2 comments

Romance Western

"Tonight is going to be the best night ever"! Valarie shouted with so much excitement in her tone, she had been jumpy throughout the day, selecting clothes and shoes that she felt would be lovely on her, just a stone throw away, her friend, Mandy, seemed to not pay attention to all the ruckus going on in the room, she sat on a sofa with a bowl of popcorns in her hands and was watching a TV show, "girl don't tell me that you aren't going out tonight" Valarie said as she noticed her friend was just on the sofa and wasn't even sharing in her excitement "you should know Valarie, I'm not interested" Mandy shot back as muched on a popcorn, Valarie paused for a minute as she stared at her friend and just in two minutes, she grabbed her wrist and pulled her off the sofa, "Valarie what is this"? Mandy lamented as she wore a frustrating look on her face "today you are going out and you got no excuses" Valarie said as she dragged Mandy to the wardrobe, Mandy couldn't get an excuse not to go out and Valarie wasn't going to take any either, after hours of push and pulls, the ladies got dressed and headed straight to the cab which they called for.

The party was lit and it was quite classy with beautiful classical music playing in the background, Valarie's company was having a little party to celebrate the end of a successful month and she wouldn't miss it for anything, "so how is the party"? Valarie asked Mandy "well it's not as bad as I thought" Mandy replied as she nonchalantly looked away, Valarie looked at her best friend and shook her head "nothing ever excites you" Valarie whispered as she jumped down from her seat and went to greet other employees, Mandy continued to stare into the dark night sky as she sipped her glass of wine, "do you mind me having a seat"? A voice asked from behind Mandy's shoulders "sure" she responded nonchalantly as she continued her gaze into the dark clouds, "sorry to disturb you, but won't it be great if we had a little conversation"? The voice asked again, Mandy was getting pissed off at this point and turned to give the mysterious stranger a piece of her mind "look here I....." just then she grasped and couldn't say a word, the strange guy was in shock too and his eye widened "Richard is this really you"? Mandy managed to ask still in utter disbelieve.

"What are you doing here"? Richard asked in curiosity, "my friend's company is hosting a party so she brought me along" Mandy replied as she still stared at him wide eyed, "well I am the CEO of this company I just decided to be part of today's party since I'm hardly around" Richard said as he took a glass of wine from the tray of one of the stewards passing by, "it's been a long time, you didn't change at all" Richard said as he fixed his eyes on Mandy "yeah, same with you" she replied trying to avoid his gaze "we have a lot to talk about" Richard said "no we don't" Mandy shot back with so much fury in her voice "you left me and ran off and now after five years you want to talk"? Mandy continued this time it wasn't just fury, but tears were beginning to creep in, "Mandy listen" Richard said as he tried to hold her hands but she flung it off and walked out, Richard followed her almost immediately till they got to a spot away from the party arena, then Mandy stopped and turned back "don't you dare follow me"! she yelled as she pointed her finger at him as a warning sign, Richard stood frozen on his tracks and Mandy turned her back at him, there was silence for some minutes then suddenly Richard fell on his knees, "Mandy I know you probably hate me right now but sweetheart just hear me out for a minute" Richard said still on his knees there was a little silence for a while, "just one minute is all I will ever give you" Mandy finally responded, Richard got of his knees and began to say his side of the story "I really wanted to make a better life for us, I didn't want to marry you and subject you to any form of hardship, you know I had a family to carter for too, one day the opportunity to have a better life came, I got a job in this company and I wanted to go for it, we argued about it because you wouldn't let me travel out of town...", "so you decide to leave me right"? Mandy interrupted "no I didn't, I wrote you several letters telling you to come with me and also the place you would meet me if you decided to go with me, I also told your mother to relay the message to you, but I never heard from you again, I waited for you but you didn't even come around, I felt you had made up your mind and so I travelled" Richard responded, Mandy slowly turned back "mum said you told her that you were leaving for good and I should move on, I never got any letters from you either, why couldn't you reach out to me all these years"? Mandy asked in between tears, "baby I lost contact with you, I travelled back home to search for you but I couldn't see you anymore, Mandy I am really sorry" Richard replied as he reach further to hold her, Mandy on the other hand fell into his arms and began to cry profusely "I missed you Richard, it's been hard trying to get over everything, it's really been hard" Mandy managed to whisper despite the tears in her voice "I am very sorry for everything Mandy, and I'm glad I got to see you again" Richard said passionately as he kissed her forehead, "I love you Mandy" Richard whispered, Mandy turned her gaze at him and he leaned forward and gave her a warm but passionate kiss, Mandy couldn't resist it as she swung her arms around his neck, after some minutes of kissing, Richard pulled out gently and got on his knees "baby, can we start over"? He asked as her stared into her eyes, Mandy let out a smile "it would be wonderful to start again with you" Mandy replied, Richard stood up and gave her a hug "thank you for giving me another chance" he whispered to Mandy who in turn held him tightly while they hugged, Valarie stood at a corner as she watched them, she smiled to herself and went back to enjoy the rest of the party.

February 18, 2021 10:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hawz Kay
01:08 Feb 19, 2021

Lovely

Reply

Grace Sam Awa
11:16 Feb 20, 2021

Thank you so much😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.