Metallic Duo

Submitted into Contest #160 in response to: Set your story during a drought.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Teens & Young Adult Friendship

Peering out my window, the orange gleam of the sun made the trees look golden. I see a bush move out of the corner of my eye, turning my head sharply, a sleek black cat comes out. “I should get her some water.” I thought to myself. Turning around, climbing out of my bed. Walking out of my room and down the stairs, walking over to the kitchen sink. I grabbed a ceramic pet bowl that sat next to the sink and filled it. Grabbing it, carefully scooting my way out the front door. Reaching the end of the brown plank porch, setting the bowl down gently. 

“Here kitty, I brought you some water.” Stepping down from the porch, my steps caused dust to kick up and as I walked the dry grass crunched underfoot. To the right of me, stood a medium oak tree and then to the left of the tree was a row of small bushes. The black cat came out of the bushes carefully. Kneeling down, I reached my hand out for the kitty to smell. The creature took a few steps towards me, sniffing my hand and then rubbing her head against it. Her fur felt soft against my hand, the cat came back for more pets and I scratched her head. She began to purr and I smiled. Noticing a tag on her red collar, carefully grasping it in my hand, reading it. It read; “S.U.E.” 

“Sue?” All of a sudden, the cat’s eyes opened up and a projection appeared on a nearby wall and a voice came from Sue’s mouth without it opening. A diagram of a cat appeared on the screen with the letters “S.U.E.” appearing above it.

“S.U.E. A robotic cat created for spying, stands for Surveillance, Undercover and Explore. The innocent look of a household cat hides her actual purpose, to gather intel on our enemies. Her small size helps with her fitting through small spaces and to be less noticeable. Her only weapons are her metal claws & teeth. But if compromised, S.U.E. will self-destruct.” When the female voice finished, the projection switched off. The cat’s eyes returned to their normal yellow color and her mouth closed. 

“Interesting. So you're a spy cat?” Sue just meowed a response and began snuggling against me.

“Well since I know your name, I’ll introduce myself. Hello, I’m Lindsey and I’m 14 years old.” Looking up at the sky, it is clear, not a cloud insight, just perfect blue skies.

“Gosh, when is it going to rain? It hasn’t for months. Damn drought.” I pause briefly, looking down at the cat. “Alright c’mon robo kitty, let’s go inside.” Turning 360 degrees, stepping back up onto the porch and walking to the front door. Opening it, waiting for Sue to follow. She does and goes in the house, following her then going around her and up the stairs to my room. Arriving, I close the door behind us and sit on the bed. Sue sits in front of me and her eyes open up again, then a red beam from her eyes scans me from my forehead to my toes. Her mouth opens again and the female voice emits: “Robot. Robot. Robot detected.”

“Robot? I’m no robot.” The cat then puts a projection against my bedroom wall and the female voice begins to speak again. “Robo babies were created to replace the miscarriages and stillborns of women.” The voice starts and the screen shows a fetus inside a woman’s stomach. “A surgeon removes the brain from the fetus and puts it in a robot baby’s body.” The projection now shows a robot baby that has sleek metal covering it. “The scientists then grew artificial skin and engineers created the body, organs and a body that would grow with age. The hair is from donations or lab-grown.” As the lady explains this, the projection shows the robot baby getting its skin then growing its hair and finally it growing up into a child. The projection then clicks off, Sue’s mouth closes and her eyes return to normal. 

“Wow, I am a robot. Robo baby. If they made such a realistic cat like you, robot babies seem possible.” Turning over, grabbing my laptop, opening it. Pressing the button, it turns on and I put my pin in. Clicking on a web browser, typing “Robo baby.” I click on the first article that comes up. The title reads: “Robo Babies Made to make Rainbow Babies Live Again.” Scrolling down, reading the contents. In summary it says that Robo Baby was created by a genius scientist whose wife kept losing babies in the womb. After a decade of trying, the first Robo Baby is 18 years old today. Shutting the lid quickly, pushing the laptop aside. 

“So I really am a robot. Why didn’t my mom tell me??” Getting out of bed, heading towards my mom’s bedroom. Dramatically swinging the door open, I shout. “Why didn’t you tell me I am a robot, mom!?!?!?!?” 

“I- You're not a robot, silly.” My mom stutters. 

“Liar. I know, mom! I know! I want the truth, not more lies!” 

“What are you talking about?” 

“I know I’m a robo baby. No need to lie mom.”

“Honey, stop reading those dumb conspiracy theory websites, go to bed.”

“What websites? You know what, I’ll talk to you in the morning!” I say, stomping out of the room and slamming her door behind me. Reaching my room again, shutting my door.

“Sue, can you spy on my mom please?” The cat meows and I open the door a sliver for Sue to get through, the cat leaves and I collapse on my bed. After 30 minutes of me just staring up at the ceiling thinking about being a robot, Sue returns. I get up and shut my door. 

“So, what did you hear?” 

Sue’s mouth opens and the dialogue of my mom and a man starts.

“Hi Mr. Clark. Lindsay knows she’s a robo baby! What should I do?”

“Calm down. Are you sure she knows?”

“Yes. She said the name robo baby and everything. She wouldn’t drop it!”

“Alright. Do you still want her?”

“Yes but can you remove this from her memory? I want my normal child back!” My mom cries hysterically.

“Yes. I will send workers to get her tomorrow. Give her one of those pills for the checkups to make her sleep.”

“Alright.” My mom sniffles. “Thank you Mr. Clark.” I hear the phone click.

The cat’s mouth closes.

“We gotta get out of here! Just because we are robots, doesn’t mean we got to listen to our creators. I don’t want to forget I’m a robot and to forget about you. We gotta pack up and go.”

To be continued…. 

(Note: I ran out of time and do hope to make this longer.)

August 27, 2022 01:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.