To Lay It As It Plays

Submitted into Contest #206 in response to: Write about someone facing their greatest fear.... view prompt

30 comments

Inspirational Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction

There’s something terribly pretentious about a poem, but there’s no better voice in which to tell us when it all started than a poet’s voice.

It started with the joyful wisdom and some dismally smart hypochondriac who hypothesized the death of divinity as well as the related curious notion that everything recurs. 

It started with him, Freddie, and with Stevie, some wheelchair-bound brainiac, who wrote a book claiming that in the instant before time and space commence, all matter is undifferentiated.

One numerological year before a brief history was written, that’s us born from undifferentiated matter into a now-extinct hospital in a country whose flag is now on the verge of extinction because people who once insisted on being called Negro and queens (but are currently called Blackish and Queer) now insist on having things done Burger King style and not Sinatra our way.

That’s us on a Rampart District veranda at the tender age of two dressed in drag by our older female cousins who didn’t know then that at the age of 30 (and several times thereafter) we’d have some serious gender identity issues.

And that’s us at the feral age of five consuming an entire bottle of children’s Tylenol even though we knew we shouldn’t. We greedily gobbled juvenile acetaminophen because the tablets tasted good. We did it not knowing that we’d fess up to our mom who’d rush us to the hospital to have our stomach pumped.

And that hypochondriac who started it all may have been an anti-Christ, but G-d knows we were born again before we were baptized and were baptized before we were born again at First Baptist school in Huntington Park. 

And this is us tomorrow: innocently suicidal at age 55, because we’re wanting to die, but don’t want the dirty work to be done by our own hand.

But we digress, or regress. We recur, or return, to say we’re grateful we remember what lies ahead only in glimpses or snatches. 

And we thank the dead divinity for that because recalling the future only to repeat it would be an exercise in madness. As long as forgetting is an antonym for futile it isn’t a synonym for futile.

There are some things, however, we won’t render to the antonym of futility.

We can’t forget when we first saw blonde Shannon’s abundant body, or when brunette Natasha first tantalizingly took our breath.

We can’t forget when we told Chris that if we were to kiss a man, we wouldn’t mind kissing Mikey, and can’t forget when our hand was on the cock of an undergrad (or was it the male undergrad grasping our cock?).

We can’t forget when we sent a manuscript of a dissertation that could’ve earned us a Ph.D. to Paul, but because we had betrayed him and had made his shit list and were in an insane asylum, the best he could do was write a letter forbidding us to write for him ever again.

And there are other more recent things we can’t forget.

Like us escaping from a recovery home in the rehab riviera because some childish adult wouldn’t clean up after himself, or participate in the program like everyone else was obligated to. This was the same adolescent grown-up who smoked like a vampire bat and blasted trap from the living room tv at inconvenient hours of the day; the same immature mature person who didn’t agree to a gentlemanly three knockdown rule fight when we challenged him to one in the parking lot of another uneventfully delusional A.A. meeting.

So, because our imagination had made this same puerile person into a monster and we were buzzing on Natural American Spirits and cold cowardice, that’s us again, climbing over fences, being hunted by police helicopter searchlights, setting a rubbish bin ablaze like we did in Spain, selling cigarettes on Newport Boulevard to buy a carton of pinot grigio. 

And even though we’ve tried but haven’t jumped from a pier into the ocean several times before, that’s us avoiding a dive from a pier into the ocean (again), and us hotfooting it to our sister’s house, whereon we meet some damsel we suppose is in unspoken distress and who’s walking a miniature collie she calls “Bindi” back to her apartment. Later, when we’re sitting in jail (again), we assume Bindi is short for “been there done that.” 

And that’s us (before we’re sitting in jail [again]) making it to our sister’s house, socking Manny’s eye socket loose (because we somehow think he’s pandering our youngest nephew to vagrants who resemble Chuckie), and, yes, that’s us running from a bat-crazy brother-in-law, and from curious back bay coyotes, and from police whose lives only barely matter to many brooding types today.

And this is us tomorrow: still aimlessly striving for epic tragedy amidst amnesia. Still lazily overcome by lackluster comedy and anhedonia. Still Snoop doggedly dogged by chronic schizophrenia. And wanting to end it all, wanting to know how it all ends, wanting to write our own end-all, because we already know how it all started, and feeling the desire to control one’s own fate so that one doesn’t fear it is only human-all-too-human.

And this is what we desire today:

To feel that some parts of us are destined for greatness. Destined to linger in the memory of loved ones (and if we’re unlucky, in the recall of strangers) after we cease loitering. 

And we long to do something worthy of undying love before the mellifluously cacophonous soundtrack that is life comes to an end, before the acutely collective significance of the phantasmatic phrase, “it was the best of times; it was the worst of times” ceases to signify. 

And before one says, “We’re in it, after all, for the glory,” there comes a time when one must say, “We’re just in it for the return of differentiated matter and the repeated birth of the divinity, for G-d, not glory, for us, not me, because what came before us is, ultimately, what lays before us." 

And we’re all destined to lay it as it plays.

July 11, 2023 05:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Shahzad Ahmad
20:23 Jul 17, 2023

Mike, a great stylistic experimentation. Your language is so fluent and and words are chosen perfectly.Maybe a dash of hope is added if you are talking about futility of life to make it more inspirational (just a comment doesn't,t detract from the merits of the story) The title itself is very creative. Life's journey is described well. In a response you also raised the horror story of AI in which it will consume many jobs also is very relevant in terms of future for writers. Another great piece of writing. Keep the ink flowing!

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:23 Jul 17, 2023

Thank you, Shahzad, for your words of encouragement. I'm inspired to find writers here who have a similar disposition toward existential quandaries. Your contribution this week was bold. I can only implore you to do the same that you ask of me, and keep tapping away at the keys!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:55 Jul 13, 2023

Powerful writing as always. I've been in a bit of low ebb the last few weeks after a disastrous dentist exam and haven't wanted to ponder the unavoidable decay of my teeth and everything else connected to them. But now after having the three root canals completed at least I can focus on writing. "And we long to do something worthy of undying love before the mellifluously cacophonous soundtrack that is life" yes, I think as creative people we all must feel that. To put one masterpiece that inspires people out there to be remembered for. The...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:13 Jul 13, 2023

Thanks very much, Scott. With ongoing development of Chat GPT (and other writing AIs) that will eventually be able to compose brilliant stories in the style of any writer about almost any subject matter in a ridiculous fraction of the time it takes a human to write one, I think stylistic experimentation, along with memoirish lived experience narratives will be the only literary forays that will not be easily simulated by machines. I was trying to address that concern with this piece. Man, I hope you're able to surmount the low that has be...

Reply

05:09 Jul 14, 2023

Thanks for the inspiration! I'll checkout the book, would like to add a bit of sparkle and emotion to my prose. And yes I may write a comedy-of-dentists story in coming weeks. Feeling better now its all over.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:33 Jul 12, 2023

I suspect it is our privilege, as humans, to struggle with meaninglessness. (Certainly, I pity the dolphin that suddenly stumbles into nihilism unprepared.) It's not a fun state of mind, but curiously, it is also what drives a search for meaning, and *that* can get things done. Despite the overbearing weight of it, there's an active fighting in this piece, a willful battle against futility. Maybe that's key, that things really only are futile if we allow them to be. The fact that so much of the fight is tied up in connections to others is ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
21:26 Jul 12, 2023

Yes, Michal, "shouting hope into the nihilist void" is an appropriate descriptive line for this piece. I'm glad it provoked some thought and I'm grateful for your always-insightful commentary. You're welcome, and thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:11 Jul 12, 2023

This tale bites with sharpened teeth and rips with sharpened claws. There is nothing beautiful about it, but it is pure and pristine and breathtaking. The story overwhelms, but I think that's the point. Life can be overwhelming, and it can seem futile and useless because we'll eventually return to differentiated matter. This is as powerful a tale as you've ever written, Mike. I can't praise it enough. Nicely done work on a not-so-nice subject. Cheers!

Reply

Mike Panasitti
16:28 Jul 12, 2023

Thank you, Delbert, for reading and (here I blush) praising my most recent effort. The Off-Beat form of this one made it a pleasure to write. You're the first to make a comment, and for that I'm grateful. Cheers right back to you, friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
03:53 Aug 22, 2023

So very good, and dark and streaming. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
18:42 Aug 22, 2023

Thanks for reading, Hazel. An edited version of this was not so dark. Perhaps someday I can publish it as a narrative poem. Take care.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:16 Jul 21, 2023

very interesting thoughts.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:32 Jul 21, 2023

Was the translation into Japanese any good?

Reply

Aoi Yamato
01:18 Jul 24, 2023

i understood it. i try reading much in english as possible.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:27 Jul 25, 2023

Thank you for reading this story. I hope your English becomes fluent, if that's what you wish for. Take care, Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:48 Jul 26, 2023

the same to you also Mike.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
00:28 Jul 18, 2023

“Snoop doggedly dogged by chronic schizophrenia,” isn’t he snoop lion now? Or is that a previous reincarnation already? So the premise of this piece is the cyclical nature of reality. What has been will be again. What will be has been?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:20 Jul 18, 2023

Snoop dog, snoop lion, a snoop regardless. Yeah, the seeming cyclical nature of life is haunting me of late. The point is to aspire for better so that if you "change" things, they repeat themselves according to your willpower rather than according to self-defeating passivity that makes you the victim of other superimposing wills...or something like that. The problem comes when unexpected ill befalls one because of willfully chosen paths, like in your superheroes' story... Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:56 Jul 18, 2023

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
14:26 Sep 06, 2023

You gave me a great recommendation for Number 9 Dream. I’m reading Meantime by Frankie Boyle and it seems so up your street it’s waiting for you on the doorstep when you get home. You should check it out.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:49 Sep 06, 2023

Hey, Graham. I thought you had gone above and beyond the Reedsy buddy call. I was looking forward to having a new, highly recommended book when I got home : ( I will check out Boyle’s book, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:01 Sep 07, 2023

I cheated and went for the audiobook but if you’re not familiar with Glasgow accents that might make it harder to understand.I’m still trying to write for Reedsy but editing a book in the end stages of a book coaching course. It’s amazing how much you can hate a story you loved if you have to stare at it long enough but I’m trying to push through. I need to be a better reedsy reader as well. I’m falling behind but that also means at some point I can binge, possibly over the holiday when I’m sitting in airports for hours. I hope you’re well a...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:36 Sep 07, 2023

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm not sure when my Reedsy hiatus will end, but get that book done, man! And let me know when it becomes available. Take care, Graham.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
20:18 Jul 23, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:41 Jul 25, 2023

Thanks, Joe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.