2 comments

General

Liz and Debbie walked together towards the shopping area through the deep new snow. Their feet crunched into the soft granules, making deep footprints. A few snowflakes were still falling, glistening in the sunlight that peeked through the heavy grey clouds. The bright white ground was dazzling, and the reflected sun made it feel too warm to be snowy, except for underfoot which was literally freezing. The world felt very quiet today, as so many people had opted to stay indoors, if they were not at work.


Liz and Debbie talked together animatedly, laughing at the novel sensations around them. They walked arm in arm, helping each other to keep their balance in case of slipping. As they travelled, Liz was mostly watching Debbie's face. Debbie's was turned towards her as she was speaking.


“Wow, I love this!” exclaimed Liz. “Everything is so.... virginal! So fresh and new! Even the air feels so clean and crisp.”


“Oh, I agree.” was Debbie's reply. “Hey have you tasted the snowflakes? I got one on my tongue just now! It feels so special to have it just land there and melt into your mouth. So refreshing and like a gift, somehow.”


They carried on towards the shops, mouths turned upward and open to catch more of the intermittent flakes.


As they got to the boutique where they wanted to check out the clothes on sale, Liz opened the door for them to both pass through. Warm air from a heater above the door hit them on the way in and the freshness was gone but it was very cosy in the shop. An assistant approached, offering help but the girls declined, very happy to just browse by themselves.


Debbie found a wonderfully soft knitted jumper, that had a textured design in the stitches. Holding it up, she asked Liz “What do you think?”


Liz felt the fabric too and agreed it was a lovely feel. “And the deep mustard colour would go really well with your jeans too. Why don't you try it on?”


While Debbie was trying on the jumper, Liz continued browsing the sale rails and found several other items. The girls had fun trying things on and putting different looks together.


They decided to get the mustard jumper, as well as a raspberry pink one for Liz, a T-shirt each for them with matching butterfly prints, one pale blue and one cream and a black mini skirt each. They decided not to bother with the leggings but they did find some really lovely warm tights that had glittery patterns on which would really set their legs off in the skirts.


There was also some jewellery on sale and they bought matching necklaces and earrings to complete their outfits.


Paying for their purchases, they were given vouchers against a future shop so long as they used them within the next month.


“Not sure about that after what we've spent today, but can't hurt to have them just in case.” they commented. “Thank you and have a lovely day!”


“Bye,” smiled the assistant “take care in that snow!”


Liz and Debbie left the shop and decided to grab a coffee before they went to the other shop that they wanted to visit.


The cafe was almost empty so it was easy to find somewhere to sit. The waitress took their order for lattes and triple chocolate chunk cookies and soon returned with it.


“Mmmm” murmured Debbie through a mouthful of crumbs. “Sooo lush!”


“What was that?” giggled Liz, spluttering. “Didn't your mum teach you not to talk with your mouth full?”


Debbie laughed. “Isn't this great! Makes such a change for us to shop together. It should snow more often!”


“Oh, yes!” agreed Liz. “It's so much easier for us when it's quiet like this.”


They finished up their coffee and snacks and went on to the department store where they bought more items on sale – some paints and other craft items for Liz, and some dvds, and Debbie treated herself to a new hot drinks flask for when she would go camping again in the summer. She'd wanted a larger one as she really liked her coffee and her old one kept on running dry on her walks.


They made one more stop before they headed for home. In the pet shop, Debbie bought a new pale pink fluffy collar with a diamante clasp for her lovely labrador, Charlie, who was waiting for her at home, as well as a huge chocolate-flavoured nylon bone and a large bagful of pic-n-mix treats. She hadn't wanted to bring Charlie out in the snow, since her harness would not be warm like a proper dog-coat would, although usually Charlie enjoyed accompanying her on her outings.


The light was beginning to fail as they left the shops to begin the walk for home, so the air was not warmed any more by the sun and it felt definitely chilly and they looked forward to being back indoors with the heating on.


As they arrived back where they lived next door to each other, the sensor lights over their doors lit their faces. “Are you coming in for a cuppa?” queried Debbie to Liz.


“Yes, that would be lovely, thank you.” replied Liz.


So they headed through Debbie's door, greeted by Charlie, who actually needed a quick visit into the garden. Liz went through to put the kettle on while Debbie stayed with Charlie, supervising her then bringing her in when she'd finished the necessary.


Debbie finished off making the drinks while Liz flopped on the sofa. They made a fuss of Charlie, putting her new collar on her and getting a couple of photos on Debbie's phone.


“Well, better be heading back home, thanks for the drink.” said Liz, and picked up her bags to go. Debbie saw her out of the door then picked up her own things to put them away.


When she had finished hanging up her new clothes, she picked up her Bible and sat back, running her hands over the white pages as she did her daily reading.


Next door, Liz put on one of her new dvds, making sure that the subtitles were showing so that she could follow the dialogue.


Outside, the snow shone quietly in the moonlight.

January 09, 2020 18:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:08 Jan 16, 2020

I like the colours in this. It's kind of like a children's story where every paragraph has a very visual theme. I can imagine it with illustrations, but your prose means they're not needed. :)

Reply

Pamela Saunders
07:01 Jan 17, 2020

Ooh, thank you :) I hadn't thought of it in that way, but after your comment, I re-read it with illustrations in mind, and can see exactly what you mean. Would you like to illustrated it for me? :D (even though it's not needed, it would be nice too)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.