Contest #201 shortlist ⭐️

50 comments

Contemporary Crime Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

When I met her, word on the street was that Esmay was beyond help.

Her friends called her “crazy” and “borderline.” By the religiously-inclined of former times, she might’ve been thought of as demon-possessed.

During drunken fits she’d get into fist fights or threaten to throw herself from freeway overpasses.

She walked a thin line and repeatedly upset rumors of her demise, taking immense pride in being what she called “stronger than dirt.”

She had a breathalyzer in her car. Two years ago, she’d overturned her Hyundai in an incident where she was discovered to be three times over the legal blood-alcohol limit.

She made financial ends meet by renting her body out for clinical trials, hoping the entire time that she’d taken placebos instead of the experimental medications upstart pharmaceutical companies produced for everything from bipolar disorder to angina. 

There were times she’d come home from one of these “lab-rat money runs” with side effects, bad ones. But they’d eventually subside and she’d make jokes about how at least she hadn’t become the victim of sudden death syndrome. That Esmay. Tougher than dirt. As resilient as rubber.

Even though she smoked all my stuff, drank all my wine, and frequently resorted to flings with Little Dicky, a former boyfriend I suspected provided her with something I couldn’t, I felt something for her.

I made what I called “minimum rage” flipping beef patties and assembling burgers at a late-night boardwalk diner called Cracker Jack’s.

Before the week was up, with Esmay’s and my drug debts, I’d be begging tourists for change to buy spare cigarettes.

For a while, we resided in a tent on the rooftop of a building where Desmond “Tutu” Phillips, a friend since freshman year in high school, was the apartment building manager. Desmond risked losing his job for giving Esmay and me a key to the restricted access rooftop. Despite our unconventional ways, he had the patience of Jesus with us. 

Even so, I’d still piss over the side of the building and Esmay would relieve herself where- and whenever convenient.

When we got too grungy, we’d take care of our hygiene needs at the showers meant for beachgoers.

At night we read copiously by battery-operated lantern light and shared a predilection for somber stuff. Our favorites were Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Camus and Hamid.

When we tired of the Cracker Jack’s grub I’d bring to our squatter pad, we’d get high and end up eating Red Velvet cake and whatever else she’d send me to shoplift from the supermarket a 10-minute walk away.

On the stroll back home, paranoid from the nearly toxic Cosmic Kush, and with my backpack stuffed with our pilfered renegades’ sustenance, I’d be startled by the sounds of passing cars, thinking a cop was sooner or later bound to stop me for stealing Esmay’s and my daily booze and bread. Although I feared the cops, I always suspected my weed paranoia was caused by a much deeper-seeded guilty conscience: I should’ve confronted Little Dicky a long time ago. Also, I had left my mother’s side when I felt her senescence was becoming a burden. There’s no way I had the resolve or character to be the care giver for an aging parent. When I confessed these thoughts to Esmay, she’d dismiss my concerns and say I needed to stop overthinking things.

I remember once when Esmay and I were walking home from a party, she said, pointing to a couple of graffiti-spraying gangbangers, “Javier, I’m scared. That guy with the Supreme hoodie has a gun. He pointed it at me.”

Never sure whether she really meant such things, but fueled by drug- and alcohol-induced courage, I confronted the guy.

“Hey, man,” I said to the one Esmay had referred to, “You know what I am?”

“A janky spic boy with a death wish?” he answered with a sneer.

“No, I’m a delinquent out to get delinquents. What you gonna do with that heater?”

Turns out he didn’t have a gun, just another can of neon spray paint, but he wasn’t overly enthused by the tete to tete I had with him. He and his friend didn’t kick my ass, but Mr. Supreme sprayed me in the eyes with the paint. Esmay started mouthing off to him, but even though I was partially blinded, I pulled her away for fear that we’d both get battered.

Those are the kind of stupid things I’d do for Esmay, but the important thing to me was she would call me things like her “ballsy little soldier” and lavish me with affection after I’d go out on a limb for her. I put blood, sweat, and tears into the relationship and rarely did I think it wasn’t worth it.

The end of our star-crossed romance began after Esmay came back from the free clinic where Doctor “For the People” Randolph Hamilton told her she had cervical cancer. 

After she heard the diagnosis, Esmay became determined to go “out with a bang.” She began visiting Little Dicky more frequently. She demanded I steal tequila instead of wine from the supermarket, and when she drank the Patron I’d bring to our squatter’s abode, her temper became hair-trigger sensitive. 

The only respite I’d get from her gloomy rages would come when I’d invite her to the beach when the moon was full. Apparently, Little Dicky had something against doing things that smacked of romance or chivalry with her. Moonlit midnight swims in the Pacific were one such pastime Dicky didn’t seem to have a taste for. 

On the nights Esmay and I’d sink our toes into the wet sand while the moon’s phantasmagorical light reflected onto the dark side of the Earth, she’d momentarily forget about her terminal diagnosis. 

She’d also forget about her mortal condition whenever we’d watch movies at the rooftop squat. 

I don’t know if it’s the case with most people, but when I’m high and watching a good flick, I’ll hear messages in the movie’s dialogue. I’ll also interpret anything someone says out loud about the film to have personal relevance. I’ve heard these phenomena are called “thoughts of reference” by those in the field of mental health.  Schizophrenics have them, but I guess when I’m high I might get a little schizophrenic. 

Makes me wonder why I keep smoking the Cosmic Kush, but one night while viewing Scarface with Esmay for the fifth or sixth time, she said something along the lines of “God, it’s just so good. I can’t get enough of it.”

To my cognitively distorting, and high, mind, Esmay wasn’t talking about the film’s extended denouement where Tony Montana gets shot by his sister, then exterminates a battalion of rival narco gangster “cockroaches” before he ends up floating face down, bloodied and bullet-riddled in his “the world is yours” Miami drug-boss mansion. No, Esmay wasn’t talking about the film. My mind interpreted her statement as referring to her relationship with Little Dicky. 

Before Montana gets the shotgun blast in the back that finally does him in, Esmay exclaimed, “Jesus, we all know he’s doomed!”

When she said that, I couldn’t help but believe that she was referring to our friend and benefactor, Desmond. If for whatever reason Desmond was doomed, Esmay and I would soon be off the rooftop and into the street—nowhere for a loving couple to be, especially when one in the pair has terminal cancer.

I didn’t know whether Esmay’s words would attract fate, but I knew that her despair was making her behave more erratically. She started to break down in tears when she’d think of having to be holed up in a hospital or hospice, awaiting the inevitable during the last stages of her disease.

That night after the movie, and while coming down off the perception-altering shrubbery, I decided to take a course of action.

The next morning, I bought two tabs of acid off Tripster Todd, a boardwalk dealer of LSD and various other hallucinogens.

I told Esmay that we’d go for a swim at the beach after I got off my shift at midnight.

We walked to the beach at close to 2 AM. On the way there I picked a purple flower whose name I didn’t know from a garden in front of a well-tended house. As we walked, I put the flower in Esmay’s hair.

The moonless night sky’s inkiness was blinding.

The tide was low and we had to walk a good distance to the water. There was no one on that portion of the beach except for us.

As she dipped down into the waters ahead of me, Esmay expressed her gratefulness for not having any open wounds, given that a recent outbreak of carnivorous bacteria made coastal immersions risky for bathers thusly exposed.

Before going waist deep into the water, I surreptitiously took the two tabs of LSD I’d bought from Tripster. After letting the acid dissolve, I gave Esmay a prolonged French kiss.

In little time my vision, swayed by the acid, started playing tricks on me. Although there was virtually no light on the beach, my eyes summoned a warm radiant glow in the heavens above.

“Jav, I feel funny,” said Esmay. I splashed her with water and told her that she was okay, that everything was going to be okay.

I knew what I had to do. I played out a dialogue in my mind where I said, “You need to confess,” and asked her why she was always going to see Little Dicky. 

In my mind she responded, “My lips are sealed.”

“That’s exactly what they aren’t,” my courageous imagination told her.

We were up to our solar plexuses in the ocean. I took hold of her shoulders and dunked her beneath.

She came up, laughed, then giddy from the acid, childishly said, “Jav, I’m going to die.”

I said, “No you’re not, luv. You’re going to live forever. Remember, Esmeralda Lucero is tougher than dirt.” I repeated the dunking gesture, this time less playfully, taking a fraction of a second longer than Esmay deemed comfortable for her to be under the tide.

The third time I dunked her was even more forceful. She struggled in my grip under the water. I crossed a threshold.

She freed herself from my hold, surfaced, then said, “What do you think you’re doing?” more in the form of an exclamation than a question.

I smiled. The white of my teeth infuriated Esmay more.

“It’s not funny, you hijo de puta! Why do I feel like I’m tripping?” she screamed before trying to dig her nails into my eyes.

The time had arrived. I knew the cure.

I put her neck into a vise-like hold in the crook of my right elbow and dunked her under the dark waters again.

Her arms flailed about. She tried to kick, she writhed, but I held fast. I could hear her submerged cries, but they were muffled and accompanied by an up-bubbling of exasperated air. 

Her writhing gradually slowed down, until she managed a last, weak exhalation and final spasm, and then yielded her spirit to the Pacific Ocean. I left her body floating where I had drowned it.

Even though no one had heard or seen what transpired, I was still tripping on the acid, and the walk back to Desmond’s apartment building was haunted by bogeymen and illusionary images of people pointing fingers and whispering accusations.

I climbed the stairs to the rooftop where my unhoused person’s hovel was located, lit a cigarette, and was overcome by an urge to write a song. I took out my notebook and a pen and started scribbling.

Moonless night

World’s delight

Me, you drowning

Out of sight

We fear most

Give up the ghost

But before we do

Let’s make a toast

On our tongues

Still feeling young

Summon moon

And avoid the sun

We’ll be scared

Cause we’ve dared

Court Pluto

In Neptune’s lair.

I put the pen down, satisfied with the verses and thought of the poor and beaten down, of the fact that we are all victims to the onslaught of implacable and incorrigible Time. I thought of what could have been and of what now would never be between Esmay and me. 

After another cigarette, I laid on my rooftop sleeping bag, unable to forgive myself—despite my best intentions—for the simple thing, the merciful thing, I’d done. Before I knew it, I had cried myself to a still and unrepentant slumber—the sleep of both the wolf and the lamb, of the innocently voracious and the imperfectly innocent.


June 09, 2023 15:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

Delbert Griffith
11:01 Jun 10, 2023

Wow. This is one of your best, Mike. I swear you have the soul - and writing style - of some of those 50's Beat writers. This is a stunning tale, chock full of pathos, love, death, and a hint of eternal longing. It all speaks of the transcendent soul, the unquenchable spirit that defines us as that best and worst of all creatures: the human. This gritty story is the story of humanity, in 3k words or less. Yes, Esmeralda Lucero. You gave her her full patronymic before she died; all other references to her is as Esmay. That was good. Very go...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:25 Jun 10, 2023

The comparison to the Beats is flattering, perhaps my style could be designated "Off-Beat?" The last line almost wrote itself, I appreciate your liking it. Thanks for catching the type-o. Somehow "deeper-seeded" seems more appropriate given the context of this story. As always, Delbert, I appreciate when a distinguished writer deems a story of mine worth reading, and you are one such writer of distinction. Take care.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Rye
02:01 Jun 15, 2023

Wow. It’s rare in a short story, but this really drew me in- I completely forgot about the dishes waiting to be cleaned and got totally lost in your story. It really feels like I’m viewing the world from his eyes. It’s amazing- the haunting way you wrote this gave me chills. Excuse me while I go huddle in a blanket and absorb this masterpiece.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:56 Jun 15, 2023

Thank you, Amanda. I feel, for the sake of personal growth, that I definitely need to practice styles other than "haunting." I believe it's possible to write oneself out of a troubled state. It's difficult, however, for me to put this belief into action. Thanks again for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:51 Jun 12, 2023

Very enjoyable. I think there's some excellent character work, and the conflict is delightfully complex. Is it mercy or is it jealousy? But of course, it's both, and more. "minimum rage" - love it. The ending is bang on, and being both the wolf and lamb - both victim and murderer - fits the themes of the story well. I was actually reminded of Crime and Punishment, particularly right after Raskolnikov takes the pawn broker's life. Obviously the context is quite different, but it's when his ideal of the super-man came crashing down due to ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:21 Jun 12, 2023

I'm glad I was able to provide some joy to the Tribal Scribe with my own scribblings. I'm also glad the lyrics didn't fall "dead in the water" (some pun intended). Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 Jun 16, 2023

Congrats on the shortlist! Glad this story is getting some recognition :)

Reply

Mike Panasitti
00:04 Jun 17, 2023

Thanks, Michal. I was surprised to see that your work was not similarly honored by the judges. I would have bet on its' winning this week's contest. I'm sure you'll continue to dazzle us with your brilliance and future wins, regardless. Take care.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Saleem
19:20 Jun 11, 2023

I loved how you described the thoughts going inside the mind of the narrator, really loved the narration style.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:32 Jun 12, 2023

Even though most of my stories use other POVs, I enjoy first person narrations. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
00:39 Jun 11, 2023

A compelling story, Mike. The complexity of his motivation is very authentic. Is he jealous, is he merciful, is he high? All of the above and more. A tale for our times of people who have fallen through the cracks. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
18:12 Jun 09, 2023

Wow,Mike, going for the trophy with this one! 🏆🏆🏆 I almost called it! Congrats on the shortlist!

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:23 Jun 10, 2023

Thank you, Mary. You were the first to read and comment on it. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
00:17 Jul 04, 2023

Shortlisted again! Nice job Mike. Well done. Your most haunting work to date. Their relationship is beyond dysfunctional and yet of course there’s love in there. I wonder how he’s going to feel when he sobers up though, what seemed like mercy the night before probably won’t to him when he’s got nothing cranking up his thoughts.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:07 Jul 04, 2023

Thanks, Graham! Worse yet, I wonder how Javier's going to feel if the cops ever show up to his rooftop abode and start asking questions. Thanks for reading! I hope life is treating you as decently as you merit to be treated.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:32 Jul 04, 2023

Thanks, Mike. I’m doing well. I can’t see Javier going quietly, unless it’s quietly off the roof. I hope you’re doing well.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
04:22 Jul 04, 2023

You've a quick and creative mind (and given the story an alternate conclusion).

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:08 Jul 04, 2023

Well you already mentioned police going up so if he got away from him there he wouldn’t have many options.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:08 Jun 22, 2023

This is beautiful. As a reader I want to view the murder as an act of kindness prompted by how well he knows her fears, but the conflict there is that he’s also angry an jealous and the act is not innocent at all. The song is is perfect in the way it tells everything if you know and nothing if you don’t.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
21:35 Jun 22, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting, Anne.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
18:10 Jun 19, 2023

First, forgive the lateness of this, Mike. Just now getting through my Reedsy backlog. And second: Congratulations on another shortlist! You've really hit your stride recently, and I'm excited to see where the momentum is going to take you. Fingers crossed that there's a big win with your name on it in the near future. As for the story itself: Might be my favorite from you - or a close second to "Two and Two Make Five." Similarly to that one, I think there's something a little different in the prose here, something that's outside your usual...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
22:01 Jun 19, 2023

Zack! I give myself a congratulatory dabs for being able to impress as august a writer as yourself. Thanks as always for the comments. And although I'm enrolled in three classes and I have a busy summer visual arts schedule, I'll try to keep up the momentum here on Reedsy. Hopefully you'll tantalize us with a literary morsel this week. Thanks again and take care.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherry Bazley
16:03 Jun 19, 2023

You gave your narrator a very believable voice. As he told his story, I, like another of your commenters, forgot where I was and instead was on the rooftop, on the beach, and walking down the sidewalk with Esmay and Javier. The characters you chose to write about seem a far cry from soccer moms and corporate jobs or political aspirants. Yet, all of them and all of us share the same basic DNA structure, hopes, dreams and fears. For me, it was no easy walk with Esmay and Javier and when he took her to the beach I knew what he was going to ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
16:49 Jun 19, 2023

Thank you for sharing this very poetic reflection on the story. It means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
19:19 Jun 17, 2023

Fine work. I am not building for that kind of drowning moves. Congrats.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
22:54 Jun 17, 2023

I would not recommend that kind of build-up. Thank you, Philip.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
18:17 Jun 19, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:24 Jun 17, 2023

This was amazing. It really brought me into feeling I was living in a tent on a rooftop with an unpredictable girlfriend named Esmay. The mixed emotions of revenge and mercy really made the ending powerful. Great to see this made the shortlist.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
05:31 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you, Scott. It’s quite an honor when someone tells me that something I’ve written has allowed them to live vicariously. I’ve had the pleasure of residing in hundreds of different characters as a result of similar experiences. I guess we can call the phenomenon “reincarnation via literature.” Thanks again for reading and commenting.

Reply

06:28 Jun 18, 2023

I'm still thinking about your story. So many moral dilemmas in this, it really sticks with you. You should try sending it off to some other publications and editors and see what they have to say, you still own the copyright, I think they just need to give a note to reedsy.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
18:40 Jun 18, 2023

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C. Charles
03:04 Jun 17, 2023

Congratulations! Your writing is very smart and very compelling. Really draws you in. Haven’t read it in a while but it kind of gives me ‘Rabbit, Run’ vibes, especially the darkness of the ending.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:05 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you, C. I'll have a look at 'Rabbit, Run.'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
22:05 Jun 16, 2023

Congratulations on the shortlist. I really enjoyed the emotion and intensity in this story. Can't wait to read the next.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
00:00 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you, Hazel. I look forward to reading more of your work as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:55 Jun 16, 2023

Mike, each story is better and better. The gritty realism here is visceral. The characters are heartbreakingly beautiful, perfectly imperfect. Gorgeous, spare prose here. Magnificent

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:17 Jun 17, 2023

Mil graz (a thousand thanks, in Sicilian), Deidra. I couldn't believe the judges chose to shortlist this one over other contenders, such as Tribal Scribe Przywara, but it lends validity to your assessment of my evolving abilities. You deserve acknowledgment, since you were the first to ever glowingly critique my first story. Had it not been for your welcoming comments, I may never have made further ventures the writerly craft. I look forward to reading The Medicine Woman.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:22 Jun 16, 2023

Well done Mike 👏

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:49 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you, Helen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peter Wyatt
15:30 Jun 13, 2023

Wow, really powerful stuff here. I was very moved by the death scene. You pulled it off deftly and it made total sense in the moment. Really nice job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
00:57 Jun 12, 2023

My initial reaction was stunning, beautiful, sad, dramatic. Acts committed in the guise of love and mercy. The old movie, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They," just tapped me on the brain - this feels how that did. And when I say "felt," I mean deeply, unforgettably. Beautiful work, Mike

Reply

Mike Panasitti
22:31 Jun 12, 2023

I will take a look at the film you make mention of. Ironic that I'm currently working on a horse painting. Thanks for reading (and the genuinely touching comments).

Reply

Susan Catucci
14:50 Jun 13, 2023

You paint as well? That's wonderful. I enjoy cartooning more than anything but paint, too. It's a great outlet - best for the heart and soul.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:46 Jun 11, 2023

I rate this story Mike. You convey the power of love and jealousy and even mercy compellingly. So much so that the characters literally jump off the page in all their flawed humanity. Also, the prolonged effect of films as key scenes play over and over in our mind until they form part of the fabric of our lives. So much so that they become reference points in our journey. All along, I couldn’t believe that Esmay wouldn’t make it. I was willing her to make it and hoping she’d been misdiagnosed. I was hoping for a reprieve. But life is not ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
13:44 Jun 12, 2023

Although I believe this story has some glaring flaws, I'm touched by the fact that Esmay's character spoke to you, Helen. Thanks, as always, for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:22 Jun 16, 2023

Well done Mike 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.