0 comments

General

It was three years… Three years since Ludwig has left his home to protect the most beloved one. Countless dangers, journey that seemingly had no end. Who counted, how many times did he lean towards “Dead end”? What he had to overcome…

But it was over. With last prayers said and last gravestone placed, he was finally free. Bailshmidt’s fate now is sealed in stone by him. Pride of his name is now shining like nowhen before.

It… Had some effect on Ludwig. Earlier he never even thought about family’s pride and past, that always lurks around. Back then, it was just a metaphor. And right now…

Yeah, three years did something to him.

Maybe, he is just tired? Endless hunt surely can wear out anyone. Just a cup of tea and hugs from the loved ones would be enough. Agnes shall be around eight right now. Probably, she is going to school. So grown…

Ludwig smirked a little, trying to hide tears in his eyes. Even so, he couldn’t help but laugh. Only three more minutes and train will arrive at the station of his homeland. The very place, where he found everything he could dream of. There, without any doubt, shouldn’t be any more problems. Right?

Bailshmidt’s residence stayed mostly the same. Well, after all, Margaret shall be around and take care of it. Moreover, Gil earlier said that someone from family will come to meet us. Yet, lazy-bone disappeared somewhere, leaving Ludwig all by himself. Not that it matters, just… It feels uncomfortable, after overcoming all these moments full of despair, to split up. Stupid, at least.

Well, that is Gilbert we are talking about. Probably he decided to visit his favorite bar and tell very intriguing story while drinking glass of wine. He deserved it.

And Ludwig definitely deserved peace and quiet. Even one single day.

Hear his daughter’s laugh and see her deep blue eyes… Kiss beloved wife and say, that everything finally came to an end.

“I am home”, — he is staying in front of a door, still trying to regain consciousness. What words will suit his arrival most? “Honey, I’m home”? Or “Guess, who is back”? Of course, it is not necessity. He can just walk in, hung his coat, and come to the living room. But where is fun in it? — “Dear, come here for a hug treatment!” — he finally said something, opening door with burst of energy.

Surprisingly, mansion was silent. Completely: there weren’t any noise from radio or TV, kitchen was… very much empty. It is totally understandable, that workers might take a day off, but family? They must be around, right?

Half of an hour has passed… Still no trace of humans. Like they just disappeared.

“Maybe they are having a day off? It’s… Thursday” — Ludwig sighs, sitting back on the couch. Terrifying feeling laid somewhere inside him. Like and egg that will never hatch, but only gain weight. And once all suspicions will be unraveled, it will explode, destroying everything.

He tried to call them before. At first year of his journey, when Ivan was defeated and Agnes, pretty much, saved, Margaret always took calls, and sometimes gave daughter an opportunity to talk.

Second year… She became busy and answered calls sometimes. Despite fact, that Agnes got better, it was too early to come back. Ludwig understood it the moment he heard. Margaret, on the other hand…

Like that, three years have passed. Ludwig had no idea, what happened back home. It seems pretty much, as before. Agnes’s room changed very little, gaining some more girlish look. And every other stayed the same.

“The number you’ve reached has been disconnected. No further information is available at the moment” — that was only words his phone was saying for the current moment. Anxiety only grew, slowly taking every single light spot from inside.

Memories of the past… Beliefs… Dreams… Everything went dark.

Ludwig takes his family photo outside the wallet. Here they are, having fun at amusement park. Agnes is four, Margaret looks very happy. And himself… Despite very strict appearance, he still can be soft. Just like here, where he held his daughter on hands. Even so an ice-cream fell on his T-shirt, Ludwig was smiling, if not laughing.

For some reason, this photo, which saved his soul hundreds of times before, now is causing pain. Indirectly, like a curse…

Curse?

“Bailsmidts’s destiny is to fight against evil. Sometimes, sacrificing everything we loved and praised” — that was grandfather’s words. Words from stories, told decades ago.

Only now he realized, how painful that is.

Ludwig thought, real challenge is to save the world and his family. To overcome all friends lost during journey and turn out victorious at the end.

Who knew, his “winning” would end like that?

***

           He has been sitting on the couch for hours. It was middle of the night, but he couldn’t fell asleep. He was sure, that they have a solid reason to be somewhere else.

 It is cold and dark in here. Only his breath actually makes this place somewhat “living”. Ludwig… He has no power to get up and light the fireplace or even lights, which is easier.

Sometimes, when he hears a crackle, he turns his head to the main corridor. No, it’s just wind. Nevermind.

Tears have dried on his face completely. He must be stronger than this. He survived literal vampires and death. He came back from the grave and even brought brother back.

He… he can’t just die here, right?

Right?..

Door crackled. Now, for real. Gilbert, after a long night, arrived at mansion. Things, he saw, really surprised and… Terrified him, unlike any other before.

His little brother was sitting at the couch with table pulled closer to it. Three knives were laying on it and even more were stuck in the walls.

Gil tried to pull them off with vines, but they didn’t budge even for a millimeter. It seems, that Ludwig used his power to throw them. But why?

After a little research, with help of mental scan, Gilbert found whiskey bottle. It was drained to the bottom and thrown away, shattered in glass pieces.

Hard to say, what made Ludwig do this, but, it seems, that he is alive. Well, drunk, lost, furious, but alive. Despite fact, that something inside of his heart seemingly died, he was totally fine.

Thankfully, he didn’t burn the house. Hard to say, where these piles of ash came from. Looks like, he burned some papers.

That… Doesn’t really matter. 


May 16, 2020 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.