort this. She’ll be out of here in 10 minutes tops.” I tell him, my brain going millions of miles per hour, I don’t want to know what he’s going to do to Moxie but I won’t let it happen. I run back to Alex and blabber to her. “Okay Alex, I have loved seeing you but I need to go, coffee on me okay? How’s Tuesday? Good? Good.” I don’t stick around to hear her response because I’m at the drinks table looking at Camden in the face and telling him we need to go. 

“Had enough? Okay, let’s go.” He says, keys in hand.

“Ill explain in a minute but we need to take Moxie Rivers with us.” Moxie conveniently makes her way towards the drinks table blissfully unaware of what could happen if we don’t get out of here. 

“Aww Syd! You look so incredibly beautiful. You really are so lucky.” She says to me happily. 

“Thank you so much Mox! You look stunning too but something is going to happen if we don’t go right now. I’ll explain in the car.” 

“O…Kay, it doesn’t have something to do with Mars does it? I got a text from him a few minutes ago.” 

“Yes, I’ll explain more in the car but the bottom line is Mars is completely and utterly wasted and he’s coming here now and Dani said he would do anything to get you back which could be not good. You remember the stuff they used to do. You have to stay at our place tonight.” Camden looks at me and finally understands the worry I feel for Moxie because I always ask first.

“Let’s go ladies.” He nods to us both as we rush down the stairs that we had only ascended 30 minutes earlier. We get down the stairs without breaking a heel and go home to our apartment which I’m suddenly worried will not be guest ready. I get 4 texts from Alex wondering about what’s going on.

‘Worried about you! Is everything okay?😰’

‘I’m sorry if I was annoying! I know it’s probably not that but I’m going to apologise anyway!’

‘Sydney! I just saw you leave with Moxie Rivers? Is this about Dani??’

‘Just btw! Tuesday is good for me 🙂 meet up at the costa round the corner from the museum?’

I fire back a few responses and turn back from the passenger seat to face Moxie.

“Let me get this straight, you and Alexandra were eavesdropping on Dani and you heard him talk to Mars about how he would do anything to get back with me and you got worried because Dani seemed worried? Hassle hassle hassle we get out the museum and into the car on the way to yours and Camden’s apartment where I can stay on the sofa for the night?” Camden and I look to each other, nod and he says “pretty much the idea although I didn’t know about the Dani and Mars part until just now.” Camden says, his eyes glued to the road

“Yup. You can borrow some stuff from me.” I tell her overlapping my words with Camden.


Nothing may have happened, I could have overreacted but when someone who you know probably couldn’t protect herself what else are you meant to do?

May 14, 2024 12:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.