0 comments

Thriller

"I'm very sorry, ma'am. Mr. McKrosky passed away."

Luna frowned, putting on a mask of sorrow for the man who stood before her. Sadness was an emotion she had learned to perform exceptionally well, crafting every possible expression until even the most ruthless would fall to their knees in pity.

"They still haven't caught the killer, have they?" she replied quietly, trying her best to contain her triumph. She knew who killed Mr. McKrosky. His corpse was below her feet, buried in the grave she had made for him. "It's a shame, really. He was the kindest neighbor on this street."

"So I've heard." he nodded, giving a sympathetic smile. "One of the neighbors told me it's been ten years to this day."

"Oh, yes, you're the new neighbor, aren't you?" she smiled a little, outstretching her arm for a handshake "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Luna Darell."

"John Taylor," he returned her smile and handshake "and the pleasure is mine."

"Well John, you seem like a fine young man. I'm sure Mr. McKrosky would be pleased to know that you're the new occupant of his home." She pushed some stray hair out of her face and gave him an accepting nod, eyeing him up and down to get a good idea of how she'd kill him. "Have a great night"

"To you as well, Ms. Darell. It's very relieving to know there are such welcoming neighbors like yourself."

She smirked and walked down the narrow sidewalk, lifting her hand as a goodbye.

"Poisoning," she muttered, giving herself a small nod of approval. She had everything planned out. No one would stop her.

After all, who'd deny candy on Halloween?

October 30, 2019 16:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.