1 comment

Friendship

Jack and Sam have been friends ever since university and they even ended up working at the same advertising company. Sam was you typical everyday person, mostly work driven but knew how to relax and unwind when he needed to, Jack on the other hand was what you would called an adrenaline junkie. Always trying out new adventures, new challenges and what was worse jack was always trying to convince Sam of taking part. Sam was not very adventurous but still he considered himself quite active he liked going to the gym, helping out at the local 5-a-side football but some of the activities jack did sounded a little crazy but still enjoyed listening to jacks latest adventure ether at work or at the pub. It was around mid January when jack approached Sam saying that he had just enter a half marathon in the spring and wondered if he join him. Sam knew jack was a very keen runner always doing some kind of race here and there. Sam also knew he could run if he could but wasn’t sure if he could run that sort of distance. So Sam just shrugged his shoulders asking jack if he could go away and think about it. 

A few days had passed Sam was busy at work when jack suddenly appeared out of nowhere “didn’t see you there bud” jack smiled but before Sam could say anything jack ask again if he thought about joining him in this half marathon challenge. Again sam shrugged his shoulders “sorry, I haven’t” Sam replied “I thought you were kidding” smiling awkwardly jack shook his head telling Sam how running was a great way to keep fit, you get to see different parts of the world, meet and make new friends trying to convince Sam to take part in the event. Sam wasn’t sure but knowing how persistent jack was he said would really consider thinking about it. Jack not convinced by that answer left it for there saying he will talk later as he had to go for a meeting. 

Another few weeks had passed but Sam had not seen jack for a while mainly because he himself was very busy and threw himself into his work. It wasn’t till around mid February that there paths crossed again this time in the pub. Sam thought about leaving but was spotted by jack. After a brief catch up the subject of jacks half marathon challenge soon came around once more. “So, what do you think” jack asked Sam trying to change the subject “think about what?” “C’mon” jack almost cried out slapping Sam on his back “this running event, I’ll help you train, give you advice, anything your like it and who knows you might want to do more running events”. Sam seriously doubted that but it seemed jack had his heart set on them both taking part in this running event. Taking a large sip of his drink he still wasn’t convinced “ I’m not very good or fast” Sam finally replied jack laughed “trust me, it will be great and you don’t have to be fast you just have to finish and if you put in the effort you will finish”. Sam still not convinced but knew that jack would just keep on nagging at him day after day so after another drink Sam took a deep breath and finally agreed that he would take part. Jack beside himself with joy ordered another round of drinks and lifted his glass “cheers I promise you won’t regret it” Sam lifted his glass in return “ famous last word I guess” giving a little laugh before taking a big gulp of his drink before placing his glass onto the table. “So what happens now” Sam making enquires “well first we have to sign you up, then once we’ve done that we can get together and work out a training program that you can follow” jack replied Sam just listening nodding his head “as it’s Friday give me the weekend to look over a few things and we shall meet here Monday evening after work” Sam nodded again still not sure what to say or what he’s gotten into but apart of him was looking forward to this challenge and maybe it could help him explore new challenges out there. 

That weekend felt like the longest weekend of sam’s life if he was honest to himself he didn’t get much sleep still a little worried just what had he agreed to do. Sam didn’t really get much time to see jack when Monday finally arrived as both of them had been stuck in meetings most of the day once he had finished he waited a little while to see if jack was still there but apparently he had already left a little while ago. Sam gathering his things slowly left the office and made his way towards the pub wishing that jack had forgotten or this was some kind of prank but when he entered the pub saw jack sitting there with his laptop with the page of the running event he new that this was real and he couldn’t really back out. Sam started to make his way to the bar as he need a drink jack stopped him saying he already got the drinks in. Sam sat down next to jack picked up his glass and took a really big sip. “Thirsty much” jack laughed Sam just shook his head “ I guess I’m a little nervous” jack laughed again “it’s only running, it’s not like your doing a parachute jump or something” Sam could see no fault with jacks response “I will help you every step of the way” taking a sip of his drink before Sam could say anything more “I give you my word if you do this and you absolutely hate it I will never ask you to do anything again” jack offered his hand as a way if sealing the deal Sam paused for moment but knowing jack as he did he knew jack was always a man of his word. Sam took another sip of his drink “I really don’t know what you’ve got me into but what the heck, deal” shaking jacks hand sealing the deal. Jack smiled like a Cheshire Cat “great, just great, you won’t regret it” before going up to the bar and ordering another round of drinks. “So tell me jack, what exactly have I agreed to” Sam enquired jack smiled turning his laptop towards Sam “the beginning of a new adventure” as jack went on to explain all about the event where it was and when it would take place. 

January 29, 2021 10:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

D. Owen
14:32 Feb 04, 2021

Enjoyable, beliveable read about friendship. * capitalize names- capitalize first letter in first word in quotes * apostrophes needed- Jack's hand, Jack's response, Jack's adventure * period after seal the deal, Sam inquired. Jack smiled....reread for other periods needed. *when he needed to.-take out comma begin new sentence * either rather than ether * "Thirsty much?" * end some sentences rather than join with and or but * quite active. He liked going... * consider- Sam was still not convinced. Knowing Jack would just keep on nagging ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.