2 comments

Fiction Drama Speculative

Cass expected an ordinary day with her books and coffee. Then, she saw it. Official Notice. TRUST Directive. The notification hung menacingly to the decorative glass inset of the wooden door. Cass rolled her eyes as she snatched the nauseating yellow notice off the door. As it loomed over her thoughts, her methodical routine of preparing the store comforted her less than usual. Every morning, her body moved through the store, completing each task. 


Odyssey Books, her beloved sanctuary, had just turned five years old. The familiar smell of books reassured her as she threw the hateful paper on the counter and set down her coffee. I guess I should read the dreadful thing. She skimmed the document, ignoring the government-speak when the shopkeeper’s bell on the front door pulled her out of the daze. It was Renny. He was on time, as usual. Renny had started working for her three years ago. She enjoyed his company and conversations. They had quickly become best friends, bonding over their shared interests that were now being banned.


“What’s that?” Renny asked, as he set his stuff down behind the counter in his usual spot.


Cass held the repulsive paper up by her fingertips, touching as little of it as possible.


Renny plucked the directive from her hand and read aloud as she grabbed some empty boxes. Cass let a loud sigh escape as she gathered the items that violated the Directive.


Official Notice

TRUST Directive - Phase 3 Implementation

To: Cassandra Veritas

Subject: Mandatory Removal of Unauthorized Books


To uphold social harmony and maintain the integrity of public information, the Compliance Enforcement Division (CED) hereby informs you that the Transparency and Regulatory Understanding for Social Tolerance (TRUST) Directive has now entered Phase 3.


Phase 3 mandates the immediate removal of all unauthorized materials (list attached) from your property.


Effective immediately, you are required to comply with the following orders:

  1. Surrender Unauthorized Materials: You must surrender all materials listed in the attached document as unauthorized to the CED within 24 hours.
  2. Customer Reporting: It is necessary to document and report any attempt by customers to purchase, order, or inquire about unauthorized materials to the CED. This includes recording the customer’s name, contact information, and details of the request.

Failure to comply with these orders will result in severe penalties. Your cooperation is mandatory for the well-being of our society. For questions or further clarification, please contact your assigned CED representative.

With strict authority,

The Compliance Enforcement Division (CED)


Note: Keep this document for your records and ensure compliance with all listed directives. This notice is part of a larger directive to safeguard our community’s social and informational integrity.


This time, the bell announced an older gray-haired man, a regular, who visited about once a month. Cass’ gaze lingered on him long enough for their eyes to meet. She gave a nod of acknowledgment. Before the front door closed, a young blonde woman entered and cast a nervous glance in Cass’s direction. Cass gave the same nod she gave multiple times a day. Her regular customers knew this nod meant she was there to help when they needed her, but she wouldn’t pester them. They appreciated that.


Cass returned to her burden and removed some titles off the classics shelf, cradling them in her arms as if comforting long-time friends while saying goodbye. She filled another box with various non-fiction titles.


“What are you doing?” Renny ran over and carried the boxes to the counter for her.


“Boxing up the books on the list of unauthorized materials,” raising her hands to make air quotes around “unauthorized materials” and exaggerating the words.


“No, we need to fight it! They are taking away our rights.” Renny slammed his hand on the counter, startling her.


Despite knowing he was right, what options did she have to alter the situation? People had tried fighting it before it passed, yet somehow, it still went into effect.


Cass looked into Renny’s eyes, tears welling up in her own eyes. “I know, but it’s out of our hands. We must do what they say, and maybe they will leave us alone.”


The older man set down his stack of Western novels. “The TRUST Directive is an effective solution against all this fake news. Back in my day, you could trust the news. I’m glad they are making this necessary change. We should be happy that the government will finally do its job and protect us.”


“No, they are stripping away our rights,” the blonde said as she tried to put her stack of romance novels on the counter, causing them to spill over. “They cannot dictate what we talk about. Freedom of speech is literally the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights. It is that important.” 


Renny nodded and started to agree, but the Western reader cut him off. “Oh, you young kids don’t know everything you think you do.”


“I think we should stop discussing this, as arguments over the TRUST Directive could potentially violate the rules. I think future conversations about this should be done in private.” She would have rather discussed it at length but couldn’t jeopardize her bookstore. The customers didn’t respond. She rang them both up and wished them the best. After they departed, she boxed up the last few books on the list of unauthorized materials.


A couple of hours uneventfully passed while Cass and Renny helped the customers who patronized the store. The bell clanged, and Cass jumped in surprise. Five men in black combat gear stormed through the door, their faces obscured by ominous masks and their heavy boots thudding menacingly on the floor. The tallest one approached Cass. “Cassandra Veritas?”


“Yes,” she said, leaning back.


He raised the visor on his helmet and handed her an identical copy of the paper taped to her door earlier that day. “We are with the Compliance Enforcement Division or the CED. We are here to confiscate unauthorized materials, as stated in this official notice.”


“Yes.” Cass pointed to the stack of boxes on the floor. “I’ve already boxed them up. They’re right here.”


“Thank you, ma’am,” he said. “Are you sure you haven’t missed a few?”


Cass clasped her hands together to hide the trembling. “I, uh… don’t think so?” Her voice cracked.


The man straightened. “We are going to look around.” He looked over his shoulder, nodding to the four other men.


Two men left, then came back with boxes and supplies. The five men then stalked through the store, piercing gazes, scrutinizing each book with unsettling intensity.


Cass blinked back the tears forming in her eyes. I can’t watch this, she thought. She grabbed the cleaning basket and went to the bathroom. Isolated from the chaos happening inside her store, she scrubbed the bathroom until it was sparkling. She walked out, wondering what to clean next. That is when she saw her dream destroyed by the CED. They had worked efficiently, boxing up over half of her books in less than an hour—books that had taken her months to collect and arrange on her shelves.


Renny’s face turned red. His clenched fists remained positioned at his sides. “Please don’t get us in trouble, Renny,” she whispered.


“No!” Renny shouted and pointed at the intruders. “This is ridiculous!”


He charged over to the lead agent of the CED. “I thought the TRUST Directive was about stopping discussion of-”


“Don’t say it, or I will arrest you,” the CED agent said.


Renny backed down slightly, but persisted, “What’s the connection between these books and that?”


The agent stated, “The CED has determined that these books could cause potential issues in inciting dissent and will remove them. The CED has full control to determine what materials may or may not be a violation on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions, you may discuss it with your assigned CED representative who will contact you within 24 hours.”


Cass caught the rehearsed tone in his voice. He seemed to be reading a script.


“No! This is bullshit! You are taking over half of her inventory. How should she make a living with you stealing inventory from the store?” Renny yelled, jabbing a finger at the agent.


The CED leader nodded to one of the other agents, who opened his clipboard and pulled out a form. He filled it out in silence. When he was done, he removed one copy, placed it back in his clipboard, and handed the other to Renny. As they left with the remaining boxes of books, the leader wished everyone a good day. Renny gazed down at the citation in his hand.


Renny Mueller - First Violation

This serves as an official citation regarding your violation of the TRUST Directive.

Violation Details:

  • Inciting Dissension: Engaging in hostile behavior and inciting dissent against Official CED Agents during the authorized confiscation of unauthorized materials from Odyssey Books.

Consequences:

First Violation:

Monetary Fine: You are required to pay a fine of $300 within 14 days of receiving this.

Second Violation:

Public Listing: The CED includes you in a public list of dissenters, posts it on a designated website, announces it in the news, and displays it on the wall of the CED building.

Constant Monitoring and Surveillance: CED agents will have you under monitoring and surveillance for a period of no less than 90 days.

Mandatory Reeducation Program: You are required to attend a 14-day reeducation program aimed at promoting compliance with TRUST Directive directives.

Third Violation:

The CED sends you to the Pacific Unity Detention Platform (PUDP) for indefinite isolation, pending review and assessment by the CED authorities.

We advise you to adhere to all directives outlined by the TRUST Directive to avoid further consequences. For questions regarding this citation, please contact your assigned CED representative who will contact you within 24 hours.

The Compliance Enforcement Division (CED)


Over the next few hours, Cass and Renny’s frustration increased while they helped customers who came in. With so few books left, it was difficult finding books the customers would want to read. After all but one customer left, Renny retrieved and reread the citation. “$300? I guess I won’t be getting my new computer as soon as I had planned. This will deplete half of my savings.”


“What will you do with it?” Cass asked. “Since Phase 1 of TRUST went into effect over a month ago, so many websites have been removed. I tried going to a few last week and gave up after seeing the stark white page with ‘Removed for violation of the TRUST Directive’ in big bold letters.”


“I know,” Renny said. “Also, Phase 2 went into effect last month, and all news channels and papers are now owned by the government. I couldn’t find any news that wasn’t government propaganda.”

The last customer placed a book on the counter. “TRUST citation, huh?” he said, nodding at the offensive paper.


“Yeah,” Renny said.


Looking around, the customer spoke quietly. “You really shouldn’t make a scene with them. I got a second citation and had to attend the 14-day reeducation program.”


Cass and Renny listened in silence as he recounted his horrifying 14 days in the program, being held captive in a detention center with no visitors or phone calls.


“It was like living in a nightmare,” he muttered, his gaze drifting to the shelf behind the counter. “They made us watch non-stop propaganda, day in, day out.” He shook his head, as if shaking the traumatizing memories free. “Days blurred together. I swear they savored torturing us.” He rubbed his temples. 


“Sleep? Yeah, right.” He scoffed, a bitter smile tugging at his lips. “Just fleeting moments before someone started yelling distorted truths again.” “Meals were bland, barely enough to sustain us. The mealtime lectures reminded us of our so-called sins against the state.” He sighed heavily, his shoulders slumping. 


“There was no privacy at all. They watched our every move, even in the most private moments.” His eyes darted nervously around the room. “And, if you dared to step out of line, off to isolation you went,” he cleared his throat and continued, “with those damn chants and obedience mantras pounding in your head– ” BOOM! 


The door burst open, and a dozen CED agents stormed in. One of them passed out citations. Cass received one labeled “First Violation.”


Cass looked up, angry, ready to object, and saw an agent slapping handcuffs on Renny. “Renard Mueller. You have now violated the TRUST Directive a second time. Your 14-day stay at our reeducation program starts immediately.” As the CED agent handcuffed the traumatized customer, he said, “You have now committed three violations and are being sent to the PUDP immediately.” They escorted their prisoners out.


Cass stood alone in her store, shocked. How did they know? Listening devices! The bastards must have placed listening devices around the store while searching for the unauthorized materials. I should have kept an eye on them. The situation escalated faster than Cass anticipated. Possible scenarios flashed through her head. How could she effect change on a national level? Finally, she made a decision. The internet and newspapers would do no good at this point. She had to get the word out through more covert means.


After locking the doors, she went to the storage closet. I know it’s in here, she thought. Then she felt the cold plastic of the old Brother AX-25 electronic typewriter. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you, Renny. She placed the typewriter on her desk, scooting the laptop to the side. Not only would the internet be useless, but the CED could have tampered with her laptop. She rolled a piece of paper into place in the typewriter. Hopefully, she could spread awareness of the scope of this issue and help Renny and others who had become victims of the TRUST Directive. She diligently typed her thoughts onto the page for an anonymous newsletter, determined to distribute it far and wide for as long as possible.


The Conspiracy Chronicles

Breaking the Silence: Truth Behind the TRUST Directive


The TRUST Directive, promoted as a safeguard against Flat Earth theories, Chemtrails, and Moon Landing hoaxes, conceals a darker agenda. Beyond its stated goal of quashing conspiracy theories, it aims to systematically suppress any information that might encourage skepticism or critical inquiry.


Despite official assurances, the TRUST Directive seeks to eliminate existing conspiracies and preemptively stifle any discourse that could lead to future theories. History shows that some once-dismissed conspiracies have ultimately proven true. Today, we risk seeing history repeat itself. The TRUST Directive, with its broad reach and calculated execution, threatens to silence the truth.


I will begin by telling you my story. I started my day as usual…



July 19, 2024 13:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Karen McDermott
12:13 Jul 23, 2024

A solid start to a longer story. Very chilling depiction of a propaganda-led state. All hail the humble typewriter! Congrats, and welcome to Reedsy.

Reply

Melinoe Renata
13:00 Jul 23, 2024

Thank you! I enjoyed writing it. I did not enjoy thinking of all the ways this could come to pass.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.