2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Sad

Thanks to you grand pa.

You were once a Wiseman who inspired me to be the man I am today.

I reflect to how you raised all the 9 kids with help of you wonderful wife, depending on those small job you used to do once or twice a month as you would tell. Grand pa you would spend time with us all your grand kids asking us questions to test our intelligence and even when we fail to answer you will encourage us that we give ourselves into learning it's like you knew that somewhere, somehow and sometime life will suddenly take us thru different curve from where we want to go. You always had pen in you t shirt upper pocket if not there it's in you right pocket and it was for a reason as you use to say phrase "a man with a pen is mightier than the man with weapon on his hand" case closed.


Old man you spoken to us all thru your love, care and tenderness you provided us protection even thou we didn't know some battle you went thru to keep us safe and together. There comes a time you started coughing and we take is easy no concern, cause you always smile infront of us so we don't get worried about a thing. But little did we know that the disease you been hiding was now stronger it even told you Body mass to lay weapons down. So you were left with the brave heart , that good heart, that little sweetheart 💓 was trying all the best to fight the storm of your body alone. You would smile and play with us knowing that anytime the fire might stop burning inside so you wanted to do and give us all the best memories we can never forget.


I remember when you end days approach you summoned everyone and I don't know what you told them but me I was asked to bring the frame of 4 photos of the handsome and clean pantsula guy standing next to his 2room house you gave me only one photo told me to protect it with all I got, is our family fortune.

I sat next to you without knowing the meaning of them words, I went and hang it back on the wall when I come back it was someones turn to see you.

When you done with all the children you summoned me and when you still tell me that I should go see you mother and they will give me envelope when I was still trying to ask what's on it, cough took over and my grandmother suggested I let you rest as much as I demanded answer I understand that I can't afford to loose you my breadwinner.



We all went out and left you with you wife, only to find out that 30-40min later you gonna leave us I just heard the wife cry louder. All the elders rushed in to see what was going on with Grandma but only to find that you passed out, it was said was for a bit. I remembered you word that you send me to your mother, I went there running hoping to tell her to give me envelope and also to pass her the news but the news got there before me. When I arrive they hugged me and told me I shouldn't worry you are with the angels so I told them they told me that my uncle already called to let them know and I asked for envelope as he instructed me they didn't give me any problem.


I went home with his envelope and k gave it to my uncle and the envelope had lot of documents but only one letter was important out of all documents. It has message for the photo you told me to hold and protect, they left them laying on the floor and the mutuary cab came and fetch you. You left us and we couldn't get to smile for days due to sadness and we couldn't even go to school either, days went by and the day of you mutuary release family didn't have enough money to buy you coffin. While they were busy arguing I was seating next to my Aunty the was a girl called fortune when they called her name I remembered your word of family fortune. I asked Aunty what's the meaning of fortune she explained to me about billion rands instead of just saying wealth so I left the Cup of tea and scones and ran to the seating room to bring the photo. To show her that grand pa said that's the family fortune and me and my aunty thought it was just a photo till I saw your writing "Please take me home so I can rest" STD code 1015.


My aunt figured out what was STD stand for Standard bank account and pin code was 1015. So she called her husband and they told grandmother if they could go check the standard Bank what was going on with that message so they went and got there and the financial advisor told them to bring me. So they came and fetch me I went with them dirty as I was shocked everyone at the bank, so we checked and the bank account was 70 000, UIF he has claimed but never spend a cent. So I asked how much it was needed so I can release it, I released 40 000 so they can buy you coffin you deserve, give you proper burial. We came back and everyone thank me like it was my money but only to find that I inherited all your actions beside the looks.


Grand pa you message from the photo gave us life we never dreamed of having.

You teachings were perfect and the money we left on the account has grown good interest rate since you passed on and we used it last year 2020 to build your dream house for your wife as you stated on the letter and house plan.

I think if we could have a wise teacher like you at school we all could have made it. I wish if you could have taught us all the aspects of life today our future could be easier.

Your words didn't make sense when you were still with us but it spoke when you are no longer around but the message came at right time and right moment.



By Shiko Mathabatha

July 23, 2021 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bethany Walker
21:12 Jul 28, 2021

There are a lot of emotions in this piece. The underlying story is a heartfelt one and there are some good details here, such as the pen that he always carried around in his pocket and the encouragement he always gave his grandchildren. The flow of this was difficult to follow due to some grammatical and language issues. A quick beta read by a friend next time may help smooth some of that out before submission! I thought the twist at the end with the photograph was a really good one and gave great resolution to the loss.

Reply

Shiko Mathabatha
17:07 Aug 01, 2021

Thanks 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.