"Ships That Pass" by Ang E.

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Christian

In May of 1978, I graduated from high school in Honolulu Hawaii. My summer plans after graduation were up in the air. My parents wanted me to go to community college right away, but my brain was tired. So, I got a job as a receptionist at the most prestigious hair salon in Honolulu, Marceau Julien’s Hair Salon. I loved taking appointments over the phone for the hairstylists, facialist, massage therapist, and nail technicians. Marceau and his wife, Sherry were the kindest, most generous bosses I could ever wish for. I was able to save money towards college working full-time through the end of the year. My plan was set to start community college in January 1979.

At the beginning of the new year, I started community college to study fashion design. I worked part-time at the hair salon, attended community college classes during the week, went to Youth Choir rehearsals on Saturdays, and attended church services on Sundays. Sherry Julien opened a modeling school in the same building as her husband’s hair salon, and I was able to attend for free. There were occasional opportunities for me to model in fashion shows around the islands.

Just as my personal life was changing, my church was going through changes as well. Hope Missionary Baptist Church was mostly made up of Black American military service members, their families, as well as local families in the community. The church was within walking distance for me since I lived in the military housing just outside the Pearl Harbor Naval Base, and across the highway from Hickam Air Force Base. Prior to moving to the new small campus, the church used to lease vacant lots around the islands and set up tents and folding chairs for services. The Sunday services were always held at 11:00 am, and lasted approximately three hours. With the tropical heat in Hawaii being intense, the ushers would pass out hand fans to parishioners. The fans had various pictures of famous people or lyrics to hymns and the handle was akin to a wooden popsicle stick. The new campus had a chapel, several classrooms, offices, and a parsonage for the senior pastor to live in, but no air conditioning.

The church had seen its fair share of senior pastor turnovers over the years. Pastor Riley was a beloved interim pastor, and for four years he ministered to the sick, dedicated babies, baptized people, married people, and preached the gospel. Pastor Riley was offered the position of being the permanent senior pastor, but he had to decline. One of the requirements for being the permanent senior pastor was to join an organization called the Southern Baptist Association. Since Pastor Riley was also a full-time Army chaplain, this requirement was a conflict of interest for him. He agreed to stay on until the church found a suitable replacement candidate.

The Hope Missionary Baptist Church board members paraded a number of potential pastoral candidates to preach trial sermons in front of the congregation. Ultimately, the church voted to install a broad smiling, flashy preacher from California, named Reverend Jay Lester. His wife, Rita Lester was beautiful and had a melodic alto singing voice. She also had a string of professional singing credits on her resume from California. The newly selected pastor and his wife were going to be installed as the new first family and move into the parsonage by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, one of the younger associate ministers, Reverend Trent Bell who oversaw the youth ministry informed the youth choir that he too would be reassigned. He was a thirty year old, single, handsome man who was sought after by many of the single ladies in the church. One lady in particular, DeeDee Turner, made it her mission to snag this young preacher. DeeDee was a thirty-five year old curvy woman with an eight year old daughter. DeeDee’s plan worked swiftly. Within six months of dating the young Reverend, they were engaged. Time was of the essence as Reverend Bell would be leaving for his reassignment by the end of the year. Reverend Bell and DeeDee also wanted to have Pastor Riley officiate their wedding before the new pastor took over.

DeeDee approached me after church one Sunday in June, 1979. “Kala, have you heard that I'm engaged to Reverend Bell?”

“Yes, DeeDee, congratulations!”

She then asked me, “Would you please be one of my bridesmaids?”

As I thought about her request, I thought about how busy my life was.

“ DeeDee, I would be honored to be one of your bridesmaids,” I answered.

“Great! I will give you all of the details Saturday afternoon after choir rehearsal,” she said.

Hope Missionary Baptist Church had three choirs that sang in rotation throughout any given month. There was the Senior Adult choir, the Youth choir, and the Children's choir. Sometimes the Senior Adult choir would be combined with the Youth choir to expand the voice collective. Choir rehearsals were serious, intense lessons on learning to take direction and hold the correct notes. Our choir director was Reverend Robert Walker, but everyone just called him “Walker.” Walker had a flamboyant flair for dramatically raising his muscular arms in the air to extract the musical best out of everyone. Then with one loud clap of his hands, we would be off to the chorus like a racehorse taking off in a race. There was also a gifted organ and piano player named Craig Hill. He played that organ in a way that spoke to the soul of people. Every service, people would jump up, dance, and shout to the rhythm of that organ.

As promised, DeeDee provided her matron of honor, and her four bridesmaids with written instructions for her wedding. The date was set for Saturday, September 23rd, 1979 at 2:30 pm. We were instructed to meet at a fabric shop within the next week so the seamstress could take our measurements.  Deedee provided a swatch of the fabric for our dresses and the pattern. The fabric was a soft pink, silk damask with delicate white shimmery cherry blossoms overlayed. The dresses were going to replicate a Chinese long silk dress with two white frog clasps at the fitted collar and slits on both sides up to our knees. Podeswa slingback, kitten heeled shoes were going to be dyed to match.

The young men that would act as groomsmen to escort us down the aisle were also on the list. They were not at this meeting, but they were required to get fitted for black suits. My friend, Bobby Mitchell was the only name I recognized on the list. Bobby was like a brother to me. We always had fun joking around and laughing. 

The months flew by with so much to do. I missed the wedding rehearsal due to work, but DeeDee called me to give instructions on where to stand. The night before the wedding I was in a fashion show and did not eat any dinner. The next morning there was no time for breakfast.  I had to quickly grab my dress, my shoes, my makeup and head over to the church. Upon arrival at the church I found the room where the other bridesmaids were getting dressed and I quickly put on my makeup, did my hair, put on my dress and shoes. The dresses turned out perfectly with the seamstress’ accurate measurements. It was time now to meet the groomsmen and get ready to line up outside the doors of the church. Bobby Mitchell and I lined up first with the other bridesmaids and groomsmen right behind us. Then came the matron of honor, followed by the ring bearer, the flower girl, and the bride. DeeDee was being escorted by her brother, since she lost her father a couple years earlier. DeeDee looked beautiful in her lacey bridal gown which was full length and accentuated her curves.

As we walked in through the doors of the church we passed down the middle aisle between ten sets of long pews, one on either side of the church. As we approached the front of the church we split off from one another. Bridesmaids to the left, groomsmen to the right. Waiting at the front were Pastor Riley, Reverend Trent Bell and his best man. 

As the ceremony began, I began to feel rather lightheaded and before I knew it I actually slumped to the floor and passed out.  I had fainted, and when I came to a few moments later I saw one of the church fans being vigorously flapped in my face. Even with the doors and windows of the church open, it was still hot. So, all I received was hot air vigorously fanning in my face.The next thing I saw was the face of one of the groomsmen I had never met. He was holding my head up and trying to tell me that everything was going to be alright. I could hear Pastor Riley continuing with the wedding ceremony and he was not phased by the commotion of me fainting.  A couple of the bridesmaids whispered that I should be escorted out, but I reassured them that I was able to continue. The groomsman stranger helped me up and I got back in line with the other bridesmaids. Once the ceremony was completed, Pastor Riley said,  “I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss your bride.” 

We all followed the bride and groom out of the church. Bobby whispered over to me, “Kala, I was afraid I was going to have to walk down this aisle all by myself when you fainted.” We laughed about it when we got outside the church. Several people asked,  “Kala, are you okay?” 

After informing everyone that I had not eaten anything and church was hot, Bobby quickly drove me to the reception so I could get a proper meal. 

Once we arrived at the reception, I  apologized to DeeDee and her new husband. They were more concerned about my welfare and encouraged me to get something to eat. As I stood in the buffet line, the groomsman that held my head at church approached me.

He said, “I don't think we've been properly introduced. My name is Richie Richardson. I like the way you faint.” 

 “Hi, my name is Kala Sorrell. Thank you for lifting my head and trying to fan me.”

 He said, “You just dropped to the floor very quietly, no drama.” 

It was at that moment that I had a chance to get a good look at Richie. He was a tall, handsome man who looked like he just ran a touchdown at a football game. His muscular arms were bulging from his suit jacket. As we talked during the rest of the reception, I discovered he was in the Navy. Even though he was escorting another bridesmaid, he never went back to sit at the table with her. He stayed with me the whole time and by the end of the evening we exchanged phone numbers. We never dated because soon after that day Richie was shipped off for six months, and then his ship changed home ports to Virginia. 

Over the years, I completed my degree in fashion design, worked for a local design house, and eventually married someone else. I still attended Hope Missionary Baptist Church where I direct the Children's choir. Richie rose up the ranks in his Naval career, and married someone else. However, every year on September 23rd, we call each other as friends just to check in and see how life is treating us. In life, lovers may come and go, but friendship endures the test of time.

August 23, 2024 14:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.