What's done in the dark always comes to light

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Adventure Fiction

In a small town of Pasadena, there lived a man named James Ejay. Ejay was a very wise man who had the smarts of a philosopher. He read the most powerful books, and he stood for world peace. Always willing to help the needy. He owns a small barbershop on the corner of a quiet street.  Ejay doesn’t know that he would soon take his last breath, and neither does he know, he will get a chance to see the future and witness how he would be remembered. He was an outdoor wilderness man. He enjoyed camping out, even though he had a huge house and stocks and bonds. Something about living and surviving in nature attracts him. He’d camp for weeks and weeks. Surviving on fish and campfires’ warmness. A wise soul who wasn’t afraid of anything. He lived his life freely. This is the main reason why he and his ex-wife Sharon separated. She claimed he was selfish and only cared about his own needs. His ex-wife was tall, blonde, and 10 years younger than he was, but she left long ago, so he lived alone, in his big house with a  4x4 truck, and a pet golden retriever named Sam. James Ejay was a rational person who didn't believe in magic or the hocus pocus Junk. One day Ejay was walking and finds a stick. A plain wooden stick, he picks it up and continues walking. While walking he mutters to himself, “I wish I didn’t have to sit for hours fishing. I wish the fish would just come to me,” he chuckled. The moment he says those words the stick falls out of his hands accidentally and a pile of fish appears in a bag. Ejay is astonished. He quickly takes the bag of fish and heads home. He and his dog Sam had a nice fish and potato salad meal. After dinner, Ejay begins to talk to his dog, Sam. “When you get to be my age boy and your life is lived and all you have is memories or regrets. Sometimes I wish I were dead just to see what the folks around here thought about me.” Sam raised up with the stick in his mouth. Ejay says, ”Wait.. boy give me the stick.” But it was too late, the stick fell from the dog's mouth and Ejay’s wish about being dead became true. Ejay had lots of family, but he always felt like a loner. Ejay's body was found by police next to a river. The police contacted his brother Eric, and Eric told the people of the town. "My brother Ejay is dead but no one is to blame, my brother is a cuke. He has always been crazy. Police found him near a river. He probably tried to drown himself and died before he reached the river.” Ejay was dead but was watching over Pasadena. He heard every bad word people had to say about him. He and his brother didn’t speak much, but he was hurt by the words his brother had just uttered. “A cuke ain’t the word more like a nut,” says Ejay’s ex-wife. Eric chuckles and says, “My brother is an educated fool and everyone knows it. Who would abandon their house to live in the wilderness, or live like he is poor when he has a mansion and 75 acres of land?”

A short lady of the town says, "I thought he stood for world peace and was a wonderful man?”  Eric says, “ He stood for something, and it was the king of the cukes.” “Silence,” says an older man named Charlie. “Ejay was a humble man, he really lived his life freely, the way he wanted to. Everyone else in this town is just living to please everyone else. He took risks, did the things he wanted to do, and never feared. What a great and honest man was he." “If you say so,” claimed Eric. What are you doing with yourself the older man asked Eric.  “Huh,” Eric responded. “Maybe you are mad because you gambled your house and car away and now say in an apartment. And how about your wife or are yall still together since the last time she wanted to leave you because you drink too much,” says Charlie. Eric becomes heated, “This is not about me.”  Deep down inside Eric knew those words were true, all this time he had been jealous of his own brother Ejay and as far as Sharon, Ejay’s wife, she was just a pessimist who could find bad in a whole pile of good. Is the glass half empty or is it half full kind of people. Ejay thought he had lived his life and knew everything there was to know about life, but he didn’t know he would ever see the day his own brother and ex-wife would have so much to say. His mom and dad were deceased now, but they both thought very highly of Ejay, so I guess you can say that’s where Eric’s anger had come from.  The old man Charlie mutters, your brother Ejay wrote a Will about 5 years ago and I would like to read it. “I, James Ejay, leave my house, my dog, and half of my bank account to my wife Sharon, and I leave the other half of my bank account and my barbershop to my brother Eric.” James Ejay was standing in the middle of the crowd listening to the conversation when Sam tugged at his leg. “Hey boy,” Ejay replied, “how can you see me?” Sam replied, “Wolf when I accidentally dropped the wooden stick and you wished you were dead, I wished that wherever you go I would be close to you. So when you died, I died too.” Ejay rubbed Sam’s head, “My little buddy I love you.” After everyone finished the discussion about Ejay, they all went home. Have you ever heard of the saying, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Karma is very real and one thing about it, it always comes back around. Ejay’s brother Eric takes the long walk going home. While walking home, Eric discovers a wooden stick and picks it up….what will happen next? Stay tuned for a truth coming to light.

April 30, 2021 22:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

NK Hatendi
00:26 May 10, 2021

An unusual read packed with characters! You might want to revisit your use of tense in the early part of the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.