4 comments

Coming of Age Fiction

Prologue: 

March 22nd, 2017

I decided to write in a journal because I wanted to write down my thoughts. I hope I can confide in you and tell you my innermost feelings. Without further ado, let's begin!

March 23rd, 2017

It was a trip to Walmart when I saw you. You were a black bounded journal that had a sticker on it reading: "Pen+Gear Journal" I took off the sticker and instead place one of the personalized stickers that I had in my coloring box. My aunt likes to journal her thoughts so I was deeply inspired to do the same. I remember visiting my aunt just last week and she showed me and my older sister her albums of the trips she and her husband went on each year. She specifically showed us an album from last year where she and her husband went to Ecuador. As she paged through the album, I was horrified to see something. 

“Are those? . .” I asked her as she nodded happily. 

“Yes, fried guinea pig,” she replied as I nodded. 

I was mortified at seeing a fried guinea pig. I have heard of people in Ecuador eating guinea pigs, but seeing them as food was shocking. Besides that, after seeing my aunt’s albums, I actually started thinking about making an album one day. In my album, I would put pictures of the trips my family and I have been on such as Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson, and Arlington. I remember the trip to Arlington like it was yesterday. The trip to Arlington was rather long because we drove in a car instead of on a plane. My parents decided it would be better to drive by car instead of on a plane. As a result, we had to pass along many different places such as El Paso, Las Cruces, and New Mexico. But something good did come out of it. We passed by many Love's gas stations and we ate at Chester's. I remember waking up from a nap and seeing my family ask me what I wanted from Chesters. It was pretty good.

Yours, Aaron. 

March 25th, 2017

I forgot to tell you that my name is Aaron and I am in the 8th grade.(Sorry) Anyways, I am very excited because I’m almost done with the school year. I do have to take the state test, but that doesn’t matter because at least I will finish the school year. Also, I am excited to go to high school because the history and science textbooks are actually going to be in English! In context, I am in the Dual Program and from 1st grade to 8th grade we had Spanish textbooks in history and science ever since. Well in high school, I’m just going to take one Spanish class which is either Spanish 1 or AP Spanish, and have the rest in English. (I prefer reading history in English instead of Spanish.) My Spanish teacher, Ms. Hernandez told us that we would do a lot of handwritten emails during the span of 15 minutes in AP Spanish. We do handwritten emails in 8th grade too and it's very easy. Just yesterday, I did a handwritten email in 15 minutes and I got it done, so I’m proud of myself. Earlier in math, we took the CAASPP test, which is the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress, and it was easy. The CAASPP testing handles English, Math, and Science. To my shock, we have to take the CAASPP Science test this year. This is required in 8th grade and I was warned beforehand so as to be prepared.

Yours, Aaron. 

April 1st, 2017

I never understand April Fools. Like fine, it’s okay if you want to make a harmless joke, I’m cool with that. But there is a fine line that you shouldn’t cross. Don’t take serious situations such as divorce and death and turn them into a joke! I don’t know how many Youtubers do this, but then again they're doing it for views. Whatever, besides my dislike for April Fool's day, I like the month of April. People say that April is the month when a lot of rain happens. I guess that’s right but since I live in a desert(figuratively) rain hardly comes by. Same thing with the weather! You will get annoyed at the fact that one week it’s cold and then another week it’s hot! Like, make up your mind! Also, I hate spring because it affects my allergies. The amount of pollen that is emitted is ridiculous and my mom’s flowers don’t help that much since they attract bees and other flying insects. 

Yours, Aaron

April 13th, 2017

Hello, nice to see you again. Recently I have been reading The Murder on the Orient Express and it’s very good! Even though I know what happens in the end, it’s fine. On the topic of books, my oldest brother has a ton of books, and just last year he finished War and Peace. He has a lot of classic books such as Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, and Crime and Punishment. I once read Crime and Punishment, but I thought it was too complicated. I will read it again one day. . .when I'm an adult.

See ya, by Aaron

April 25, 2017

It’s Tuesday and I’m still reading The Murder on the Orient Express. It’s getting more intense. I forgot to say that I read the Maze Runner series. It was a very good series that I had read in such a long time. There were also other book series that I have read and they were fine. Anyways, I have to take a shower. Peace out.

Yours, Aaron

April 26, 2017

Have you ever felt sad before? It's such an obvious question because we do get sad sometimes. I get sad a lot and it really pains me to see that being sad really affects me. I will admit that I cry some nights on my pillow and I start to have these bad thoughts in my head. I shake them away because if I let these thoughts cloud my mind, then they will affect me. When I am not sad, I am negative which annoys my parents and siblings. I try to stop being negative but I can't help it. It's something within me that I can't stop. I do want to stop being negative but I can't. To be honest, I think I may have HSP(a highly sensitive person.) The reason why I think this is because I really get deep with emotions. Like I get so overwhelmed when I face hardships from other people and I get sensitive when someone says something that makes me sad or angry. Anyways, I know this entry really was serious and I know I shouldn't assume I have HSP unless I get diagnosed by someone such as a doctor. I was very scared to tell you today about this topic, but then I remembered my introductory entry where I said to you that I would confide in you and tell you my innermost thoughts. So I decided to just write and not care. You really are a comfort, you know that? Well, I've decided to take a break even though I had written a few entries. It's just that I am going to be busy with school with tons of homework. But don't worry, I will write to you soon but for right now, farewell.

Sincerely, Aaron.

March 27, 2022 05:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Zelda C. Thorne
21:14 Apr 02, 2022

Hi Calm Shark, I liked this story. Sounds like this person needs to let it all out and keep writing in the diary! Doing so is clearly helping them. Well done.

Reply

Calm Shark
21:15 Apr 02, 2022

Thanks, Rachel, and yeah writing your thoughts really helps!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delia Tomkus
11:57 Mar 31, 2022

Sometimes even the smallest things stress me out, so I totally get it. I have definitely had those nights where I read for hours just trying to cool down. I liked this story, even though I don't usually love the "diary" format

Reply

Calm Shark
14:40 Mar 31, 2022

Thank you Delia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.