50 comments

Historical Fiction Science Fiction Funny

By far the worst thing about time travel is saving Hitler’s life. Now don’t you yell at me, Monica – in my defence, I am saving him from myself. Earlier I did kill him first so that’s got to count for something, right? Well, it turned out to be a bad idea because I ended up breaking reality.

Just a smidge.

You can’t really hold it against me, because you didn’t exactly train me for this. But I can fix it.

I step through the time portal onto the roof of the Hotel Kaiserhof, in Berlin of 1932, and I see myself – my earlier self – by the edge. And damn it, I’m late because other me is already taking aim! If he gets a shot off from that atomic sniper rifle, it’ll wipe out not just the Führer but also the future.

I sprint across the roof and shout “Wait!” but other me is too focused. Right as he pulls the trigger, I dive and hit him. The rifle fires with a terrifying whine and a streak of superheated yellow plasma rips into the sky. There’s an explosion high above us, big enough to take out a mid-sized laundromat, but thankfully it only hits clouds.

In the streets below, people scream and Hitler flees. My terrible job is done.

“What the hell!” says other me.

“You’ll thank me later.” Earlier? Whenever.

So, I know, you said we should never interact with our past selves, because time paradoxes and yadda yadda. I’ll admit, that stuff is way over my head and you’re smarter than me. I only signed on with your lab because I figured your research wouldn’t go anywhere and it’d be a slack paycheque. Who could have guessed you’d actually crack time travel?

Anyway. I had to do it, okay? I had to stop myself from shooting, because for some reason, killing Hitler erased you from the timeline. And, well, you want to point fingers at someone, maybe start with your ancestors, whose lineage is suddenly very suspect.

Well, it no longer matters as I’ve fixed it.

I draw my time sword and slash a hole in the fabric of reality, and step back into the future.

Our office is just as I left it. Your desk is back, but… dang. Your stuff’s not there. Did my plan fail? Did I miss something?

I hear a commotion outside, and I open the blinds to see the streets of New York. There’s a parade but everyone’s in uniform. Hmm. With armbands. And there’s banners hanging from the buildings. Red and black and white ones. Hmm. And off in the distance, Lady Liberty has been replaced by a colossal brass dictator.

Hmm.

I close the blinds.

“Shit shit shit!”

I check my computer. Happily there’s still an internet, and it’s all too eager to give me historical information on the rise of – what!? The Atomic Reich?

An article tells me that when Berlin witnessed the mysterious explosion in the sky in 1932, it gave them a leg up on atomic power, and the bomb didn’t end the war, it started it.

Looks like I made things just a tad worse then. Well, I think you’ll agree, it’s your fault for not being here to stop me! I don’t really know what I’m doing, and I don’t think anyone could have predicted this.

I’ve just got to be faster, that’s all. I configure my time sword to arrive earlier, then slash another hole in reality and pop back to the past.

This time I see other me crouched over a big weapon case, still assembling the atomic sniper rifle. I approach him.

“Excuse me,” I say. He startles and points the damn thing at me. “Whoa, easy there!”

“Holy crap,” he says, lowering the rifle. “Are you… me?”

“Yes, I’m you – from the future.

“Oh, wow! That’s amazing! Say, did Monica ever give me that promotion?”

“Er… not that far from the future.”

“Hmm,” he says. “Listen, I’d love to chat, but I just gotta do a thing real quick.”

“Actually, that’s why I’m here. Listen, you can’t kill Hitler. It messes up the whole future. Can’t even fire that rifle.”

He looks crestfallen – and yeah, let me tell you, I get that. What’s the point of going back in time if you can’t even kill Hitler? That’s like the first rule of time travel. But he does hand the rifle to me when I hold my hand out.

“So why can’t I shoot him?” he asks. We see our would-be target crossing the busy Wilhelmplatz, irritatingly oblivious.

“I’m glad you asked,” I say. “See, time travel is pretty complicated. As I understand it–”

Then someone barks “Wait!” and when I turn I see the other previous me, the one that first tried to stop the assassination, charging at me. Before I can react he slams into me. I nearly go over the edge. The rifle does.

All three of us crowd at the railing and watch the weapon spiral lazily to the street below. It clatters at the feet of you-know-who, who jumps and exclaims.

“Ooh!” we hear him say, as he picks the weapon up. “Was ist das?

Hmm.

Shit shit shit.

All three of us cut holes into time and step through them.

I don’t know where the others ended up, but I’m in a burning hellscape. Our office, the whole city, is rubble. The sky is covered in black clouds, and is literally on fire, and everything is shaking as gargantuan robots stomp about shooting death rays all over the place. And of course there’s still no sign of you, because you just couldn’t be arsed to resume existing.

And on top of all that, I can’t breathe and my eyes are burning so I quickly reconfigure my time sword and cut another hole. I think I know how to prevent this. Just have to make sure I get there before we knock the rifle off the roof.

Okay. Berlin, 1932. I see third me explaining to first me why we can’t shoot Hitler, and – there! Second me just appeared and started charging towards the others. I sprint and tackle him just before he slams into third me. We hit the ground with an oof, but it looks like third me is still holding the rifle, so mission accomplished!

“Shit shit shit!” says second me, beneath me. His arm is outstretched to the sky, and I see his time sword spinning in the air and clattering over the edge of the roof. All four of us rush to the railing and look down, just in time to see Hitler laughing maniacally with the sword in his hand.

Okay. I know it’s technically not a “time sword” but instead a… what did you call it? A chrono-bono splasher? Splisher? Splicer! A chrono-spacial splicer, yeah. But that’s a dumb name; everyone says so. And I know that technically I wasn’t supposed to borrow it, and if you were here you’d probably say I stole it – but you’re not here, so I guess that means I didn’t do anything wrong.

But I sure do wish you were here, because I’m reasonably confident things just hit the fan, and you’d know how to fix it. Probably with something lame like using math.

I cut another time sword hole and leap into the future.

The office is intact again, but there’s three guys in it, wearing what I can only describe as spaceman armour. Heavy black steel, mechanized whirring, gold insignia – red capes! – and lots of blinking red lights. Two are wearing helmets molded like skulls, and the third has an officer’s cap, and he snaps to me.

“Aha!” he says. “We’ve finally found you.” Then he swings a time sword at me!

I barely get my sword up to block his, and I let out a fierce battle cry that definitely isn’t just me screaming in panic. He cuts at me again and again, and bisects my desk as I jump behind it. He’s off balance and I take my opportunity to fight back by grabbing the closest thing near me and throwing it at his face – a half-full bag of paper clips.

He shrugs them off and sneers. And then the other two space Nazis draw their own time swords – because of course they do – and all three rush me.

I battle cry again and duck out the office, and sprint down the hall. There’s more troops in other offices, and when I glance over my shoulder the commander is gaining.

Okay, I need to fix this. I don’t really know how, but first things first: escape. I mash the configuration of my sword to whatever and slash open a hole and dive through.

Suddenly the dead air of the office is replaced by a frigid sea breeze, the sad carpet by polished wooden planks, and the flickering grey lights with a splash of stars against the night sky. A couple men in old-timey sailor costumes startle around me. Unless they are old-timey sailors, of course. Then I suppose they’re uniforms, not costumes.

But I don’t have time to introduce myself or admire the starscape, because somehow that Nazi commander got through my time hole, and now he’s here too. He lands with a thud and the planks beneath him groan. Actually, the whole floor moves, heaving my stomach. Turns out we landed on a ship.

“Surrender!” he shouts. “The CyberFührer 9000 will have your head! We will pull out all your time secrets!”

Yeah, except I don’t have any, because you’re the genius and I’m just the assistant.

“Never!” I shout. He lunges again. The crew around us scramble away from our blades and the deck lurches beneath our feet as we trade slashes and chops. Look, I really don’t understand why you’re so opposed to “time sword” as a name, because we’re literally sword fighting with them. Anyway, I digress.

He hacks the railing in half as a wave sprays us with ice cold water. I see an opening and swing with all my might – and my sword bounces off his spaceman armour.

“Ha ha ha!” he laughs. Then he punches me with his free hand – a pneumatic gauntlet that sends me flying across the deck and probably breaks something in my ribcage. I wheeze and a moment later I see him standing over me.

“This was amusing,” he says, “but it’s time for you to die, my friend.” He raises his sword with a cruel grin – and then there’s a flash of light behind him and a man roars. Next thing I know I see me run into the officer from behind, just as the ship lurches again, and suddenly the Nazi goes tumbling off the deck with a scream.

My saviour helps me to my feet, and I see me, but much older. A wild beard and tattered clothes, but also a bunch of strange animal pelts and a bow slung over his shoulder.

“Holy crap!” I say. “Are you… me?”

“Yes, I’m you – from the future.

“Oh, wow! That’s amazing! Say, did we ever save Monica–”

He sighs incredibly loud. “I’ve spent the last decade in the Jurassic, and that’s what you ask me?”

The Jurassic!? But why?”

He looks dramatically into the horizon, and mutters, “Never find me there.”

“What do you mean? Are you just hiding? We have to do something to fix things–”

“–You can’t fix this!” he roars, grabbing me by the collar. “Believe me, I’ve tried.”

“There’s got to be something.”

“There isn’t! Everything I do just makes things worse. It’s like my life is the Titanic.”

“That’s… an odd metaphor,” I say.

He shrugs. “We’re on it.” Then he grabs me by the collar again, and his eyes balloon. “And don’t you dare try to save them! This ship must sink. It really is for the best.”

“But–”

“–Trust me.” His voice is a whisper.

I disentangle myself from his grip. “Well, maybe that’s so, but I won’t just give up.”

“You will eventually.”

“I can fix things.” He scoffs, but I know I’m right. I can’t believe I’d ever turn out like this guy. Though, seeing real live dinosaurs does sound cool. Another day! First, the Time Reich. I really wish you were here. You’d know just what to do. You’d probably tell me to make small changes, since the whole thing is so overwhelming. To work backwards and figure out where I first got lost. Probably tell me to sit still and think things through before I actually did anything.

Hmm. Maybe that’s it. Maybe I can’t fix things.

I slash my time sword and step between dates, just as the Titanic slams into an iceberg.

Berlin, 1932. The Hotel Kaiserhof. I get there well before my initial me arrives, and when he does, I explain the situation to him. He argues that doing nothing is insane, but he hands over the rifle case all the same, and the atomic rifle is never assembled. Then we put up a net, so other mes don’t come sprinting blindly out of a time hole and off the roof, throwing future tech at the enemy. With the lot of us assembled together and filled in, we settle down for a very boring day of people watching in Wilhelmplatz. The target arrives, the target leaves – and nobody dies or loses any gadgets.

It’s uneventful, like a work day. Speaking of which, we say our farewells and go our separate ways. I’m the last to depart. I take one last look at Berlin, ’cause there’s no way I’d be able to afford a ticket to visit where I’m from – unless I got a raise, hint hint – and then I slash my time sword and return home.

And I gasp, because–

“Monica!” I say. “You’re here!”

“Uh, yeah,” you say, “I was just in the john.”

I run up and hug you. “You have no idea how much I missed you!”

And you disentangle yourself and push me back. “A little inappropriate. Hey, did you steal the prototype chrono-spacial splicer?”

“I borrowed it.”

“You’re fired.”

“Uh,” I say. I’m sure I could come up with a credible defense if I thought it through, but instead I slash time again and slip into the Jurassic.

April 05, 2023 23:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

Laurel Hanson
14:59 Apr 07, 2023

Super glad I decided not to write this week either as the "borrowed time" concept was what was stewing in my brain but without the skill or panache evident here. Nicely done, particularly framed around the age-old question of stopping Hitler. I am sure I am not the only geek who is going to point out that third me couldn't have interacted with second me without second me having that info before returning, which would alter that perspective and subsequent choices, but since none of it can happen (I think?) it isn't worth mentioning. Love the ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:09 Apr 08, 2023

Yeah, "endless cycle" is what immediately brought up time shenanigans for me. It's a tremendously interesting concept to think about. This silly story errs on the side of campy. I suspect discrepancies arise because - in this world - the timeline isn't being changed so much as there are numerous timelines, and by cutting through them and ham fisting edits, things get tangled. Thus, the temporal clones. If I had more than 3k words, I think an interesting question to examine would be: are you changing time, or are you merely moving to another...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Fruchtman
17:57 Apr 08, 2023

Really enjoyed this. Loved the idea of the time sword, very inventive. Nicely done, good voice. Well done.

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:51 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Andrew! Yeah, the whole story had a bit of a pulp vibe, and swords felt like the perfect fit for that :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:48 Apr 06, 2023

What madness! I like the time travel concept, a time loop thing. The idea that one small change in the past can impact the future in a big way. Your writing, as usual, bubbles with charm and self deprecating humour. -I’m just the assistant. -I only signed on with your lab because I figured your research wouldn’t go anywhere and it’d be a slack paycheque. Haha I like the circular concept here, that the guy from the Jurassic time is him from the future, um.. what future and… well my brain can’t comprehend it, but I know I enjoyed the mayh...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:43 Apr 06, 2023

Madness is right :) This prompt immediately brought up time travel ideas for me, so we ended up with this kind of over the top pulp story. Glad it was enjoyable, Michelle :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
20:56 Apr 24, 2023

Hey Michal, This was a wonderful piece in all the ways I expect from you. It was witty and funny and dabbled in questions of ethics. I like that this story felt a bit confusing at times, like time travel, but it was fun to unravel all the same. I loved the way this story played into our ideas of unexpected consequences and kept it pretty light hearted for such a heavy topic. Nice work!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Apr 26, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I had an initial draft which was much more serious, but it didn't turn out at all - ponderous, heavy, and bland. I think the lighter take definitely worked out better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Giselle M
02:37 Apr 14, 2023

What a fun read Michał. I had a blast reading this story. Great job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 Apr 14, 2023

Thanks Giselle! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R. S. Writes
02:56 Apr 12, 2023

This is a great way to interpret the prompt, and a really great story. I love the concept of being in a cycle of messing things up and the humor throughout the whole story. I especially like the ending! It puts a neat bow and wraps it up well while still leaving the ending open.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Apr 12, 2023

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it :) It was a fun one to write, particularly seeing how cycles might compound and affect each other.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
01:04 Mar 31, 2024

I've been missing the weekly Michał stories and this one hit the spot. The thought of going back to "fix" things and it just keeps going sideways...man, that's like my worst nightmare. Luckily nothing I've ever done has resulted in space nazis, so I guess I'm doing okay :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
19:41 Apr 07, 2024

Thanks, Kailani! Yeah, that fantasy of going back to fix mistakes is incredibly alluring, but who can say if things would actually improve? It's a fun thing to ponder :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Banks
09:03 Apr 14, 2023

I really enjoyed your story dude, I also wrote a piece for this segment, the 8th day, have a look and let me know what you think! Your story was really clever, just a bit anti climatic at the end, I think it's better than my own though, may the best dude win :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Apr 14, 2023

Thanks Kevin! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
19:01 Apr 13, 2023

Bang-up job, Michał! I’m behind in reading, but glad I finally got to this one! Time travel works well with a sci-fi/comedy mix. : ) I know you’ve done at least one other fantastical “other me” story, very different from this one. There’s so much action and confusion in this type of story that it could end up a jumbled, incomprehensible mess of words, but somehow you’ve kept track of it. The multiple paradoxical situations are mind boggling. Great read! I wish there were a search function here, to see if I’ve previously mentioned this: A t...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:44 Apr 14, 2023

I didn't find "To Say Nothing of the Dog" on my reading list, so now I've added it. Thanks for the recommendation! Yes, definitely had another multiple-me story, "Effigicide". Alternate realities in that one, but definitely some similarities, and I found myself checking to see if I wasn't plagiarizing myself a couple times. This one was fun chaos to write, and I always wanted to take a crack at a tangled time web. But of course, it takes some work for it to all mesh. Glad this one worked out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
16:58 Apr 12, 2023

I remember a few weeks ago asking you to rise to the challenge of writing a story with three odd bedfellows for genre tags and in "historical fiction", " Sci fi" and "funny" especially a story centering on taking out Hitler, I think you took my challenge and more than ran the gauntlet (that's what I'm telling myself anyway!) I really think you should change jobs and take on the title Coiner of New Words. And how about Word of the Week fun articles or posts online? I am far from media savvy but with gems like the following neologisms there s...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 Apr 12, 2023

Ha! Actually, *yes*, I did have that challenge in mind :) Initially I wanted sci-fi, historical, and creative non-fiction, but I had no real idea how to make it work - other than maybe a cop-out about a writer who wrote sci-fi and historical. Then I also wanted sword fighting, which did not manifest in "A Bride in the Hand is Worth Two in the Books". But with all those components, I didn't see a serious way to tie it together so it went campy. (Hmm, maybe a pensive time traveller who gets stranded in the past while tracing his family roo...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:37 Apr 13, 2023

The sword! How could I have forgotten that request. Oh my Michal I feel so touched that you had me so much in mind. All three tags, coinages, a sword fight. It's better than Valentine's Day, gifts, gifts gifts! Now if you next write a serious one like your cookbook tale I might have to buy a plane ticket. Only joking, but you've made me very happy this morning. Side note to your ponder: how do you get new words considered for the dictionary I wonder. Do you ever write journalism? It might well be worth your while writing articles that lead w...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Apr 13, 2023

I've never tried journalism, no. Hadn't really considered it. I was never too big on research - and there's an abundance of that in the day job - and just naturally gravitated towards fiction. Maybe I'll have to give it a proper look. I appreciate the vote of confidence! And the challenges are fun. Glad you enjoyed the results. There's a weird phenomenon I've noticed - perhaps you have too - where constraints actually make a story easier to write. I have written prompt-less stories before, but I don't know if I could hammer them out week...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
01:50 Apr 12, 2023

Hey Michal - A great action-packed, timey-wimey adventure! A lot of fun to read - once seeing the CyberFührer 9000, there's no going back - and it's great he got a chance to go see the dinosaurs :) R

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 Apr 12, 2023

Thanks, Russell! Timey-wimey is exactly what I hoped for :) A bit more camp and pulp this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fred Aiken
18:20 Apr 10, 2023

this was a fun and entertaining story. personally, i'm not a huge fan of time travel stories, especially since they always tend to follow the same pattern and plot when it comes to killing hitler. but your narrator was annoyingly humorous, so it made the story more enjoyable than previous iterations of this story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:05 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Fred! "annoyingly humorous" - that's what I was hoping for :) I'm glad this ended up being enjoyable, and distinct from other takes on the theme. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:39 Apr 10, 2023

Hi Michal A fascinating concept. As you so ably demonstrated, it wasn’t possible to execute given the constraints of time travel. If only terrible events could be stopped! A slight change and the whole of history could have been altered. Presented with humour to lighten the seriousness behind it all, but still a thought-provoking piece.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:44 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Helen! Yeah, one of the draws of time travel is the fantasy of going back and fixing all the things that went wrong. But much like a genie's wish, it'll have unforeseen consequences, won't it? I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
12:27 Apr 10, 2023

A tour de force, Michal. 👍👍👍 I always struggle with time-travel, it's blo*dy difficult (for me) to pull off, but you've managed to combine the best of Jerry Yulsman, Jack Finney, and Harry Turtledove in a cyber-world milieu, and all in 3000 words or less. Just terrific. -:) RG

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Richard! It's difficult to keep it on rails, true, but given it doesn't appear to be physically possible (other than of course the mundane travelling forward through time, at the speed of our life) there's a bit of freedom to play with it. Like magic in high fantasy, I suppose. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:59 Apr 10, 2023

Fun story, you really killed it with the first sentence, and the premise of not being able to assassinate Hitler, because that would cause Germany to win the war. It's like how the media says if North Korea's Kim died, it might cause an even more extreme leader to take his place. I laughed at the line, "I let out a fierce battle cry that definitely isn’t just me screaming in panic." that's so true. This story felt very visual, a bit like EEAAO, I could picture it well. A great satire, well done.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Scott! Yeah, good point about Kim. I've heard similar things regarding Putin, and there's probably a lot of truth in it. Better the devil you know kind of thing - except that's intrinsically not very satisfying, is it? But complex problems rarely have simple solutions, I suppose. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:00 Apr 09, 2023

Oh, a tummy tickler! You are so good at all the styles of writing. I picked the same prompt for my 'Monotony' but that was so simple to write I can't even imagine the difficulty of keeping this cycle spinning.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Mary! I've always found that trying different styles is a good way to develop my skills - even if sometimes the end result is underwhelming. I'm glad you enjoyed this piece :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noah Aylward
03:00 Apr 09, 2023

I'll admit I skipped over this one a few times because I thought I'd seen the "going back in time to kill Hitler goes wrong" story before. I'm glad I finally decided to read it anyway, because I've never seen one that does like this before. It's original, funny, and completely chaotic; essentially the perfect time travel story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:51 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Noah! I'm glad to hear giving it a chance paid off :) "original, funny, and completely chaotic" is what I was aiming for. And yeah, I suspect the basic premise has been done by many people over the years. Certainly, *that* wasn't original, and I suspect the narrator read a bunch of these other stories (or watched the movie) and that's what gave him the idea in the first place. As a "first" rule of time travel, it is a little ridiculous :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
23:21 Apr 08, 2023

This is so much fun, Michal! The comedic impact of having different versions of the character continually burst in is priceless. I wish it were a film!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks Kathryn! I also wish that - maybe one day :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
3i Writer
14:23 Apr 08, 2023

You must be one courageous writer to tackle the infinite paradoxes of time travel face to face.

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:34 Apr 10, 2023

Ha, thanks :) It's always been a topic that interests me, figured I'd give it a go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:39 Apr 08, 2023

Hi Michal I found I put myself in the place of the writer and thought 'how would I keep track of all these mes' and I think I would fail miserably. It's a great story and someone said there were two stories - I thought there were more. A highly complicated but well written story. Many thanks.

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:21 Apr 10, 2023

Thanks, Stevie! Yes, keeping track of the loops, and seeing how each affected the next (previous?) one was a fun challenge :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.