0 comments

Romance

Valerie ray carter stared blankly at the cream painted walls, restless. Her loving husband had left for work and her mother had taken off to africa a month prior with little to no notice. With two days left to Christmas, she had yet to get anything for her husband. Reed, who had excitedly told her on several occasions that his gift would make her fall in love with him all over again.

She had asked for advice from her sister but she was just as hopeless as her when it came to picking out gifts. Her lips curled into a smile as she saw the man himself make his way in, take out in hand as he pecked her lips. Tanned skin glistening in the sunlight, short black hair looking like it had been tugged at numerous times, steel grey eyes piercing her black ones.

"Where's your head at?"he asked studying her

"No where and everywhere all at once"hugging his back as he dished out the food

"I don't like you worrying your pretty little head"

As they sat down eating in comfortable silence, clearing everything up once they were done and putting on a movie.

"You think too much v"he said making her pout up at him

"How was work"she asked, head tilted towards him

"Boring and I missed you, I don't even know how I survived" he said sighing dramatically

"Well...since you've gotten you've gotten your holiday, we can spend the whole day together tomorrow"

"I don't want to be stuck with you for that long" he groaned exaggeratedly

"Too bad little man"patting his head she replied and when she turned back to look at him, he was already asleep with his head lolled to the side. Covering his body with a blanket, she pulled him into a comfortable position.

Making her way up the stairs and into their room, she picked up a box at the top of her closet, they were filled with her wedding pictures. People thought they were a perfect couple but they knew that they were far from it. Even after marrying to one and a half years, they knew their marriage really started during the half. She glanced at her forgotten piano and she bit her lips excitedly as a plan formed in her head. She climbef down already excited for the next day as the cuddled.

Sunlight beamed against her eyelids and she found herself in bed.

"Breakfast in bed" a masculine voice sing songed as he sat next to her. In that moment she thought about how none of them had expected to come this far.

"I love you so much"she said but quickly covered her mouth, realizing she hadn't brushed her teeth.

"I love you too"

Getting up, she made her way toward the bathroom to brush and later after they had finished eating, they decided to go to the mall.

First they picked out a tree, he turned to her and said "one day we'll be here with our children" he had no idea how soon that might be. Once they were done, they went their separate ways, not wanting each other to see what the had chosen for the family.

She picked out carefully thought out gifts for all and at a point she'd gotten carried away. Hurriedly paying she made her way to the parking lot and found him there with his back turned to her. She hugged him making him laugh and turn towards her

"You can't honestly think I didn't know you were coming"he said making her smack him

After that, they spent the rest of the day decorating and at times when her short self couldn't reach somewhere, she'd call for him amd climb him like a ladder. Once they were through, she hurriedly picked up the keys and before he could get a word out, she was out. He slept and about two hours left she joined him.

Finally, the day came they attended a little church service and when they got back, she began to cook while he baked. The house filled with family members. They sang Christmas songs, told stories, shared their embarrassing moments and finally got to opening presents.

The day was filled with jest, happiness and even his uptight mother had laughed happily collect the playlist of classic music Valeria made for her. Vanessa eyed the stiletto's her sister had gotten her along with the v and v bracelet. Valeria and Reed glanced at each other and like an unspoken agreement they decided to wait for the family to leave before giving each other their gifts.

Night came and they all began to leave one after the other. Vanessa glanced at her sister and knew without doubt that she had no reason to worry about her anymore. After their family members had left, silence descended upon the both of them, a comfortable silence.

"You go first"they burst said at the same time and then burst out laughing

"I'll be the man and go first"he said pulling out a piece of paper from his back pocket.

His voice carried on smoothly ....The first day I met you, I hated you mainly because I liked you. You got under my skin like no other. From the start, it was all fake and I'll continue to hate myself for that. On the 10th of June, 2017, you told me to get my shit together or get out of your life and I was so shocked that I wanted to continue being in your life and shocked doesn't even cover the fact that I was able to voice that out.

I have made so many mistakes including the one day that a woman should cherish and remember which I had ruined for you and although I saw the pain in your eyes, I refused to acknowledge it. I took away the happiness that you got from singing. I took advantage of your love, trust and kindness, you wormed your way into my heart without me even knowing it. I want us to start all over again, he said as he knelt before her, a ring in hand. I want to give you happy memories that you would look back on and smile at. I want you to cry because you are so happy and not because your wedding day was a disaster.

"Do me a favor and marry me Valeria"he said but before she could even reply, he ran to the back of the couch and back with a puppy in hand, making her laugh.

"You remembered"she said, her voice cracking.

"I could never forget"he said and she cried this time because she was happy

"Yes, yes and yes again"he hugged her close

"My turn"she said as she tried to clear her voice clean her face of her tears

She handed him a box and he opened it, pulling out a baby's shoe.

"I... we.."he mumbled trying to form a coherent sentence and she nodded already knowing what he was about to say. His eyes filled up with unshed tears as he hugged her to himself, scared that he was dreaming.

"I still have a little something for you"she said smiling

"You've given me too already"he said but she only shhed him

She handed him a neatly folded sweatshirt with feminine power printed on it.

"I think there's been a mistake"he said glaring at her but she refused to acknowledge his glare

"I'm still not done"she said as she uncovered the piano she had inconspicuously moved to the sitting room while he was baking, courtesy of their parents.

"When did that get here?"he asked

"While you were baking"she replied taking a sit before the piano making his heart pump loudly in his chest and he wondered if she could hear it.

- A thousand years by Christiana perri-

Heart beats fast

Colurs and promises

How to be brave?

How can I love when I'm afraid to fall

But watching you stand alone

All of my doubts

Suddenly goes away somehow

One step closer

As she sang and stared at him, sjr knew in her heart that waiting for him had been the best decision she had ever made

I have died everyday waiting for you

Darling, don't be afraid

I have loved you a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more

And they were anxious for the upcoming years. After a perfect Christmas, I wish I could say their journey was perfect but no, there were bumps and obstacles.

But in their imperfections lies their perfection.

December 13, 2019 12:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.