0 comments

Happy Kids

“Mommy?”

“Now Angel what are you doing awake? It’s naptime?” Jessica asked the little boy who was poking his head in the kitchen. His curly, brown hair was sticking up in all the wrong places and his mom could see bits of dry saliva against his tannish skin. Angel’s pj shirt was hanging off his shoulder, but it had only been a thirty-minute nap for the young six-year-old.

           “I’m still hungry.” Angel pouted getting Jessica to give a small scowl to the boy as she placed down the paperwork she was working on.

“And that is why I said to eat all your lunch baby boy.”

           “I know…can we make something else?” Angel smiled watching his mom’s face lighten up knowing she couldn’t stay mad at him for long. Jessica slowly started putting up her blonde hair, always prepared with a scrunchie on her wrist and a kick in her step.

“Well, if we are going to make something it’s got to be big enough for your sisters.” Jessica tried not to laugh at the boy’s scowl that rivaled her own. Angel seemed to be thinking as his mom started clearing off the countertops of her weekend worksheets. Taking work home wasn’t always fun, but she got a lot of it done on the weekends since her “babies” were mostly out of the house.

           “Fine, but I get to eat the biggest piece.” Angel said making his mom finally crack up as she walked up to him.

“Alright, but I need you to wash your hands and when you come back, we can get started.”

“Yes mommy!” Angel shouted while running to the kitchen sink and putting the stool next to it. “What are we going to make?”

           “Hmm well it has to be something quite sweet; wouldn’t you agree?”

“Yes!”

           “Luckily, I was going to make great grandpa’s apple pie this evening.” She pulled out some of the ingredients from the fridge and turned on the oven as Angel moved the stool to the countertop. He was already tapping his foot as he waited, but his mom had to wash her own hands. “Now to get the recipe.” Jessica pulled out a big folder full of different recipes from family to just a regular, old cookbook. Angel watched her flip through the papers and shortly saw her face squish up like she ate a sour candy.

           “What’s wrong mommy?”

“I can’t find the recipe.”

           “Oh-no, are we not going to make the pie?” Angel said poking out his lip. A similar pout ran across her pink lips, but Jessica put the folder away.

                       “Of course, we will.” Jessica smiled as she laid out the tools, they would need to make this dessert.

           “But we don’t have the recipe; how are we going to do it?” Angel asked while taking the rolling pin then pressing it on the cooled dough. Jessica had already made the dough beforehand and allowed him to handle the rolling. It was his favorite part after all.

“I’m just going to have to remember. Your great grandpa and I would make this whenever I woke up from a nap too early.” Jessica smiled looking like she was remembering something special as Angel looked astonished.

           “Was that why you wanted me to help you?”

“Hehe, guilty.” She said while giving him a kiss on the cheek then cutting the apples. “Your great grandpa always wanted to make sure I was well fed and always full of sweets since I was the sweetest little girl.”

           “I’m sweet too! I’m not a girl, but I can be very sweet!” Angel said while pulling off the sticky part of the dough he forgot to flour up.

“Oh, your sisters would tell me otherwise.”

           “Huh?”

“Nothing.” Jessica giggled while placing the dough in the pie pin then stopped to think. “I believe we need to sprinkle something on the bottom of this.”

“What was it?”

           “It might have been powdered sugar.” Jessica said while they both put their hand in the bag and sprinkled it onto the dough. She then placed it into the freezer wanting to speed up the process for Angel’s sake. The little boy started to lick his fingers of the sugary goodness as his mom placed the cut-up pieces of apple in a bowl. “I hope you rewash those hands sir.”

“How did you see me?” Angel asked while seeing her turn around with the half full bowl.

           “I know everything. Now wash them.”

“Ok.” huffed Angel while moving the stool then washed his hands again. While he was doing that Jessica was having at hard time remembering what spices she was supposed to use. She chewed on her lip grabbing the cinnamon, all spice, and…chili powder? Jessica was if-y on that pick, but she always remembered her grandpa using something hot to make the apple pie taste interesting.

           “Want to help me mix this well?”

“Yes!” Angel said while taking the wooden spoon and mixing the spices with the apples more. Some of the pieces spilled to the side as Jessica tried to help keep the bowl stable. No point if it all ended up on the floor.

           “Taste it for me and I will get the pie crust.” Jessica said while they both did their jobs to get the pie all setup. “Taste alright?”

“Yup!”

           “Good, good.” Jessica said while putting the pan on the counter then helped her son pour the filling into the pie. She covered up the pie with the dough, happy that Angel rolled the dough big enough to cover it. Angel watched as his mom put the pie into the oven and set a timer that read an hour and thirty minutes. “You ready to wait?”

“Actually, I’m sleepy now.” Angel yawned not really willing to wait as his mom rolled her eyes but smiled.

           “Guess all that work made you sleepy. Tell you what; you finish your nap, and I will wake you up when the pie is done. Deal?”

“Deal!” Angel yawned while making his way back upstairs still licking a few of the stickiness off his hands.

           Jessica watched him go up then listened for the door to close as she cleaned up the workspace. It was messy and smelt wonderful, but she needed the area back for work. She placed the leftover supplies in their respectful places then looked at the oven. Apart of her was unsure about the ingredients she picked, but she would know once it was done. Until then she got back to work on cleaning.

           After two hours, Jessica finally took the pie out of the oven seeing it was perfectly done. The strong scent of apple cinnamon clouded the air and the golden crust of the pie looked crunchy. Jessica placed it on the cooling rack and made her way to her son’s room who was still sounded asleep. She stared at him wondering if she could keep this quiet a little longer, however she did promise him she would wake him up when it was done.

           “Hello my little Angel.” Jessica said softly while peppering his face with kisses as he slowly groaned and tried to run from them.

“No more kisses.”

           “Aww, but I love you.”

“Mommy!” Angel groaned while rubbing his eyes and then realized the house smelt like Christmas day. “Is the pie done?”

“Yup, that’s why I came to wake you.” Jessica said while giving him one last kiss and making her way out the door. Angel was hot on her heels and took the steps two-by-two to try to make it first. He somehow did and Jessica could only shake her head. “Hungry?”

“Yes.”

           “Good.” She said while cutting him a big piece then placed it on a plate. She got herself a smaller piece and took a seat next to him. Angel got up to grab himself and his mom a juice box as Jessica thanked him.

           “Time to eat!” Angel said quickly stuffing his face with the dessert as Jessica took a bite from it. She chewed then swallowed and thought for a moment. That moment became longer as Angel looked at his mom’s face while taking a sip of fruit punch. “What’s wrong?”

“It doesn’t taste like your great grandpa’s…I messed it up for us both.” Jessica sighed while looking at the piece of pie with disgust. She was so ashamed that she couldn’t remember the recipe from heart, and it was ruined all because she couldn’t find the instructions of it.

           Angel looked at her then at the pie. “I like it, we made it together, so I think it’s good.”

“You like it?” Jessica asked while Angel looked at her like she grown a second head.

           “Duh! I’m almost done, see.”

Jessica looked at his plate and saw only a quarter of it left. She stared at it for a moment and laughed surprising Angel. Jessica then gave him a big hug and said, “You’re right, it is good especially since we made it together.” 

December 12, 2020 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.