2 comments

Drama Friendship

It was the summer of 1983 and Roberta was a year out of high school. She was so in love with a guy name Kane that she dated throughout Jr High and High school. They were so in love so you think. Talked about marriage and children and you would rarely see one with out the other during the years of their puppy love friendship.

Kane had to leave for the army it was a hard time for Roberta, they were so young and usually relationships do not last when they are long distance. Kane really loved Roberta, they wrote one another and he called when he could. He even sent a picture of him standing next to the president of the united states. He asked Roberta to marry him while he was over seas.

Things were going well for a while and then what can happen with long distant relationships it took a turn for the worst. Kane wrote her one day and said he had gotten hurt when they were out on enemy line. Roberta did not realize that they were doing active duty and it scared her so much. Kane could not really explain much to her at the time because they had him under pain medication so he would talk to her another time.

Roberta waited for several days praying that he was alright. Kane spent several weeks getting better and he finally was able to speak to Roberta. Hi my dear how are you, No Roberta said the question is how are you? Kane said I am better but I want be coming home any time soon. As soon as I am 100 percent better I am back out there. Kane do you think getting back out there is good, I mean I worry about you constantly.

I understand how you feel Roberta but this is my life and being here has taught me so much about being a man. When we were in high school we talked about the possibility of me having to be sent off to the service and the government recruiting men into the field. I understand Kane but did not realize how much you men had to go through. Yes this all happened that year 1983, Kane had to be over seas for two years and they continued to hold on to what was so important to them.

The events of that year took them around and around and back again. He was scared when the incident happened. He did not tell Roberta he had lost one of his legs. He got caught up trying to save another fellow soldier and got shot several times. He tried several times coming out with the incident but did not know how to tell her. Roberta is a strong woman but he felt this would really put a strain on their relationship.

Kane went through extensive physical therapy over several months to get in touch with not having a leg. He was fitted with a prosthetic leg and went through mental healing as well. Even though he told Robert he would be getting back into the field he would be heading home. He tried his best to come to terms with this situation.

Roberta and Kane wrote quite a bit in the several months. Every time he wrote he wanted to come clean about what truly happened but he felt he would work hard to at least do what ever he could to stay in the service. He knew this would help so much to have the family he truly wanted. Desk jobs, cutting potatoes, feeding the troops called for more than he could handle.

He longed to be back into the field, but God has a plan for us all and he had something more for Kane. Roberta knew there was something going on but because they was so far apart she did not want to add any more to the distance they were was facing. She stayed busy and she stayed prayerful.

She never wrote anyone as much as she did but this is the only way that kept her from going crazy while Kane was away. She felt there was more going on that Kane was not telling her, but in time he will. She just could not let herself get so upset about things but to put it all in Gods hand and he will tell her when he was ready

Kane felt Roberta deserved all he could give her. When he first told her that he was going away for a few years she was so sad but knew he was a free spirit and he needed to be a man. High school is the end and the beginning of a new life and he wanted to share it with Roberta. If he had not went would life had prepared him for being a husband or father and being the man he needed to be for Roberta.

I was immature thought I had it going on in high school. Met Roberta at a basement dance and we were together ever since. I was not going to take no for an answer and I had to be with her but never thought I would be facing this when I set off to be the man I needed to be for her.

I had talked to Roberta and discussed that I might be coming home soon. She was so excited but I still had not told her the changes to expect. I did tell her do to my injury they had awarded me a medal for bravery. That is an honor since I had only been in the service for a short time. Well, Kane said, I am going home and I will do all I can do with God as on my side to get us through this.

To his surprise,Roberta was very understanding. They went through so much that year in 1983 and beyond and she was not going to let go. That goes to show you, no matter what you may face in life, just take the time to know how much you are blessed.

Roberta was very upset that he could not talk to her but they were so young and so much they needed to still understand about life and communication.

The event of 1983 and years after gave them both a better look on life and knowing that our plans is not God plans and things will work out for the good.

June 19, 2021 14:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mellanie Crouell
03:18 Jun 27, 2021

Awesome story! We don't often know what's ahead. We just know what we desire to give others we love. Sometimes God agenda is set to see are we willing to sacrifice.

Reply

Robin Simon
01:39 Jun 28, 2021

Thank you so much. I have not won the 50 bucks yet but I am going to keep on writing. God bless

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.