What Else is Going On

Submitted into Contest #127 in response to: Write about a character learning to trust their intuition.... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction

The buzzing in my body was getting louder, what was coming was big. I clenched the steering wheel tighter, I had to be ready. I was driving slowly, hunched over, looking around at the quiet tree-lined street. The last time I had this buzzing sensation I was fired from my job. The anticipation was like a thick cloud, what did it mean? Trying to find a safe place to park, I scanned the street, looking for a spot where I could see all of my surroundings. I rationally knew it did not matter. Where I park my car is not going to change anything. Still, I looked out for the danger. 

Finally, parked in what looked like the safest spot, I slowly got out, looking around with my head on a swivel. Just a quiet Saturday in Oakland. Not cold, however, I put on my big oversized winter jacket, because it felt right, and started walking toward the address. I had moved to Oakland a few months before following my girlfriend and her new tech job, and my body was still used to warm southern California winters. I really did not want to move, it felt wrong, but after losing my job, I did not have much choice. Not knowing anyone in Oakland, I only had my girlfriend for a social outlet. And she, from here originally, was starting to get annoyed. Lately, though, she was always at work, or out with old friends. My Dad reminded me I had a Great Aunt in the area. I had met her years ago, however, we were never that close to Dad’s side of the family. Needing some family of my own I felt an urge to reach out.  

Aunt Bernie, as she asked me to call her, and I hit it off right away. I had been worried, what would I talk about with this older woman, no matter if we were related or not? She told great stories about my Dad when he was young, and the history of my new city and home. Aunt Bernie works part-time at a tech company start-up downtown, as an admin maybe. She offered to help me get a job there, something about ' ‘blocks’. I laughed and told her I could figure it out on my own. She was fun to talk with as she asked me about my life and now I am invited to her 70th birthday party. I can not believe I am excited about this party, it just feels right and is my own thing. I was going to ask my girlfriend to come, but she had to work so I didn't bring it up. Always at work, that girl, even today, a weekend! Something feels off about that, but at least I am getting out of the house. 

I looked at the paper Aunt Bernie had given me with her address on it, handwritten in tight, formal cursive, on decorative paper. It is hard to read, 1008, or 1108? The neighborhood is of beautiful old Victorian-style homes, decades past their prime. I walked up to 1008, looking at the chipped paint of the large house, and saw a black iron fence surrounding the yard shaded by two huge old maple trees. Only a few lights are on the top floor, is this the party spot? A 70-year-old's birthday party probably won't be that lively. 

My body was still buzzing. Something was going to happen, but what?  I call it my spidey-sense, I know things before they happen, however, I am not sure about what that will be. For most of my life I ignored these feelings, as it is so unpredictable. The first time I met Aunt Bernie, this had come up.

 “So what do you do?”, Aunt Bernie had asked.

“Well,” I said, “I uh, left my last job, and then am in between things right now until I get settled. I have been working as a life coach, off and on. I have found I can help people move forward when they get stuck, I guess that is one way to describe it. I can sense what someone is not saying, to me and to themselves. And once people stop lying to themselves they can move forward.” I explained. 

Most people nod and change the subject. Aunt Bernie’s eyes got big and leaned close. “ I know what you are talking about, “ she said. “I am the same. I call them ‘ my feelings’” she said quietly. “It runs in the family, our gypsy blood.” She whispered conspiratorially.   

“What gypsy blood? I thought we were Irish!?” I asked

“Irish gypsies or Travelers” Aunt Bernie said, knowingly. She nodded at me. “I get my feelings, and I just know what to do. You need to stop ignoring these feelings and grab on to them!” She said, clenching my arm. 

“These feelings though, sometimes they are spot on, and other times, I can not figure out what it means! I call it my spidey-sense. But, when I am not using it with a client, I just ignore it. It is not anything real, right?” 

“You need to listen to your spiders!” Aunt Bernie said. “This is what you need to do”, she went on. “Pay attention! Next time it comes up, look around. You will start to see a pattern, and you can use it! “ She leaned in close as she said this. 

 I looked at Aunt Bernie’s kind and caring, wrinkled face. “Yes, for you Aunt Bernie I will!” I said.

Since that conversation, I have been testing myself. I went to the market by my house and used my spidey-sense on the Lotto numbers. I am paying attention when these feelings come up, most of the time. I still can not tell what exactly is coming. And I didn't match a single number. 

Just this morning I had a client who could not see what was in front of her face. Nancy was going on and on about a fight she was having with her husband over a chair and table set. He liked it, she didn’t. Nancy loved to talk and leaves no room for me to coach. She is my girl’s cousin though, so I give her more allowances than I should. Today she was fired up! I was at her house for the session, and she was so mad, she stopped in the middle to get her husband to come in and show off the chair! He was much younger and looked vaguely familiar with his slim frame, close-cropped beard, and bright eyes. My spidey-sense went into overdrive as he walked in holding up the ridiculously pretentious high-backed chair. Something is off with the chair? I had to get the session back on track, this isn't the home shopping network!

I ushered the husband out and started over. I knew the chair fight was just a cover for something else not being discussed. She paused, and I was able to ask my favorite question- “Nancy, what else is going on?” That threw her off and she told me she thought her husband was spending too much time at his work. I knew that was not it, so I asked again- “What else is going on?” Finally, I saw her whole body slump, and she teared up. I knew she was ready. “I think my husband is cheating on me, ” Nancy sobbed. 

 All that storming on about a chair, and really it was about an affair! I knew there was something else. I am good at sensing with other people, however, when it concerns me, everything gets muddled.  

I stand in front of 1008, and it does not feel right. I get the image of Snow White’s Castle and danger? Makes no sense so instead, I focus on getting in. The black gate has a complicated latch. Eventually, I pop it open, and the gate swings in. I take a few steps into the overgrown front lawn, covered with fallen maple leaves. Now the buzzing is even louder, I take Aunt Bernie's advice and pause to pay attention. This pause saved my life- another step and I would have been a goner. 

The moist smell of decomposing leaves and rotting wood is the first sense I get. The second is the sight of the faded and worn steps, also covered with leaves and the peeling paint of the exterior walls. Aunt Bernie is not the kind of person to have a house with unswept steps. She has always been so neat and composed when I have met her. The third sense is the sound of a large animal’s steps from the side of the house, along with a growl. 

 I see a blur of brown and gray coming toward me across the yard, low and fast. The snarling jaws of the huge dog are open and dripping saliva and my body doesn't seem able to move. I am going to get eaten by this dog. Aunt Bernie never said anything about a dog! 

My feet slip on the wet leaves, I would have never made it if I had gone in further. At the last second, I am able to turn, step back and lift up my arm to grab the open gate to shut it. The dog closes the last 10 feet in one leap! I watch the snarling jaws coming directly at me. I feel the dog's hot breath! The dog’s jaws attack my forearm, and I hear a rip. The large german shepherd had bitten down on my puffy jacket sleeve, the extra material caught in his mouth and he missed my arm. My sleeve has torn off, and now it is being shaken madly in the dog's jaws. That could have been my arm! I take a step back and slam the gate closed. 

“Hey, you!” - I hear from the side yard. An old man comes out, wearing a thick sweater over a flannel shirt and some jeans. His thinning gray hair sticks out in all directions from his red face. He holds up a cane threateningly.

 “What are you doing! Stay out of my yard! “ He yells as he walks up.

“Your dog- attacked me! “ I huff, I was out of breath from the anxiety. “I am here for Aunt Bernie’s party,” I say and put my head down and my hands on my knees to try and calm down. My whole body is sweating and my legs are shaking

“Bernie? You mean Bernie Jones? She doesn't live here.”

“This isn’t 1008? “ I ask

The german shepherd sits on its haunches and drops my jacket sleeve at its owner's feet like a retrieved duck. The owner pats him absentmindedly on the head.  

“Bernie Jones lives on the next block, 1108. Why did you open the gate- didn't you see the sign?” The man points. 

  I look to a large Beware of Dog sign on the fence. I did not pay attention to that. 

“Uh, but your dog!? “ I say still leaning over. The man just looks at me, this isn't going anywhere.

I stand up and ask “You know Bernie, can you point out her house? I thought I had the address, but I guess not,” I held up the letter from Aunt Bernie.  

 The man looks at it and pulls out his own matching one from a pocket.  

“You are going to her party? Well, I am going too. I can walk with you.” he says. 

He picks up my jacket sleeve, “Stay Princess!”, he says, “you are a good girl!”

He opens the gate and hands me the ripped sleeve. “Uh, here. My name is Bill. How do you know Bernie?”

I explain the family relationship.  

Bill says “ I am looking forward to this party, I want to check out her house. Everyone in the neighborhood thinks she has treasure stashed in that old house of hers, I heard it could be gold!” Bill says his eyes wide. 

“Uh, I haven't heard that?” I say. I do not know how to respond to this. My spidey-sense was right, I knew something was going to happen. I paid attention and still was attacked by a devil dog named Princess! 

“Oh yeah, something is going on, all the neighbors know the rumors, she must have a treasure horde the way she spends money fixing up her house. I am going to get to the bottom of it! “ Bill said as we crossed the street to the next block. 

We get to Aunt Bernie’s house and I can tell right away this is her house. The white picket fence gate is already open and we walk up to wooden steps, white insteps with burgundy red on top. The elaborate trim on the house is three different colors, white and green to go along with the burgundy, over light blue walls. The house is the only one I have seen that looks well taken care of.  I can see a good number of people inside through the tall thin windows. We walk up the steps and nod to several people sitting on benches on the wide porch. “The door is open,” they say, “What happened to your jacket?” 

I ignore them and follow Bill as he opens the large etched front door and walks in. As we go in, my spidey-sense is still buzzing, and I try to shake it off. You already warned me! Still, though, I have a feeling, and I can not tell if it is an after-effect of my near-death experience or something else. I take off my jacket as we walk through small room after small room filled with amazing paintings and decorative furnishings looking for Aunt Bernie. I am shocked to see so many people in the house and unexpectedly, many my age. Bill turns to a back corner and introduces me to a group of older folks, most are neighbors or friends from the community. 

“Has anyone seen Bernie?” Bill asks.   

“You know Bernie is always in the kitchen”, an older woman says.

While Bill is talking, I notice one young woman nearby who feels familiar. I walk over to her and ask ‘Hello, have we met before? “

As soon as she speaks I recognize Wilma, who works with my girlfriend. “Wilma! ”I shout. I am excited to see someone I know. Wilma looks upset at seeing me and looks around quickly. “Betty’s boyfriend right?” Wilma asks. 

“Yes, What are you doing here?” I ask.  

I see now she is in a knot of other people who are all looking at each other suspiciously. 

“Well, a couple of reasons,” she says, “ I live nearby and, um…why are you here?”  

“Oh, Aunt Bernie is my great-aunt! “ I say enthusiastically.

 The group looks shocked, “your Aunt!? “ Wilma asks? They all turn their attention to me. Another person says “We love Bernie. “ We are always excited when she comes into the office. She brings in amazing baked cookies and cakes, and always has fresh flowers.”

To keep the conversation going I say, “So, I just met another neighbor, Bill, see over there? and his dog, and isn't this crazy, he thinks that Aunt Bernie has a treasure hidden away in this old house. Can you believe it!”  

 I say this with a laugh, however, the group does not laugh along. 

“Aunt Bernie has treasure all right!” someone says, and now it is their turn to laugh. Wilma looks at me and says “ You know your Aunt is rich right?”

“ Uh,” I stammered, rich? “Well I know she inherited some money from my um, great grandfather,” I say, trying to act like I know something about my family. “But uh, what do you mean, rich?” I ask

“The company we work for deals in block-chain technology,” Wilma says, “and your Aunt Bernie was big on it, really early. She said she had a feeling, and invested heavily in bit-coin before crypto was even a thing. That is why she is on our Board. “

“Your Board!” I gasp. “I thought she was a part-time secretary!?”

“ Oh no, Berne is our Board Treasurer and she knows her stuff. She should talk to her about it.” Wilma said encouragingly. “But uh, maybe another time! Why don't you go outside, and I‘ll try to find your Aunt for you “ Wilma said. Something about Wilma feels off, but I don't have time to think about it now. I need to find Aunt Bernie! I realize I don't know anything about her and wonder how I could have missed that. 

“No, I think she is in the kitchen, I’ll find her!” I say and head off further into the house.   

 I get lost in the big house, though I finally make it to the kitchen and see Aunt Bernie facing me, talking to a couple, who I can only see the back of. The man is holding the woman affectionately, close by the shoulders. They are both laughing together. Wilma is there too and, what is she doing, is she waving me away?

My spidey-sense is now in overdrive, and all I can think about is my Aunt Bernie is rich, and maybe this means Aunt Bernie can hook me up with a job, or even some of her Bit-coin. Is this what I am sensing? My prospects are looking up! 

I ignore Wilma’s frantic motions to leave and walk up to the group, I need to talk to Aunt Bernie. As I get closer to the woman she and my eyes meet. 

 “I thought you were at work,” I say in monotone. 

 Betty’s face drops in shock. Now I get it, I understand what my spidey-sense was trying to tell me. 

The man holding her close turns and I see his slim frame, close-cropped beard, and bright eyes.  

“You know,” I say, “ Nancy is right. She should get rid of that chair” 

January 07, 2022 18:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Harlow Jones
02:31 Jan 18, 2022

Hi, Marty! I really enjoyed reading this story. My favorite parts were the plot and last line. It was really smart. However, some of the dialogue didn't feel natural to me. It helps me to read the story aloud or use a read-aloud app/software. That way, I can listen while reading. Also, there were some typos, but those are easy fixes. Keep up the great work!

Reply

Marty B
18:45 Jan 18, 2022

Thanks for reading the story, I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
23:19 Nov 04, 2022

Yo... Do you have a writer's email where we could say things like "thanks Marty"... Or send you an invite to a discord chat, like minds. tpgoround@gmail.com

Reply

Tommy Goround
04:16 Nov 11, 2022

Or offer you a spot in an anthology... Please offer contact info in bio. "MartLoves2write@gmail" par example. It took me 12 minutes to make one the other day. And I am old.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.