0 comments

Romance Drama Fiction

It was the thought that counted, or so they say. But to Emma, it didn't feel like it. Her boyfriend, Jack, had forgotten their anniversary. It wasn't the first time he had forgotten an important date, but it still stung.

Emma had spent weeks planning the perfect surprise for Jack. She had reserved a table at his favorite restaurant, bought him tickets to his favorite band's concert, and even made him a personalized scrapbook filled with their memories together. And all Jack had to do was remember the date.

Emma tried to brush it off and pretend like it didn't bother her, but it was eating away at her. She had put so much thought and effort into their anniversary, and Jack couldn't even remember the date.

The next day, Jack came over to Emma's apartment with a bouquet of flowers and a sheepish look on his face. "I'm so sorry, Em. I don't know how I could have forgotten our anniversary. I feel terrible."

Emma didn't know what to say. She was still hurt and angry, but she didn't want to make a scene. "It's fine, Jack. It's the thought that counts, right?"

But deep down, Emma knew that it wasn't fine. She couldn't shake off the feeling that Jack didn't care enough about their relationship to remember their anniversary.

Over the next few weeks, Emma tried to move past the incident, but she couldn't. She started to notice other ways in which Jack didn't seem invested in their relationship. He would cancel plans at the last minute, forget important dates, and never seemed to listen when Emma talked about her day.

One day, Emma decided she had had enough. She called Jack and asked him to meet her at a park near her apartment. When he arrived, Emma took a deep breath and said, "Jack, we need to talk."

Jack looked nervous. "Is everything okay?"

"No, Jack, everything is not okay. I feel like you're not really invested in our relationship. You forget important dates, cancel plans, and never seem to listen to me. I don't know if you even care about me anymore."

Jack looked surprised. "Emma, of course I care about you. I just have a lot going on right now with work and everything. I didn't mean to forget our anniversary, and I'm sorry if I've been neglecting our relationship."

Emma sighed. She had heard this excuse before. "Jack, I'm tired of hearing that you have a lot going on. I have a lot going on too, but I still make time for you. If you can't do the same, then maybe we need to rethink our relationship."

Jack looked like he was about to say something, but then he just nodded. "You're right, Emma. I need to do better. I don't want to lose you."

Emma felt a surge of relief. Maybe there was hope for their relationship after all. "Okay, Jack. I want to believe you. But you need to show me that you're committed to making this work. Actions speak louder than words."

Jack nodded again. "I understand. I'll do whatever it takes to make things right."

Over the next few weeks, Jack started to show Emma that he was serious about their relationship. He made an effort to remember important dates, he listened when Emma talked, and he started making plans in advance so that he wouldn't have to cancel at the last minute.

Emma was pleasantly surprised. She had almost given up hope that Jack would ever change, but he had proved her wrong. And even though it had taken him a while to get there, she knew that it was the thought that counted.

As time passed, Emma and Jack's relationship continued to improve. They started going on more dates and spending more quality time together. Emma felt like Jack was really making an effort, and she started to trust him again.

One day, Jack surprised Emma with a weekend getaway to a cabin in the mountains. Emma was thrilled. She had always wanted to go on a trip like this, and she was excited to spend some alone time with Jack.

As they drove up to the cabin, Emma felt a sense of peace wash over her. The scenery was beautiful, and the air was crisp and clean. When they arrived at the cabin, Jack took her by the hand and led her inside.

The cabin was cozy and rustic, with a wood-burning stove and a loft bedroom. Jack had even stocked the fridge with Emma's favorite snacks and drinks. Emma felt touched by the gesture.

Over the next few days, Emma and Jack went hiking, cooked meals together, and cuddled by the fire. Emma felt more connected to Jack than she had in a long time, and she started to believe that they really could make things work.

On the last night of their trip, Jack asked Emma to take a walk with him. As they strolled through the woods, Jack reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box.

Emma's heart skipped a beat. Was he going to propose? She had always dreamed of marrying Jack, but she didn't want him to propose just because he felt guilty about forgetting their anniversary.

But when Jack opened the box, it wasn't a ring inside. It was a necklace with a small diamond pendant.

"Emma, I know that I've messed up a lot in the past. I've taken you for granted, and I've hurt you more than once. But I want you to know that I'm committed to making things right. This necklace isn't much, but it's a symbol of my love for you. I hope you'll wear it and remember that I'm always here for you."

Tears welled up in Emma's eyes. She felt overwhelmed with emotion. "Jack, I love you too. And I appreciate this so much. But I don't need gifts to know that you love me. I just need you to be present and to show me that you care. That's all that matters to me."

Jack nodded, his eyes shining with sincerity. "I know, Emma. And I promise that I'll keep trying to be the best partner I can be. I'll never take you for granted again."

Emma smiled and leaned in for a kiss. As they stood there in the moonlight, Emma knew that it really was the thought that counted. Jack may not have given her the grand gesture she had hoped for, but he had given her something much more valuable: his commitment to their relationship.

As Emma wiped away her tears, she looked up at Jack and saw the sincerity in his eyes. She knew that he meant every word he had said, and she felt a renewed sense of hope for their future together.

"Thank you, Jack," she said, her voice choked with emotion. "I love it."

Jack smiled and took the necklace out of the box. He fastened it around Emma's neck, his fingers lingering on her skin. "I love you, Emma. And I promise to always be here for you, no matter what."

Emma wrapped her arms around Jack's neck and pulled him close. She felt his strong arms wrap around her waist, and she knew that everything was going to be okay.

As they walked back to the cabin, Emma felt the weight of the past few months lifting off her shoulders. She knew that their relationship wasn't perfect, but she also knew that they were both willing to work on it.

When they got back to the cabin, they settled onto the couch in front of the fire. Emma leaned her head on Jack's shoulder, feeling content and at peace.

"Jack," she said softly. "Do you remember the first time we met?"

Jack chuckled. "Of course I do. How could I forget?"

Emma smiled, remembering the day they had met at a coffee shop. She had spilled her coffee all over him, and they had ended up talking for hours. It had been the start of their beautiful relationship.

"I was so nervous that day," Emma said. "I never thought we would end up here."

Jack kissed the top of her head. "Me neither. But I'm glad we did."

They sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, just enjoying each other's company. Emma felt grateful for this moment, for this time together.

"Hey, Emma?" Jack said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"I know it's still a little early, but I was thinking... maybe we could start planning a trip for our next anniversary. Something special, just for us."

Emma smiled, feeling her heart fill with warmth. Jack had come a long way since forgetting their last anniversary, and she was touched by his thoughtfulness.

"I would love that," she said.

As the fire crackled and the snow fell outside, Emma felt a deep sense of contentment. She knew that their relationship wasn't perfect, but she also knew that they were both willing to put in the work to make it better. And that was all that mattered.

They had come a long way since that fateful anniversary, and Emma knew that their love was stronger for it. She felt grateful for Jack, for his love and commitment, and for the journey they were on together.

As the night wore on and they drifted off to sleep in each other's arms, Emma knew that she had made the right choice in giving Jack a second chance. And she knew that they would make it work, no matter what the future held.

April 13, 2023 12:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.