The Show must go on!

Submitted into Contest #25 in response to: Write a short story about someone writing Valentine's Day wishes.... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday


Except the digit, nothing changes in a new year; still we make new year resolutions all determined to change something in our life for better. For Virat, his life was about to change, as he would be out from the prison on first January that year. 10 years of imprisonment had changed him completely, and that year resolution meant a lot to him

He never meant to attempt the crime for which he faced imprisonment, but still he couldn’t help but to face the trial.

He loved Anu by all his heart and he was under impression that it was mutual. However, as their relationship advanced; Anu started to feel uncomfortable with Virat as he got irritated on any pity thing and he used to get angry so easily and frequently. He expected everyone and everything to be perfect for him. For example, if they were stuck in traffic, he used to abuse the other people on the road, who were not driving properly in their lane.

Once, Virat and Anu were headed for a dinner by his car. At an exit from a highway, it was packed jam, as people were taking exit from extreme right and it was complete mess. One car overtook them from the right almost taking away Virat’s car side mirror. Virat got down from the car and asked that man to pull the window down, and when he did, Virat punched him in face. Anu was shocked for what he did, that man also came out and he also hit Virat and it was a real bad scene on the road. Other people gathered around and tried to pull them apart.

Anu shouted from inside the car for Virat to come back. He came back all bleeding from his nose and side of his jaw.

Anu said “You need to learn to control your temper.”

He said, “why don’t you see his fault, it was a mess out there because of those people only.”

“You think fighting with them is a solution. You should take a job for traffic police, if you want no mess there. what difference it would have made if we reached little late in the restaurant. Now let’s enjoy dinner in hospital.”

His parents were also frustrated because of his bad temperament. He had frequent fights with his younger brother for many trivial things. He wanted his interest of channel to play, to play his favourite game first, when he feels sleepy, lights should go off. They even consulted the doctor when he was 10 years of age and the signs of his temper could not be ignored anymore.

Doctor could not help much except some exercises and medicines, but it did not benefit him.

It was love at first sight in a movie theatre, they both came to watch a movie alone, got tickets of adjacent seats and enjoyed the movie. That movie worked as a spark for igniting the friendship between them. They shared popcorn and drank coffee together after the movie. After that, lots of movie theatres saw them together.

Virat was for sure in love with Anu but Anu was not sure about her feelings; She liked his company especially during movies, but as she started to know about his bad temper, she was not convinced to spend her life with him.

Many times she tried to explain it to Virat that it is not more than friendship, but he always ignored and assumed that with time she will start loving him.

Anu’s parents got a marriage proposal for Anu very difficult to say No. Anu thought of telling her parents about Virat but she herself was not sure for him, whenever she saw him angry, she so much hated him. How would she be able to convince her parents?

She complied her parents wish to meet Arjun, then her worst fear came true.

Virat was furious to know about Arjun and went to Arjun’s home to tell him about their friendship. Anu was furious; how could he do that without even discussing anything with her?

She liked Arjun, as he had well established family business and he was handsome, nice and especially well tempered person. She chose Arjun over Virat, but Virat was not able to accept that. He started sending his pics with Anu to Arjun, which further convinced Anu that she was making the right choice. Arjun understood Anu too well and did not believe in any of Virat’s claims.

Anu and Arjun went for a Dinner for new year celebration. Virat came over there and started abusing them. Anu slapped him hard and in turn he hit Arjun with the plate kept at the table. Arjun also hit back and it got worse, before anyone could respond, Virat hit Arjun’s head with beer glass bottles many times. Restaurant owner called Police; Virat was arrested. Arjun and Anu parents’ lawyer made sure that he got 10 years imprisonment as an attempt to murder case.

While Virat was behind the bar trying to control his anger, Anu got married to Arjun.

A pen and a note book accompanied him inside the prison, and he started noting down his feelings and thoughts. That life changed him completely and he wanted to help people like him who have no control over their mind. He felt that among so much stress and frustrations in the world, motivation and inspiration plays a key role.

He started giving motivational speeches to other prisoners and everyone liked and got inspiration from him. For 10 years, he only wrote articles related to motivation, so he got huge collection of written materials.

After 10 years, he made a resolution to become a famous speaker on motivation, He was very near to his resolution, only he needed to work on his presentation and public speaking skills.

Anu was watching TV listening to Virat’s interview for a news channel; he was listed in the names of famous speakers, who got success in less than a year time. At the end of his interview, on the screen it was shown his next speech time and location. She noted it down and made a mental note to go and watch him speaking.

It was the first day of next year, he was getting ready for his biggest event. He contemplated his resolution of last year and felt proud for he had achieved his resolution.

He was half way in his speech, when he saw Anu sitting there listening him, for a while he forgot his lines and words did not come out of his mouth. Everyone was staring at him; a man came running towards Virat with water and he asked “Is everything OK?” swiping hands before him.

Virat came back to present moment and continued his further speech. When it was over, he tried to go towards Anu but could not as he was surrounded by many people for autographs and selfies.

He remembered how pale she was looking, she had big black circles under her eyes, which were visible to him even under makeup, he did not know the words but something was missing from her face, which he was sure was there before 10 years.

It was not difficult to find her contact number, he called her.

Anu recognized his voice immediately and said” You are a wonderful speaker; I did not know it earlier.”

“Thanks for the compliment. Can we meet?”

“Why?”

“Only to discuss about the last ten years.”

After a hesitation, she replied for a yes.

When she reached at the location shared by Virat, she saw him waiting there.

After an uncomfortable pause, to make it easy, she asked “How are you?”

He said “I am happy that I achieved what I so desperately wanted from a long time. Those years in prison opened my eyes for a different vision of life. I am no more a person with no control over his actions and mind. I am helping more people like me, who are still struggling to face life’s tricky and tough situations. I am satisfied that I have achieved so much in one year. What about you, you look very different and forgive me for that, spark from your eyes is missing. How is your married life?”

“Well, you may be right about the spark, because my life is not same like it used to be earlier. Now I have a family of two kids and a husband to take care of.” She paused.

“Hmm, I can understand. How is Arjun?”

“His business is at its peak and most of the time he is on his feet.”

Finally, he asked, for which he wanted to meet Anu. “Are you happy?” He looked straight in her eyes, so he could find out the truth in her answer.

She looked down; “I don’t know. After marriage, for some time it was very nice. Arjun is a good man and he knows how to make me happy and he did exactly the same. But after some time, things started getting changed, as he was busy every time. I also thought of supporting him in his business but it was not my forte and soon I gave up as I got busy with kids and other family responsibilities.”

As if he got his answer, he wished he could do something to make her happy. “Don’t depend on Arjun for your own happiness”, is all what came to his mind and he uttered. “I mean, you take responsibility of your happiness. I learned in those years in prison, that everyone has to live his journey on his own.”

She understood what he meant to say, and she was happy to see Virat so changed for good only. There was a calmness on his face and he was glowing with contentment for his life’s achievement. “I am happy for your success in life. Any plan for getting married?” She said to change the topic.

“Yes, I am getting married next month with Renuka; my parents found her on shadi.com. I also admire her and I am sure we will be a happy family.”

“Wish you good luck. I know you will be a best husband.”

“Yes, I will try, but promise me, you will take command of your happiness in your hand.”

She moved her head in affirmation and said with bright eyes, “I promise, I will try my best.”

After other discussion about Renuka and Anu’s kids they bid Adieu each other, knowing very well that it would be their last meeting.

Anu follows all Virat’s motivational video on his very famous Youtube channel in her actual life and she is happy for him and for her own life.

Virat is revising notes for his next show on his favourite topic Anger, wishing he could go back before eleven years and start life again from there. With a guilt and a pain in his heart he says aloud “The Show must go on” and starts moving towards the hall with full energy and a broad smile.







January 23, 2020 04:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.