1 comment

Romance Contemporary Fiction

She had just received the award and was about to take her seat when the noise began. Someone or something had decided that it was too much attention for her. It never stopped. They had chosen her as the best editor at Mr Jones’ publishing house and boy was she excited. She had been waiting and dreaming of that day. What she didn’t expect to hear was the irritating, all too familiar sound that rang throughout the hall. Before she could collect her thoughts, her red velvet dressed turned into her red Christmas pyjamas and the trophy, her pillow. You have got to be kidding me; she thought to herself as she fell off the bed, trying to snooze her alarm. She was late. Again. She had just earned herself a third streak at being Mr Jones’ favourite employee. Who wouldn’t? She was always on time and submitted her work way before the deadline and her outfits never clashed. She was sure by then that many publishing houses were looking for a part of Miss Tracy to work for them. She went with her navy blue office pants and a white top with her favourite blazer and low black shoes. She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked great. She thought she had developed a new skill. She couldn’t remember the last time she sat down to a good meal for breakfast. When she was younger, it was a whole occasion and her mother would prepare a variety of dishes. Ha! she thought to herself, how things change. She always told Tracy that one should always eat breakfast as a queen would. Heavy and delicious. She took her handbag from the floor and her bottle from the kitchen counter. The bottle emptied its contents and she let out a frustrated groan. This day couldn’t get any better, she thought to herself.

It was quite convenient that her workplace was a stone's throw from her house cause she always thought that a car was a luxury she didn’t need. She loved walking. She thought of it as a free gym membership with no trainers or restrictions. She loved nature. Couldn’t get enough of it. She was in a rush. She was busy thinking of the excuse she’d give when she bumped into a figure right in front of her. What was his problem? She thought to herself. He must have seen her walking. “I’m sorry,” she silently muttered. Her mom raised her well. She knew her please and thank you’s and excuse me when need be. She made a mental note to call her later on, to thank her. “Don’t be,” the figure spoke, “it’s partly my fault.” Wow, he had a deep voice. He? She looked up only to see eyes that reminded her of the ocean. His hair lay neatly. All she could think of was how his mother did an amazing joy.

“I’m Tracy,” she introduced herself while stretching her hand out, hoping that he’d take it and save her the embarrassment. He handed her the papers she hadn’t realized were missing from her bag. He was breathtaking. He looked like he belonged in the cover of a magazine, not on the busy New York streets. His jawline so defined and his skin perfectly tanned. She had to be dreaming. She didn’t want to wake up. She wanted to stay next to the talking gorgeous boy. “I have to go now. It was lovely meeting you Tracy.” He said as he turned and walked in the opposite direction. She must have been so lost in her thoughts she caught nothing he said. She stared at him as he disappeared into the crowd when it hit her she was late. She straightened her glasses and walked as fast as she could into the building. He must have noticed that she wasn’t at her desk with his coffee. His coffee. She had completely forgotten about his Mocha and breakfast scones that she always brought when she reported working. 

She quickly sat at her desk, sure that her best friend, Jake, would cover for her. She met him when they were both interns at the publishing house and they have been friends ever since. She liked how he dressed. Confident and carefree. She waved back at a smiling Jake, seated at his desk opposite hers. She was waving and smiling at Jake, who should cover for her. If he was out here with her, then who was in there with Mr Jones? She thought to herself. As if answering her thought, the door flew open and Mr Jones walked out and she pinched herself to make sure she wasn’t dreaming. It was him. He was in the same breathing space as she was. She thought it was a sure sign. She couldn’t help but smile at the thought. 

He smiled at her as he walked down the hall towards the lobby with Mr Jones right behind me. He wasn’t frowning, so she assumed she was off the hook. She had to tell Jake about her morning. She walked over to his desk and smiled when he looked up. “I see you did one thing right,” he said as he saw her outfit. She gave him a little twirl and sat on his desk. “Not too bad yourself, although I’m a bit disappointed. Did you lose the mapping of your closet today?” She scrunched her nose as he drank his coffee. She never liked it. She thought it tasted like medicine. Jake’s hair was unruly like it always was, and his green eyes were always in thought. His eyebrows were full, and he was quite tall. His teeth, perfectly shaped and so were his lips. What was wrong with her? Why did she think of that? She told Jake everything, and it shocked her when he didn’t look happy for her. He was always protective and wanted no one close enough to hurt Tracy, which she occasionally thought was adorable.

Before Jake could say anything, the elevator door opened revealing Mr Jones. Tracy ran back to her desk and pretended that she was busy writing. He knew it was an act. He shook his head and closed his office door right behind him. Jake stood up and walked towards her desk. “This isn’t a movie, Tracy. You can’t just bump into someone and suddenly you’re married with three kids. You barely know the guy.” He said with a frown. She thought that he would be happy and maybe joke around the entire issue with her. A part of her knew that he was right, but she didn’t want to believe it. She stood up and headed towards the ladies. She stopped in her tracks when she saw her mystery guy flirting with the ladies in the lobby. This can’t be happening, she thought to herself as she ran into the bathroom. She had to be overreacting. He wasn’t hers to keep, though she wished he was. She barely knew his name, yet she was busy crying in the washroom. There was more to life than relationships. She was sure of that cause she was alive and breathing at 22. She had to get a grip on herself. She washed her face and headed back to her desk and got to work.

The day ended pretty fast it was time to go home. Jake offered to walk her. She didn’t say no. They both walked in silence as they enjoyed their surrounding. “I’m sorry about earlier,” Jake said, breaking the silence, concern written on his face. “It’s okay. You were right. I should have listened to you instead of getting my hopes high.” She said, trying to keep her tears from flowing down her cheeks. “thought that maybe he was the one, and I got so caught up in that thought yet I just met the guy and I still have no idea what his name is.” She said with a chuckle. Jake stopped me in my tracks and pulled me in, placing his lips on hers. She was shocked, but she didn’t stop him. She didn’t fight him or pull away. His lips were warm and tasted like doughnuts. She knew he took the last one before they left the office. He pulled away and shied away. She liked it and she wanted more. She pulled him closer and tried her best to reach his lips. Who knew that the love she was looking for was right under her nose.


December 13, 2020 18:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jennifer Hansley
21:49 Dec 23, 2020

Hey! I was sent your story to review! I liked the ending where she had the one under her nose the whole time. I would recommend a little more editing. Here’s an example: The day ended pretty fast it was time to go home. Also, the switching perspectives can be a little confusing. Here’s an example: She said with a chuckle. Jake stopped me in my tracks and pulled me in, placing his lips on hers. She was shocked, but she didn’t stop him. I enjoyed the rush and mystery around who would be her man. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.